DJ equipment suggestions for beginners.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eggnchips

DJ equipment suggestions for beginners.

Post by eggnchips » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:07 am

Hey chaps,

I have been working on a youth project with kids who want to DJ, and there are a couple of kids who would like to take it up and buy some gear.
Do any of you have any equipment suggestions?

There a few a few things that need to be considered:
There are sadly no more vinyl shops where we live so it would preferably have to be a digital solution.
A vinyl feel is however important as they want to scratch.
Low budget is also very important as the are kids whose parents won't want to part with €€€€€ to buy CDJ's etc.

I was thinking about suggesting the NI Kontrol S2 http://www.native-instruments.com/#/pro ... ontrol-s2/
as it looks good for the job although I have no experience of it.

What you think?
Casio keyboard with 48k ZX Spectrum, a couple of tambourines and a triangle.
MUHK RECORDS

mharris

Re: DJ equipment suggestions for beginners.

Post by mharris » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:20 am

I used one of these for the first time on the weekend. What impressed me the most was that I was able to walk up to it, having never seen one before and start mixing perfectly acceptable mixes straight away. It felt remarkably similar to CDJ's. Even beat-matching properly using the pitch fader instead of the sync button felt familiar and comfortable.

I was only using it for about 20 minutes at a friends house, so cant really comment on the features or anything else apart from saying how easy it is to transition from other equipment to this. Haven't got a clue about whether its possible to scratch on one, I'll let someone else answer that. On the S4 that I used, the jog wheel looked a little small for scratching.

Post by 102455 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:38 am

For a limited budget and use with a computer I would suggest either a Hercules RMX or a Numark Mixtrack (or Mixtrack Pro).

The Hercules is small but has two 'players' and a mixer, and the Numark is larger so looks a bit more 'professional' and less like a toy.

In that market sector though, they are both fairly limited (from a pro DJ POV) but it will be possible for them to scratch. Not like Q Bert, but good enough for kids to play around.

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:39 am

soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

eggnchips

Post by eggnchips » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:31 pm

The Behringer looks good. I wonder how much it will cost in comparison to the Traktor S2.
I am guessing the Behringer won't come with software.
MUHK RECORDS

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:33 pm

I say get and older version of Traktor like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Trakto ... 500wt_1416

Then look for some turntables.
nice price on these, you may even find cheaper somewhere.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-TECHNICS-S ... 500wt_1416

plus some simple mixer, and old used one, something vestax.

maybe even something like this
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=DJ+ ... &_from=R40

I would consider a few other things other than just DJing, for example the tactile experience of hooking up equipment and using actual turntables. Those would be things one could learn and not realize how much they are "learning." Plus they would be getting somewhat of a history lesson with turntables. ALSO, the turntables will never go out of style or be outdated or need upgraded software to work, if you take care of them you will be able to use them as long as you live.

Granted these things will cost a bit more, but the decks will out last an S2. Maybe down the road you could invest in a newer version of Traktor or Serato.
EVERYTIME I do a DJ gig, someone comes up to me and says, "COOL you still use turntables, havent seen that in years." When kids see my rig they want to mess with the turntables, not my APC40.
Also learning to DJ like that, gives a budding DJ the opportunity to get into controllers, if they choose, flawlessly.

I bought 2 Tecnics 1200's and a cheap mixer on ebay for 600 once. Got rid of the mixer in a garage sale, but the Turntables will always be as good as I got em.

just my 2 cents.

eggnchips

Post by eggnchips » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:29 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:I say get and older version of Traktor like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Trakto ... 500wt_1416

Then look for some turntables.
nice price on these, you may even find cheaper somewhere.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-TECHNICS-S ... 500wt_1416

plus some simple mixer, and old used one, something vestax.

maybe even something like this
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=DJ+ ... &_from=R40

I would consider a few other things other than just DJing, for example the tactile experience of hooking up equipment and using actual turntables. Those would be things one could learn and not realize how much they are "learning." Plus they would be getting somewhat of a history lesson with turntables. ALSO, the turntables will never go out of style or be outdated or need upgraded software to work, if you take care of them you will be able to use them as long as you live.

Granted these things will cost a bit more, but the decks will out last an S2. Maybe down the road you could invest in a newer version of Traktor or Serato.
EVERYTIME I do a DJ gig, someone comes up to me and says, "COOL you still use turntables, havent seen that in years." When kids see my rig they want to mess with the turntables, not my APC40.
Also learning to DJ like that, gives a budding DJ the opportunity to get into controllers, if they choose, flawlessly.

I bought 2 Tecnics 1200's and a cheap mixer on ebay for 600 once. Got rid of the mixer in a garage sale, but the Turntables will always be as good as I got em.

just my 2 cents.

Like I said, we live in a place where vinyl and decks are hard to come by. Digital is a better option.
MUHK RECORDS

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:41 pm

I'm suggesting a DVS system, not necessarily "records" on vinyl.

login

Post by login » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:24 pm

Checl the Stanton scs.4dj http://www.stantondj.com/stanton-contro ... cs4dj.html it doesnt need a computer, but it can also be used with one as a controller.

Also beheringer is going to realease a new line of cotrollers the all in one will cost something like 300 uSD http://www.behringer.com/ES/Category/US ... spx?s=O500

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:16 am

eggnchips wrote:Like I said, we live in a place where vinyl and decks are hard to come by. Digital is a better option.
I'm with JuanSOLO.

You'll be able to pick up a decent pair of decks and a mixer and a few crates of vinyl pretty cheaply and it's a great way to learn the basics.

If learning to scratch is a high priority then it's another good reason to go with vinyl to begin with.

You've always got the option of Traktor in the future to go digital.
MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 - OS X 10.7.4

FrankieP

Post by FrankieP » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:42 am

You might want to look at Numark's V7, NS7 or NS6 if you're looking for real vinyl feel (except that it's 7" instead of 12") for scratching. The platter is motorized and high torqued just like turntables but it's an all digital controller. It's bundled together with Serato Itch. The NS7/NS6 is all in one and comes with it's own mixer. If you want more flexibility, then I suggest the V7's coz it's a separate unit and you could use your own mixer. I have 2 myself and they're built like a tank. If 2 V7's is out of your budget, you can actually use only one V7 to control Serato Itch. It has a switch you can toggle to control deck A or B. You always have that option to add another unit in the future.

here's a review at DJTechtools... http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/11/23/n ... x5-review/

Gregwaah

Post by Gregwaah » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:02 pm

I have the S2 & I highly recommend it. The jog wheels are a little small, which was said earlier, but it just takes a little getting used to. If learning to scratch is your thing, these will help you get there.

eggnchips

Post by eggnchips » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:01 pm

Good suggestions thanks.
Is there anybody with experience of the Stanton SCS 4DJ?
MUHK RECORDS

Nick Shepherd

Post by Nick Shepherd » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:39 pm

^ not personally but i heard complaints about the somehow sketchy "DaRouter" software, that is needed to get those things running - the name alone puts me off

i find all-in-one 2 or 4 deck dj-controllers far more straight forward and really enjoy mixing on them.

really love my S4, but if the budged is a bit tighter i would really consider the S2 or a Denon MC3000 and since the S2 is the currently cheaper unit - that would be my pick as a recommendation

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:03 pm

No offense to anybody on here who put in the time and years, but I think at this point if you’re just getting started there’s absolutely no reason to get started on vinyl decks.