MPC style note repeat

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
steveyeager

MPC style note repeat

Post by steveyeager » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:15 pm

MPC note repeat works on all pads, it's not possible to have note repeat on 1 pad (tell meif i'm wrong)

In ableton, how could you achieve note (beat) repeat on 1 pad .

I want to set my hat to note repeat (16th) and be able to record that into a clip, whilst playing kick and snare beats at the same time, with no repeat

Is this doable?

I've had some odd behavior with Beat Repeat on a whole kit - sometimes when I hit a pad the note repeats , sometimes it doesn't

tx

Tohtruck

Re: MPC style note repeat

Post by Tohtruck » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:48 am

I'm afraid I'm not going to answer this question. But more so piggy back on it/bump it.

I also would like to know a good way to emulate MPC style note repeat in Live.

Is there a way to emulate the same kind of note repeat function as on the MPC's?

Specifically (and this would probably help you out steveyeager), I would like to know if there is a way to assign a button on a midi controller to turn the Beat Repeat function On/Off Momentarily. So that when you hold down the button to turn on the Beat Repeat, any notes you hold on a drum rack will repeat.

I know that it seems Maschine [and I think Battery has a similar function] can do this (pretty much exactly like the MPC), but I don't think Ableton Live has anything similar to it.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:51 am

it's doable but it takes some fiddling with Lives audio effects... which one escapes me ATM... so...

Bump!

paging Tone Deft.
please report to this thread.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:46 am

Put the Arpeggiator on the hat track, make sure there's no note distance transposition or distance. Something like that. Really easy. I think a Covert Operators vid on YT explains.
ImageImage

Tohtruck

Post by Tohtruck » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:32 am

These are the Covert Operators videos I was able to find regarding the Arpeggiator Plug-In.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCovOps/v ... rpeggiator

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:25 am

This thread made me curious so I just tried this out and it seems to work:

1. Insert an Instrument Rack
2. Drop a Drum Rack into the Instrument Rack
3. Drop an Arp in front of the Drum Rack (same chain)
4. Map the on/off switch of the Arp to Macro 1
5. Map the Rate control of the Arp to Macro 2
6. On the Arp, make Gate = 100% and Steps = 0 (distance setting won't matter if Steps = 0)

Ok, now you can turn the "note repeat" on with the macro dial, and change the rate of the repeats while playing back in real time with the second knob.

You can set up the Choke Groups in the drum rack after clicking the little I-O button on the left side of the rack.

However, note that when I set the Arp Style to "chord trigger," it still won't play polyphonically; e.g. if I play two pads at the same time and hold them, it alternates between them rather than playing back both simultaneously. My guess is that the Arp can only feed into one pad at a time, so if you play two pads, it switches back and forth between which one it's triggering. If you want to be able to trigger more than one pad simultaneously with the Note Repeat effect, you will have to load Arps into the individual pads of the Drum Rack instead of into the Instrument Rack Chain.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

steveyeager

Post by steveyeager » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 pm

Thanks All !!

The arp does the trick!

infinitystairs

Post by infinitystairs » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:05 am

mholloway wrote:This thread made me curious so I just tried this out and it seems to work:

6. On the Arp, make Gate = 100% and Steps = 0 (distance setting won't matter if Steps = 0)
However, note that when I set the Arp Style to "chord trigger," it still won't play polyphonically; e.g. if I play two pads at the same time and hold them, it alternates between them rather than playing back both simultaneously. My guess is that the Arp can only feed into one pad at a time, so if you play two pads, it switches back and forth between which one it's triggering...

-M
If you make the Gate something less than 100%, it does not have this problem. All notes fire simultaneously.