Triggering clips: is this possible?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mr D

Re: Triggering clips: is this possible?

Post by Mr D » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:01 pm

Soooooo, i got it working.

With the help of MIDI Yoke and Miditrix (http://www.hermannseib.com/english/miditrix.htm)

dna598

Post by dna598 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:57 am

i'd like to try this method of recording clips, to see what advantage it holds.

any chance you could post the set-up procedure?
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

UCAudio

Post by UCAudio » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:08 pm

dna598 wrote:you can choose the quantize value before you play them in, or line them up in the arrange using the mouse.
This is one of the things I'm hoping they fix with Live 9. A lot of times I like recording to the arrange view with quantize off so I can manually do my own beat repeates by triggering pads in real time, at various rhythms. I'd like to be able to then quantize those clip start points to the grid in the arrange view but you can't do this... have to reposition/snap each clip start point manually with the mouse for all tracks which is a real time drainer.

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:05 pm

dna598 wrote:i'd like to try this method of recording clips, to see what advantage it holds.

any chance you could post the set-up procedure?
OK, here we go:

Step 1: install Midi Yoke

S2: run MidiTrix (you don't install it, you just need to run it each time)

S3: route your midi controller input to MidiYoke 1 & MidiYoke 2 in the MidiTrix matrix

S4: create a new Ableton set

S5: create two midi tracks, let's call them A & B

S6: On track B, insert a VSTi

S7: Also on track B, create a midi clip in a clip slot, containing some midi data like a chord.

S8: In your Ableton midi preferences, make sure that "track" is set to "on" for both MidiYoke 1 & 2

S9: In your Ableton midi preferences, make sure that "remote" is set to "on" for only MidiYoke 2

S10: Make sure your midi controller is outputing only on channel 2

S11: Hit the "midi map mode" switch, click on your midi clip (in a slot of track B), then hit C3 on your keyboard

S12: select "all ins" on the midi input selector on track A, and select "no output" for it's midi out.

S13: arm session recording on track A

S14: hit record in the arrange window and record some live playing on C3 on your keyboard - you should hear your clip being triggered

S15: now you should have midi events recorded on both tracks A & B (clips on track B, and repeated C3 midi notes on track A)

S16: delete the midi events you just recorded on track B

S17: IMPORTANT: now select "no input" on track A's midi input, and select Midi Yoke 2 as it's output, and select midi channel 2 as the output channel

S18: now, when you hit play, track A will send out C3 to Midi Yoke 2 on channel 2. This then loops back in to your clip and triggers it every time C3 plays on track A!

S19: set your midi controller to output on midi channel 1 again, so you don't trigger your clip every time you hit C3 on your keyboard!

I think that's it, hope it makes sense!

It's a bit complicated, but give you lots more possibilities for triggering clips, like for example applying a groove to the timing.

Mr D.

EDIT: after some more experimenting, i realized that the midi routing i described above is unnecessarily complicated, but at least it give you an idea. In fact you could just use this routing:
Miditrix = midi keyboard input mapped to MidiYoke 1 only.
Track A's routing can just be left like this all the time: midi in = MidiYoke 1, all channels. Track A midi output = MidiYoke 2, channel 2

dna598

Post by dna598 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:30 pm

ok thanks, i ma give it a try
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

Turtoll

Post by Turtoll » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:46 am

I do not like midi yoke, I prefer the Loopbe. It is only suggested use. My language is Portuguese sorry.