I have a Lightweight mixer question

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
o0o

I have a Lightweight mixer question

Post by o0o » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:55 pm

if I plug a single stereo 1/4 cable from my synth's headphone output into a single input on my soundcard and keep the panning in the center is that the same stereo as going from stereo right/left outputs on my synth into two channels on my soundcard?
I'm running out of inputs and am wondering if I can gain some by using this method?
rabbit

Cuica man

Re: I have a Lightweight mixer question

Post by Cuica man » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:20 pm

It's not the same. Most stereo synths have some type of Effects that move from right to left.
You can use the headphone plug... But when you plug it in to a mono channel you will only get left or right, not summed together. Usually synths have a mono output. Look at the left channel out and see if it say anything about mono out.

o0o

Post by o0o » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:48 am

thanks, does that mean that if I use the mono out it will sum the stereo signal then?
rabbit

savyurrecords

Post by savyurrecords » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:32 pm

It depends on the synth. A lot of producers just use the mono feed from a synth anyway. The onboard stereo effects work fine if that synth sound is the only thing in the mix but if you have a bunch of stereo synth tracks then you end up with 'big mono'

You really don't want it to sum anyway as most of these stereo effects in keyboards will sound phasey when summed to mono.

In short don't worry about it use the mono out and do your stereo stuff in the DAW itself

o0o

Post by o0o » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:26 am

Cuica man wrote:It's not the same. Most stereo synths have some type of Effects that move from right to left.
You can use the headphone plug... But when you plug it in to a mono channel you will only get left or right, not summed together. Usually synths have a mono output. Look at the left channel out and see if it say anything about mono out.

and just to make sure I understand you guys correctly. the synth I'm talking about is a juno 60, and the cable I have running from the 60s headphone output is a stereo cable, 2 black lines on the jack not 1, and that cable is going into a single track on the audio interface, that track is panned in the center.
rabbit