Digital clock sync & direct monitoring issue

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
icedsushi

Digital clock sync & direct monitoring issue

Post by icedsushi » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:28 pm

I've spent a whole day trying to get this to work. :x Here's my digital input signal chain, different scenarios tested all connected with SPIDF RCA cables:

No Sync:
Lavry AD11 -> TC Fireworx -> Komplete Audio 6 (Komplete Audio 6 rejects external clock when selected)
Fireworx -> Komplete Audio 6 (Komplete Audio 6 rejects external clock when selected)
Komplete Audio 6 -> TC Fireworx (Fireworx rejects sync with Komplete Audio 6 as master)

Sync:
Lavry AD11 -> TC Fireworx
Lavry AD11 -> Komplete Audio 6 (Komplete Audio 6 accepts external clock when selected)

So there is something wrong between the Fireworx & the Komplete Audio 6. The first is the desired signal chain and others were used for testing to isolate the problem area. I'm using the latest NI driver & firmware update. There is no software control panel for the Komplete Audio 6 with OSX, all settings are done via audio midi setup.

I've tested the same signal chain with my Motu 828mkII and that works in all scenarios. But I will need a USB interface from now on, so using that interface won't be a long term solution.

So any ideas...Am I stuck looking for another interface? Or do I just need to accept that I can't use the Fireworx digitally before the Komplete Audio 6?

Here's another issue. The Komplete Audio 6 doesn't support direct monitoring of the digital inputs (only the analog inputs), so I'd have to figure out a workaround for that. Besides these 2 things, I really like the interface & want to make it work.

EHDNA

Re: Digital clock sync & direct monitoring issue

Post by EHDNA » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Did you ever figure out how to record from the digital in? I just bought one of these a couple of weeks ago. So far, I can get digital audio out of it, but I want to track digitally from my MPC1000 into Ableton. I am not able to set external sync to the MPC either. Whether the MPC is not sending it or the Komplete is not receiving it, I don't know.

icedsushi

Re: Digital clock sync & direct monitoring issue

Post by icedsushi » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:13 pm

I never got it to work with the TC Fireworx in the digital signal path. I contacted NI about it and it turned out that the Komplete Audio 6 is very finicky about the clock coming into it. They said they might check into improving the driver, but I haven't seen any updates yet. My only solution was to buy an RME Babyface which the digital I/O syncs flawlessly with all my gear.

I'd urge you to send NI a support email. The more people who tell them about it, the better chance of the issue being addressed.