Controlling/Automating DSI Tetra

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
trevox
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:58 am

Controlling/Automating DSI Tetra

Post by trevox » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:24 am

I created a set of M4L patches to help control/automate a DSI Tetra in Live as I couldn't find one anywhere else, so after creating I thought I would post it. It uses a java object called nrpn_to_cc.js which you will have to download first and place in your Max directory. You can get it here (there's also links to some pretty useful information about nrpn's):

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=25586

I broke all parameters down into 6 modules which will pass through other midi and I only included elements I can see myself wanting to control or automate live (I think there is 75 or so). All parameter names show in the automation lanes which is pretty handy. You can get all devices here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30280761/Tetra_Control.zip

These patches are set up to work when you have your Tetra in either program mode or combo multi mode (send separate instances out different channels). If you want to control/automate in other modes, it is possible by offsetting the cc parameters. If you have 2 separate voices (A&B in program mode), the parameters to control "B" should be offset by 200. So for instance, fine tuning for OSC 1 is cc 1 for patch A, it should be 201 for patch B. Similarly, if you are using a combo and not in multimode, the parameters should be offset by the following: voice 1 - 512, voice 2 - 768, voice 3 - 1024 and voice 4 - 1280. The patches are not that complex, so you should be able to figure it out.

pgmjsd
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:46 pm

Re: Controlling/Automating DSI Tetra

Post by pgmjsd » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:57 am

Wow, nice... I'll have to try it out with my tetr4.

pochunwang
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:48 pm

Re: Controlling/Automating DSI Tetra

Post by pochunwang » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:55 pm

Thanks so much for posting this. Unfortunately I'm not advanced enough to get it working.
Would you mind telling me where exactly I should place the javascript files?
I've tried the main max folder, the cycling74 folder and the java/jsextensions folders inside that one.

I assume I have Live setup properly. A midi track controlling the tetra and one of your M4L patches loaded into it.

Image

taffmonster
Posts: 268
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:28 am
Location: Japan... you know, ninjas n stuff
Contact:

Re: Controlling/Automating DSI Tetra

Post by taffmonster » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:38 pm

trevox wrote:I created a set of M4L patches to help control/automate a DSI Tetra in Live as I couldn't find one anywhere else, so after creating I thought I would post it. It uses a java object called nrpn_to_cc.js which you will have to download first and place in your Max directory. You can get it here (there's also links to some pretty useful information about nrpn's):

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=25586

I broke all parameters down into 6 modules which will pass through other midi and I only included elements I can see myself wanting to control or automate live (I think there is 75 or so). All parameter names show in the automation lanes which is pretty handy. You can get all devices here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30280761/Tetra_Control.zip

These patches are set up to work when you have your Tetra in either program mode or combo multi mode (send separate instances out different channels). If you want to control/automate in other modes, it is possible by offsetting the cc parameters. If you have 2 separate voices (A&B in program mode), the parameters to control "B" should be offset by 200. So for instance, fine tuning for OSC 1 is cc 1 for patch A, it should be 201 for patch B. Similarly, if you are using a combo and not in multimode, the parameters should be offset by the following: voice 1 - 512, voice 2 - 768, voice 3 - 1024 and voice 4 - 1280. The patches are not that complex, so you should be able to figure it out.
Very cool. Wonder if this will work with a mopho too

trevox
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: Controlling/Automating DSI Tetra

Post by trevox » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:24 pm

pochunwang wrote:Thanks so much for posting this. Unfortunately I'm not advanced enough to get it working.
Would you mind telling me where exactly I should place the javascript files?
I've tried the main max folder, the cycling74 folder and the java/jsextensions folders inside that one.

I assume I have Live setup properly. A midi track controlling the tetra and one of your M4L patches loaded into it.

Image
Yes, I think Live is set up okay. The java script files can go into any folder in Max's search path. I just dumped all the contents into the Cycling 74 folder. You should be able to see if this is the issue in the Max window. If it doesn't say the objects cannot be found, the patch should work okay. The only other thing I can think of is that your Tetra will need to be set to accept NRPN controller data. Not sitting beside it now to check, but it is in Global settings somewhere - set it to receive NRPN and Midi.

trevox
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: Controlling/Automating DSI Tetra

Post by trevox » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:34 pm

taffmonster wrote:
trevox wrote:I created a set of M4L patches to help control/automate a DSI Tetra in Live as I couldn't find one anywhere else, so after creating I thought I would post it. It uses a java object called nrpn_to_cc.js which you will have to download first and place in your Max directory. You can get it here (there's also links to some pretty useful information about nrpn's):

