My first video (Dark Horror Techno)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Carl Lofgren

My first video (Dark Horror Techno)

Post by Carl Lofgren » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:52 pm

After lurking under the interweb radar I've decided to take my personal-oh-boy-I-am-insane-project Bloatfield to the surface and see what happens if you take the indie road - making everything yourself.

So here it is - my first video ever! Hope you all enjoy it - it was much much fun making it - and I can't wait to start the next video.

If you like the music - please! Download it. Spread it! I got a whole album to be downloaded for free at http://www.bloatfield.com and early next week I'll put up a bunch of crazy good remixes - also for free.

YAM YAM! Have a nice friday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... ztaDMqUFo8

(anyone knows how to embed videos here? not possible?)

/C
Last edited by Carl Lofgren on Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
PLUGHUGGER - deep music tech review blog - www.plughugger.com

Bizon

Re: My first video (Hard Hard Techno)

Post by Bizon » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:46 pm

I could see this song being played in some scene where some sketchy looking dude goes an a rampage and starts killing people. Some very angry music you got there. Interesting though.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:19 pm

This misses the mark on hard hard techno. Also hard techno. In fact I didn't think it was that hard at all. More deep and groovy with horror film noises and a nasty electro bass.

Don't get wrong, I liked it, but this was not what I expected from the thread title.

Nice video, gets better towards the end.

Overall solid stuff mate :-)

Edit: please bear in mind I spend a large amount of every day listening to techno and hardtechno at 145-150bpm plus... My view is probably skewed a little
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

Carl Lofgren

Re: My first video (Horror Techno)

Post by Carl Lofgren » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:12 am

ollyb303 wrote:This misses the mark on hard hard techno. Also hard techno. In fact I didn't think it was that hard at all. More deep and groovy with horror film noises and a nasty electro bass.

Don't get wrong, I liked it, but this was not what I expected from the thread title.

Nice video, gets better towards the end.

Overall solid stuff mate :-)

Edit: please bear in mind I spend a large amount of every day listening to techno and hardtechno at 145-150bpm plus... My view is probably skewed a little
Damn it - you are right. The description actually sucks. But I'm glad you found the groove - I have been involved in way too many 'please produce this kind of music' and this project is sort of my naked self. Weirdly enough I'm almost as surprised to hear the result myself. It got a life of its own in a way.

Thanks for commenting - and how the fick do I change the subject... hmm... Dark Horror Groove Techno is a way better description :lol:

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:27 am

Dark horror groove techno is bang on mate.

Just listened again and really enjoyed. Is it a speak and spell doing the vocal?
ob1techno.com

Carl Lofgren

Post by Carl Lofgren » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:38 am

ollyb303 wrote:Just listened again and really enjoyed. Is it a speak and spell doing the vocal?
LOL - yes, the old Speak and Spell. Quite funny to puzzle together phrases actually. Lovely fkcups are inevitable :lol:

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:54 am

I used to have one, used it in a couple of tracks. Then I circuit-bent it and made some excellent noises that I used in a few tracks. Then I circuit-bent it some more and broke it completely!
ob1techno.com

Carl Lofgren

Post by Carl Lofgren » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:05 am

Hey - you're bringing up an excellent point. I've actually been wondering if there exist any tool that can simulate circuit bending. Sure, there are repeaters and in some extent - Sugar Bytes stuff can be used to create some similar effects - but in order to get real fckups - real circuit bending gives the best results. It would be so damn cool if this could be simulated in some way. You don't know about anything like that do you?

/C

ollyb303

Re: My first video (Dark Horror Techno)

Post by ollyb303 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:14 am

I've never heard of anything that can simulate it properly. The delight of circuit bending is all in the happy accidents, which I think would be very difficult to simulate with software.

No substitute for finding old toys and brining them back to life with a soldering iron to make horrible noises!!!
ob1techno.com

acidpenguin

Post by acidpenguin » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:36 pm

Nice tune :)

From 3mins in would sound pretty fierce on a big rig, although agree 'hard techno' isn't the right tag.

Wasn't quite so sure about the vid (nothing wrong with it mind).. just feel it could have been darker and scarier maybe.

synnack

Post by synnack » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:22 am

Which one of these girls are you?
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Carl Lofgren

Post by Carl Lofgren » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:17 am

tempus3r wrote:Which one of these girls are you?
Not more than 50% - since the dark haired hird is my wife... :) I'm not in the picture anywhere. I become horribly stiff whenever there is a camera going. We tried a few shots - but it all looked unnatural.

/C

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:10 am

Not my style at all, but the heavy bassline half way in sounds REAL good!!

Carl Lofgren

Post by Carl Lofgren » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:15 am

Rabalder wrote:Not my style at all, but the heavy bassline half way in sounds REAL good!!
If I remember correctly - I came up with it when I was reviewing Sonalksis Ubercompressor TBK3 a long long time ago. The TBK3 is still unchallenged when it comes to turn a sound inside out. Very inspirational. Such a shame Dave went doing his own stuff - way too complex for my taste. I like the few-knobs-one-trick-pony approach.

/C

Carl Lofgren

Post by Carl Lofgren » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:34 am

ollyb303 wrote:This misses the mark on hard hard techno.
Just want to give a little bump for the remixes I've just uploaded. As the album they are for free - I just want fans - and can be downloaded at www.bloatfield.com.

A couple of friends of mine - minimal tech-heads - spent about two months working on their remix which might rub your kettle. Fkcing brilliant work if you ask me.

Linear (Technoviking remix) - http://www.nimbitmusic.com/bloatfield/# ... lationvol1

/C