Need ideas: BPM transition

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dtrue17

Need ideas: BPM transition

Post by dtrue17 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Hello,

I'm working on a mashup with a "verse" that's running at one tempo (98bpm) and needs to slow down (to somewhere between 94 and 96) for the "chorus", else it really does not sound right. The verse sounds great at 98 and the chorus sounds great at 96. Neither of them sound good at the other tempos, so I need this transition.

However, I'm not experienced enough to know how to handle this. I tried an abrupt tempo change and messed with an auto-filter and volumes to ease into it, but it still doesn't sound right. Any ideas how I can transition?

(while typing this I just had an idea to use a 2 measure fill to slow it down, but still would like ideas!)
Ableton Live 8.2.8
Roland TD-3SW Drum Kit
ASUS G-series, Intel i7 2.8Ghz, 6GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

Warrior Bob

Re: Need ideas: BPM transition

Post by Warrior Bob » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:13 pm

At a technical level, automate the tempo change so you can make it as gradual or not as you like.

Musically, I'm not sure how to make that work, if it's any kind of popular song form. Generally I find I tend to like the choruses a little faster since that creates a bit of energy, not the other way around. You might try a prechorus section, like you suggested, whose job it is to transition those two speeds, either with something arryhthmic or designed to sound good while slowing down. It might sound better as a two measure phrase than a fill though.

Can you put your finger on exactly what it is that doesn't sound right about your sections at different tempos?

dtrue17

Post by dtrue17 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:44 pm

yeah, it's a musical problem here, nothing technical.

I can't really identify it, but going from the verse to the chorus, actually, it feels exactly like walking on a moving treadmill at an airport, then stepping off onto the regular floor.

What I need is something that hints at a tempo transition, or some way to ease into it. Just searching for inspiration.

If it works, I'll share it :P
Ableton Live 8.2.8
Roland TD-3SW Drum Kit
Windows 7 64-bit

jellycaster

Post by jellycaster » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:54 pm

well, you could use a short section which has no obvious bpm, such as an ambient wash or white noise build...

or, you could put the beat to half-time (if you're already at half time go to normal time), or some other switch-up

it's pretty hard to offer much without hearing the parts and the context

if this was me, i would be doing my best to make them both work at the same tempo. i take it you have tried slicing and warping and stuff like that?

dtrue17

Post by dtrue17 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:19 pm

yeah, some good ideas there. I've already made the chorus at the same tempo as the verse, but it does not sound right at all. I've lowered the tempo of the verse to match the chorus and it loses the energy which is the entire backbone of the remix.

I like the ambient idea. I'll try messing around with hiding some of the pulse, or making it less obvious, while I do a transition.

Just these few comments have already got my head buzzing with ideas. Thanks guys
Ableton Live 8.2.8
Roland TD-3SW Drum Kit
Windows 7 64-bit