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=25586

I broke all parameters down into 6 modules which will pass through other midi and I only included elements I can see myself wanting to control or automate live (I think there is 75 or so). All parameter names show in the automation lanes which is pretty handy. You can get all devices here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30280761/Tetra_Control.zip

These patches are set up to work when you have your Tetra in either program mode or combo multi mode (send separate instances out different channels). If you want to control/automate in other modes, it is possible by offsetting the cc parameters. If you have 2 separate voices (A&B in program mode), the parameters to control "B" should be offset by 200. So for instance, fine tuning for OSC 1 is cc 1 for patch A, it should be 201 for patch B. Similarly, if you are using a combo and not in multimode, the parameters should be offset by the following: voice 1 - 512, voice 2 - 768, voice 3 - 1024 and voice 4 - 1280. The patches are not that complex, so you should be able to figure it out.
Very cool. Wonder if this will work with a mopho too
I reckon it might. Would need to see if the NRPN numbers are the same, but I would imagine they probably are. Also, I have updated the patches as I had a few issues. I will update the zip file, so you should be able to get them using the same link. I think any changes will make sense, so won't explain too much! The two I can think of is adding on/off buttons so when you load the patch it doesn't send the default values to the tetra. Also, you cannot set the pitch values to any morph, so I included a number box to do this.

I'm still trying to figure out a better way of getting the tetra and these patches synced automatically, as you pretty much have to "initialise" the sound by manually changing the values in the patch. Once you do that, it works really well, but it can be painful to start with!

djadonis206
Posts: 6488
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:23 pm
Location: Seattle, WA.

Re: Controlling/Automating DSI Tetra

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:33 am

I can't get it to work either. I've set the Tetra to receive NRPN and midi. I've also tried putting the java files in the Cycling folder and the m4l patches folder. Can you show us the direst path you used to drop the java files?

Great idea. I'm glad you're trying to get this to work
Ableton | Elektron

Music

trevox
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: Controlling/Automating DSI Tetra

Post by trevox » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:41 pm

djadonis206 wrote:I can't get it to work either. I've set the Tetra to receive NRPN and midi. I've also tried putting the java files in the Cycling folder and the m4l patches folder. Can you show us the direst path you used to drop the java files?

Great idea. I'm glad you're trying to get this to work
Ah, I think I know what it may be - I forgot that I renamed the java external after downloading it :oops:. I think it is called something like "293.nrpn_to_cc.js"? Rename it to "nrpn_to_cc.js" or alternatively, change the object in all of the patches to whatever the downloaded version is called. The path I have it in is /Applications/Max5/Cycling '74/jsextensions. Let me know if that works.

In terms of automating and outputting the correct parameters, it all works fine for me. I would dearly love for communication to be both ways though so when you load a patch on the tetra, it updates these patches. Bit more work to be done there I think!

I just found this too:

http://code.google.com/p/ctrlr/download ... nloadCount

Haven't checked it out yet but could be exactly what everyone has been looking for.....a VST/AU plugin!!

trevox
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: Controlling/Automating DSI Tetra

Post by trevox » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:55 pm

taffmonster wrote:
trevox wrote:I created a set of M4L patches to help control/automate a DSI Tetra in Live as I couldn't find one anywhere else, so after creating I thought I would post it. It uses a java object called nrpn_to_cc.js which you will have to download first and place in your Max directory. You can get it here (there's also links to some pretty useful information about nrpn's):

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=25586

I broke all parameters down into 6 modules which will pass through other midi and I only included elements I can see myself wanting to control or automate live (I think there is 75 or so). All parameter names show in the automation lanes which is pretty handy. You can get all devices here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30280761/Tetra_Control.zip

These patches are set up to work when you have your Tetra in either program mode or combo multi mode (send separate instances out different channels). If you want to control/automate in other modes, it is possible by offsetting the cc parameters. If you have 2 separate voices (A&B in program mode), the parameters to control "B" should be offset by 200. So for instance, fine tuning for OSC 1 is cc 1 for patch A, it should be 201 for patch B. Similarly, if you are using a combo and not in multimode, the parameters should be offset by the following: voice 1 - 512, voice 2 - 768, voice 3 - 1024 and voice 4 - 1280. The patches are not that complex, so you should be able to figure it out.
Very cool. Wonder if this will work with a mopho too
I just checked and unfortunately the midi implementation is slightly different. It would be easy enough to change this. Open the patches and change the parameter numbers to match the mopho's midi implementation (Program Parameters in the manual). I apologise in advance because the patches are probably not very neat, but if you download tetra's manual and compare to Mopho's, you should see exactly what you need to change.

trevox
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: Controlling/Automating DSI Tetra

Post by trevox » Thu May 10, 2012 11:12 am

Looks like soundtower have finally released a vst/au for the Tetra. I am pretty pissed off that I paid $40 for the standalone editor and they are charging another $50 for the plugin though. There should be one fee for both and the people who bought the awful standalone editor should have been given the plugin version for the pain they have had to suffer trying to use it.

