bitwig on linux

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pencilrocket

Re: bitwig on linux

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:25 pm

pepezabala wrote:but I would love to see linux getting stronger, just now when apple is doing those moves with the app-store and all this restrictive stuff in order to convert personal computers into locked down media-centers for the content industry.
Fruit computer discontinued Xserve, anti glare Cinema disp and Mac Pro(not yet). It shows how much they care prosumers. They do care i toys now.

William

Post by William » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:43 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:
William wrote:Is this documented somewhere?
Well bitwig made their official video announcement on Jan 12th I think. It's March 12th, I remember the bitwig email saying something that led me to believe the beta would start in a "few weeks."

Then I read this at the henke in london thread.
jellycaster wrote:There was a question about Bitwig, which Gerhard Behles answered very professionally with his CEO hat on, saying that imitation amounted to a validation of Live's interface (as if it needed one!)
OOPS, now I realize it says "validation," the first time I read it I though it said "violation"

Nevermind.
Ah ok cool
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rimby

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:58 pm

jellycaster wrote:good for you...

are you going to be sitting on your hands until bitwig arrives?
:D
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

jer_mcclain

Post by jer_mcclain » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:23 pm

Linux drivers for commercial audio interfaces will be difficult to find also.
MacBook Pro - Live Suite - Mira - APC40 - Apogee Duet - Grado SR325i

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:53 pm

oslonovski wrote:Huh? emu404 should be fully supported.
While bitwig may run on linux, but as with any linux host there's still an issue with 3d party plugs.
You have a bunch of basic ladspa, dssi, vamp and even a handful of native vsts.
But none of the big boys have linux support. Sou you have to use wine wrappers for windows plugs,
which stability and performance vise is less than ideal.
thx, I had read an old thread, seems to be supported now. about 3rd party plugs, i´m fine with whats on board and crave simplicity.
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:51 am

This guy started following me (apparently he was at the Henke talk) and he has an interesting synth for Linux only. I think it was meant for you :lol:
http://dinisnoise.org/
Server Temporarily Down from human error

Happy compiling!
ImageImage

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:52 am

wow i found a video of this: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/02/n ... one-board/

very impressive sounds!

noland

Post by noland » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:05 pm

Grappadura wrote: I´ll get what you mac users get for half the price.
and if you would have bought a Thinkpad T Model, you would have done better than mac. Edge is the lower quality series of Thinkpads
give a man fire and he will be warm for the night
set a man on fire and he will never freeze again

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:17 pm

noland wrote:
Grappadura wrote: I´ll get what you mac users get for half the price.
and if you would have bought a Thinkpad T Model, you would have done better than mac. Edge is the lower quality series of Thinkpads
:? dont tell me this. a thing i like about my product is that it can run up to 9 hrs on battery.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:28 pm

The thinkpad edge e325 is a nice machine but you're definitely NOT getting what "us Mac users," are getting for half the price.
Theres just a solid feel and an indescribable awesomeness to a Mac!! CANNOT be emulated or built at home. But if your claim makes you feel better about not buying a Mac then keep up the delusional work my friend!
Also, Bitwig announced their shit and have since went dark. So, you may be waiting awhile for them to actually release something.
I may check Bit-wig out but I still love Live!!! I'm sticking w/ my set-up!
Linux is cool too, I guess. It makes one seem smart when they tell everyone they run Linux, until they mention that it's Ubuntu!
IDK, i guess I'm more into making music than I am programming!
I'd rather spend my time creating music then I would tinkering w/ my computer set-up.
Mac. They just work. lol

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:36 pm

jellycaster wrote:There was a question about Bitwig, which Gerhard Behles answered very professionally with his CEO hat on, saying that imitation amounted to a validation of Live's interface (as if it needed one!)
True. But I for one am glad that they went with having an interface.
Unsound Designer

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:47 pm

Theo Void wrote:The thinkpad edge e325 is a nice machine but you're definitely NOT getting what "us Mac users," are getting for half the price.
Theres just a solid feel and an indescribable awesomeness to a Mac!! CANNOT be emulated or built at home. But if your claim makes you feel better about not buying a Mac then keep up the delusional work my friend!
Also, Bitwig announced their shit and have since went dark. So, you may be waiting awhile for them to actually release something.
Linux is cool too, I guess. It makes one seem smart when they tell everyone they run Linux, until they mention that it's Ubuntu!
I'd rather spend my time creating music then I would tinkering w/ my computer set-up.
Mac. They just work. lol
Yeah exactly that "feel", its like when I was a child I used to think I need clothes with a nice brand, back then it was adidas, benetton, whatever. Its one of the things I learned when I grew up, I´m only buying brand stuff if there is evidence that the brand is better than something else. I see no evidence within my purpose, which is simply having a reliable computer without threat of viruses and a stable system to make music. Since I don´t need fancy plugins, cause I´ve learned I can do it all within live (or bitwig since its very similar), I´ll be happy with those "limitations".

jellycaster

Post by jellycaster » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:03 pm

stringtapper wrote:
just in case you are not being sarcastic, i was referring to the validation rather than the interface of being unnecessary. if you are being sarcastic... well done!

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:30 pm

Theo Void wrote:The thinkpad edge e325 is a nice machine but you're definitely NOT getting what "us Mac users," are getting for half the price.
Mac. They just work. lol
Yeah... the three seconds between when I boot and start up live and when my buddy does the same makes his double investment into the same product SOOOOO much better. It's all about the experience man! :roll: :lol:
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:08 pm

jellycaster wrote:
stringtapper wrote:
just in case you are not being sarcastic, i was referring to the validation rather than the interface of being unnecessary. if you are being sarcastic... well done!
Great album title.
Unsound Designer