Other DAWs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Evengy

Re: Other DAWs

Post by Evengy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:46 am

i have live and fl studio. i used both a few weeks but with deeper understanding about live i don´t use fl anymore. live offers so much more than i thought :-) can´t understand why people use something like 3 daws :D

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:49 am

3dot... wrote:reaper
Thats a DAW? I always though it was an IT utility of some kind with its cheap nasty UI ;)
Nothing to see here - move along!

1.A.M.

Post by 1.A.M. » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:55 am

Live for ideas/composing and arranging
Studio One for FX/mixing and mastering
Sound forge for surgically sound editing and sampling
Cheers

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:04 pm

pretty much all my music is done in live, i got reaper too and tend to use that for mastering. if im making something that doesnt need any warping or beatmatching (like some field recording or abstract thing) then i use reaper - i like the auto crossfades on items, the free item positioning on each track and the mixing of midi and audio on each track too. the timestretching by dragging is nice as well.

i just use it for simple stuff really, i know it does a lot more. i guess i go a lot deeper with live
and mastering in reaper with t racks vsts as live doesnt like them :x

and it's not a daw, but i use spear for some specific editing and sound creation

i tried using pro tools when i was at college but hated it - anything i tried to do in it i just thought 'i could do that better in ableton'

:)

CR78

Post by CR78 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:12 pm

Tarekith wrote:Logic and Studio One here.

Glad to see you're still using S1; I love it and the sooner they extend control surface
support, the better. :wink:

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:47 pm

Khazul wrote:
3dot... wrote:reaper
Thats a DAW? I always though it was an IT utility of some kind with its cheap nasty UI ;)
cheap and nasty... happens to be exactly how I like it 8)

redglass

Post by redglass » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:40 pm

Sibelius 6 for orchestral music.
Live for the rest.

modecai

Post by modecai » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:02 pm

JUST bought reason 6 last night. I think I'll be happy with it. Although it is very different from live. I love the possible routing capabilities/the devices are pretty cool. Its great, but its different.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:52 pm

modplug tracker

free and powerful

jwtownshend

Post by jwtownshend » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:03 pm

First time poster here. I am an Ableton newbie and I used to use FL Studio (I am waiting for performance mode - should be interesting) and I still use Reaper which is amazing considering they have only three full time staff - the audio routing/customisation/themeing possibilities are endless. It's lovely and cheap too. If you don't mind an occasionally dodgy midi editor...
I have used Reason in the past but now I am a vst fan so I don't think I'll go back there unless they start supporting that.
I am also a tracker newbie and have Renoise.

I am happy with Live especially for the creative side of things.

reticent

Post by reticent » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:00 pm

modecai wrote:JUST bought reason 6 last night. I think I'll be happy with it. Although it is very different from live. I love the possible routing capabilities/the devices are pretty cool. Its great, but its different.
What is cool about it though is that you can rewire it to Live, so that is pretty freaking cool.. almost like a gigantic VST

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:32 pm

I have

FL Studio
Sonar X1
Reaper
Reason 4+5
Acid Pro 7
Tracktion
Energy XT
Studio One

I collect sequencers like anglers collect lures. FL is still my favorite since it is more midi oriented, great sytnh, outstanding community support. I use Sonar when I need to look at a staff.
I remember getting these lite editions of Live bundled in M-Audio gear. I thought it was the dumbest looking piece of software. But it is the only one on the list that I have two licenses. I've found Live has other uses like using it to practice other instruments. It has some unique things about it that you are seeing other developers copy.
I like to learn other DAWs. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. There is no Holy Grail when it comes to a DAW. Somehow we always think the new ones before they are released (Bitwig) are that grail. I remember that praise Studio ONe got before it was released but it really isn't any different that the rest.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:30 am

Fl studio for arranging as it offers poweful piano roll, wave&specrum editor, curved automation, ghost notes and so on. Live's strength is in session mode for me.
Last edited by pencilrocket on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:31 am

kitekrazy wrote:I have

FL Studio
Sonar X1
Reaper
Reason 4+5
Acid Pro 7
Tracktion
Energy XT
Studio One

I collect sequencers like anglers collect lures. FL is still my favorite since it is more midi oriented, great sytnh, outstanding community support. I use Sonar when I need to look at a staff.
I remember getting these lite editions of Live bundled in M-Audio gear. I thought it was the dumbest looking piece of software. But it is the only one on the list that I have two licenses. I've found Live has other uses like using it to practice other instruments. It has some unique things about it that you are seeing other developers copy.
I like to learn other DAWs. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. There is no Holy Grail when it comes to a DAW. Somehow we always think the new ones before they are released (Bitwig) are that grail. I remember that praise Studio ONe got before it was released but it really isn't any different that the rest.
Yeah I'm almost as bad:
Live
Logic
Digital Performer
and ReNoise.

I may pick up Bitwig Studio, not sure.
It depends on whether or not I decide to upgrade one of the others.
Oddly enough only DP is on board for an upgrade in Spring sometime.
Both Logic and Live are waaay past due.

For me, Live and a traditional DAW are a great combo. I know people hate on the workflow that entails, but at this point I'm starting to write in DP so it's not that bad, you get audio files recorded, import them into Live for live use etc. and reWire Live into DP while composing for the better time stretching features etc. of Live. 8)

mouss3

Post by mouss3 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:58 am

I strictly use Live. For me, its by far the best. Even with THAT DAW about to be released, i'll still stick with Live, simply because i love it. Though, i must admit, i like the look of Reason 6 - if only it had VST support!