MAudio Audiophile Nightmare - Prelisten Outputs!!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Lowride

MAudio Audiophile Nightmare - Prelisten Outputs!!!!

Post by Lowride » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:17 pm

I'm maybe just completely clueless but I can't configure my Audiophile to do Prelistening ie for listening to tracks I want to bring into a mix.

I know it's probably a crazy small error I've made, but for some reason I can't get i to work.

Ideally I'ld want the textbook set up where the headphones output is channels 1+2 on the card, and 3+4 would be for the main mix.

I ahve gone through the Tut on the main ableton website, but it has proved less than fruitful. I have previously had it working, but for some reason it doesn't work now - probably an error I have made somewhere.

So how do I do it? I'm using Ableton 4.

Lowride

mosca

Post by mosca » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:51 pm

what audiophile?

i use an audiophile FW - in ableton set the cue out (above the master fader) to out 3&4 the push the button on the front of the audiophile to monitor 3&4 thru the headphones.

simple as that

mos

THEOROUSSOS

M AUDIO audiophile USB

Post by THEOROUSSOS » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:57 pm

Dear Lowride, if you had any luck help me!
Not able to cue on live 4 with M-AUDIO audiophile USB
Cheers

Chalupa

Post by Chalupa » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:12 pm

i have maudiophile usb also and i was very upset to discover that
it was advertised to be having headphone outs
but they are not on a seperate channel from the masters out
this is very annoying especially because the models that has the correct configurations to do this is more than twice as much expensive
sorry guys :(

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:35 am

This may not be the answer for you, but...
I have the PCI Audiophile with only 1 set of stereo RCA outputs. I was able to set it up for prelistening at the cost of having mono outputs. I know, I know, you probably don't want mono but given that most PA's are mono its not really a change at all except you get an extra set of outputs.
Anyway, go to Audio Preferences and disable your stereo outputs and enable the mono outputs. Now you've got two separate outputs from Live. Set one to Master and one to Cue. Now run one RCA output to the PA and run the other RCA output to headphones, probably with some creative cabling. I'm out of town and unfortunately away from my studio computer, so thats all the detail I have access to, but the manual can fill in the rest.
It works, and there is little practical difference in the sound. In fact, working in mono has helped me create better mono mixes. Personally I wish for surround PA's...oh well.

stallos

Post by stallos » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:25 pm

I have the FW audiophile and have it working OK.

A few things for you to check.

Check to make sure that pre-listening is enabled in live and that in the hardware output config (in preferences) you have enabled 1 +2 and 3+4 as outputs.

Choose to prelisten on 1 + 2 and Main out set to 3+ 4.

If this is still not working check what you values you have set in the FW mixer control panel. It may be these have inadvertently changed. You restore defualts using the relevant button. I believe the defaults are set up to enable pre-listening.

Make sure the A/B switch is properly set too.

Hopefully this will lead you in the right direction.
cheers
Stal

Lowride

Post by Lowride » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:36 pm

Stallos, thanks for the info.
I'm not sure what he problem is. I'll see if I can use your advice, and get it to work...

Lowride

Chalupa

Post by Chalupa » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:17 pm

the FW audiophile has 2 stereo outs (1+2, 3+4)
the USB audiophile only has 1 pair (1+2)
you cant get it to work because it wont
unless you set it up for mono 1= prelisten 2=master out
which of course sucks.

pussErox

Post by pussErox » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:48 pm

Chalupa wrote:the FW audiophile has 2 stereo outs (1+2, 3+4)
which of course sucks.
I don't understand this, and am having the same probs. I'd like to believe the above statement, however my options in Ableton offer me outputs to ch1&2 as well as 3&4. I have a USB Audiohile. I was under the impression you could program the headphones to output on ch1&2 or 3&4. But no matter which you choose the cue comes out the headphone and RCA channels consistantly. Weird. Going to investigate, try different ASIO drivers, maybe the ASIO for alls will work with this. Any ideas?

louZ

Post by louZ » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:21 pm

I have the same thing with the Omni i/o I bought with my Delta 66 PCI. The headphone and monitor outs are both connected to all 4 ins. To monitor independently I have to connect the monitors and headphones to the direct outs. I can only control levels from within the software then.
Windows XP, P4 2.4Ghz, 2 x 250Gb 7200rpm, 1Gb DDRAM, M-Audio Delta 66 + Omni i/o

dpkni1

Post by dpkni1 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:50 am

If you only have 1 set of I/O's...ie. 1+2, you might want to do a google search on Asiox. Only works on Windows 2000 and XP, but it allows you to use your external card and your internal card at the same time. So you can cue with the internal card and master out with the external one.
half a man walks with no shadow

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:58 am

pussErox wrote:
Chalupa wrote:the FW audiophile has 2 stereo outs (1+2, 3+4)
which of course sucks.
I don't understand this, and am having the same probs. I'd like to believe the above statement, however my options in Ableton offer me outputs to ch1&2 as well as 3&4. I have a USB Audiohile. I was under the impression you could program the headphones to output on ch1&2 or 3&4. But no matter which you choose the cue comes out the headphone and RCA channels consistantly. Weird. Going to investigate, try different ASIO drivers, maybe the ASIO for alls will work with this. Any ideas?
What he is saying is that an advertised HEADPHONE OUTPUT does not equal an extra pair of outputs.

I don't think there is a single audio interface who's headphone output isn't a mirror of an output available on the unit itself, make sense?

if you have 1 stereo output, then the headphones will mirror that 1 stereo output.
if you have 2 stereo outputs, such as the firewire audiophile, you are given the option to mirror in the headphones either stereo out 1, or stereo out 2.

headphone output does not equal an additional seperate output.
it equals a mirrored output in 1/4" stereo headphone jack form.

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:19 am

Hi,

This is interesting in a bad way !

I'm currently putting the tracks together for my DJ Set on Live (Laptop).

I haven't used the prelisten yet.

I have been using my X-station (or the onboard) as a soundcard (not sure how many outputs this has but it does has a seperate headphone output - probably mirroring the main output - I'll check tonight).

I was thinking of gettting the Inigo DJ card or the new EMU 1616. Does anyone know if I will be able to prelisten/monitor seperatly to headphones with either of these cards ?

Thanks
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

dpkni1

Post by dpkni1 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:10 pm

the echo indigo dj card has two sets of outputs, so you can cue and send at the same time. check out the website, there's heaps of info and reviews etc on there. They have had some brilliant write-ups so seem like a nice, stable reliable way to go.

The only thing then is, you have no inputs. But if you've got another card i guess this is no issue.
half a man walks with no shadow

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:12 pm

I have an indigo DJ , there are 2 sets of stereo outs. one set is dedicated headphones out with its own physical volume control.

so, thats a yes

or you could run both stereo outs to a dj mixer and use that as your hardware prelisten device in the traditional manner.