I read in a thread about the mopho version that it is really buggy and not that great. Will check out the demo first and even though I do not want to give this company another penny, I may act a guinea pig for the full version if it looks like it's not complete crap. No point in cutting my nose off to spite my face as I really want this functionality.

Will post findings later.

EDIT: URL - http://soundtower.com/plugse/tetra/index.html

3dot...
Posts: 9996
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Re: Controlling/Automating DSI Tetra

Post by 3dot... » Thu May 10, 2012 1:25 pm

...don't make the same mistake twice..
I will not buy another thing from them...
Image

towers of silence
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:32 pm
Location: Portsmouth, NH

Re: Controlling/Automating DSI Tetra

Post by towers of silence » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:16 am

trevox wrote: These patches are set up to work when you have your Tetra in either program mode or combo multi mode (send separate instances out different channels). If you want to control/automate in other modes, it is possible by offsetting the cc parameters. If you have 2 separate voices (A&B in program mode), the parameters to control "B" should be offset by 200. So for instance, fine tuning for OSC 1 is cc 1 for patch A, it should be 201 for patch B. Similarly, if you are using a combo and not in multimode, the parameters should be offset by the following: voice 1 - 512, voice 2 - 768, voice 3 - 1024 and voice 4 - 1280. The patches are not that complex, so you should be able to figure it out.

These are really helpful patches, thanks for posting them. I'm a total Max n00b, so I apologize if this is a dumb question, but if I want to control layer "B" where exactly do I offset the CC messages? Do I have to edit the java object?

h3rtz
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:35 am
Location: Beijing

Re: Controlling/Automating DSI Tetra

Post by h3rtz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:43 am

mopho vst:

http://mkdr.net/m/index.php?option=com_ ... &Itemid=28

i tried many and this one is the best.

works reliable, nicely designed, cheap (10 Euros).

trevox
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: Controlling/Automating DSI Tetra

Post by trevox » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:46 pm

towers of silence wrote:
trevox wrote: These patches are set up to work when you have your Tetra in either program mode or combo multi mode (send separate instances out different channels). If you want to control/automate in other modes, it is possible by offsetting the cc parameters. If you have 2 separate voices (A&B in program mode), the parameters to control "B" should be offset by 200. So for instance, fine tuning for OSC 1 is cc 1 for patch A, it should be 201 for patch B. Similarly, if you are using a combo and not in multimode, the parameters should be offset by the following: voice 1 - 512, voice 2 - 768, voice 3 - 1024 and voice 4 - 1280. The patches are not that complex, so you should be able to figure it out.

These are really helpful patches, thanks for posting them. I'm a total Max n00b, so I apologize if this is a dumb question, but if I want to control layer "B" where exactly do I offset the CC messages? Do I have to edit the java object?
No, you don't have to mess with anything java. I hard coded the midi cc numbers (or should I say nrpn's), so if you open any of the patches, you will see several message boxes with messages like "20 $1" in them. By changing the "20" to the corresponding transposed value for layer B, that should be it.

I persisted a bit with the soundtower vst and while it is slightly better than it was, it's still fairly buggy. But after some playing around, you can configure the vst to control any parameter on any of the 4 voices in multimode, which is really what I am after. Main issue is that it craps out a lot if you close the plugin and changing between program and combi - as well as turning multi-mode on/off - is a nightmare while programming it. Once programmed and you have the parameters you want to control, all is good. I do revert back to these patches every once in a while too though!

towers of silence
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:32 pm
Location: Portsmouth, NH

Re: Controlling/Automating DSI Tetra

Post by towers of silence » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:59 am

I just wanted to post a link to the 2 Tetra controllers I created, in large part based on trevox's devices from the first post as well as a couple other Tetra controllers floating around out there. Thanks to everyone from whom I appropriated examples!
I expanded and combined them, adding in most of the additional parameters that can be tweaked and allowing you to shift between both voice layers (where applicable). I also built a crude sequencer controller that's still a work in progress but it's complete enough to post. These represent my first Max patch and the patching is really, really, really messy. I mean really messy. I may clean it up at some point but the controller works as is so I may just leave it as it is.

Enjoy-

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... controller

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... controller

Post Reply