bitwig on linux

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Grappadura

Re: bitwig on linux

Post by Grappadura » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:44 pm

oslonovski wrote:
Grappadura wrote: why?
I'm a right tool for the job kind of guy. When I get home, I just want to have a pint
and let the "OS" do its job, without it getting in my way.
OSX just works better for me in this respect.
And I still have all my cli tools I use every day.
Live(obviously) and other stuff I use is not available for linux.
I like my software to have sane defaults and not have to twiggle through gazillion options, just to make it usable.
I like my gui designed, well, by actual U/X designers, not some fucktard, whose idea of usability is
black text on dark brown background. I don't want to spend time unifying my desktop across gui toolkits.
And I'm not fond of the general direction mainstream gui has been heading for the past few years.

Normally, I avoid *buntu, when I can, but I've decided to take ubuntu studio 12.04 beta1 for a spin last weekend.
Touchpad on my laptop doesn't work. How can anyone fuck this up is beyond me.
thx
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:45 pm

fedexnman wrote:@Grappadura Why not dual-boot windows7 and Ubuntu ?? Its dead simple lets say you have a 150 gb hd with W7 install , In windows 7 you shrink the w7 partition down not more than 51% . Heres an example 100gb for windows7 and 50gb left for ubuntu to install . OR(w7 76g and ubuntu 74gb whatever !)There is walk thru on the web on how to do this ( google it !! ) . You can also download vst plugins , samples , photos etc etc . while running ubuntu , and drag the files over to your windows c./ drive , so you can keep your windows7 install , almost or kinda off the net .
that could be an option, thx

pskept

Post by pskept » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:16 pm

oslonovski wrote:
pskept wrote: LOL! this may be true for you but it is certainly not true for everyone. many people know how to use linux quite well and without any of the problems (?) that you mention.
I started using linux in 98 or so and have been(for the most part still am) linux/unix admin for quite some time now.
But I prefer OSX as my personal os, as do many of my colleagues and firends in the same field.
cool man. i really don't know what this has to do with anything i said though.

pskept

Post by pskept » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:18 pm

TheDriller wrote:Linux is great on the server, and for some development tasks. but in general OSX trumps it in every way imaginable. I actually find it kind of funny how OSX is a better UNIX than Linux will ever be.

HAHAHA! awesome man. you've brightened my day. the smart guys like to use the best tool for the job.

oslonovski

Post by oslonovski » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:26 pm

pskept wrote: cool man. i really don't know what this has to do with anything i said though.
Dunno, I was drunk and felt like sharing...

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:53 pm

Well notebook is here now, so far I havent encountered any difficulties, ubuntu was installed via a datastick and its running well. I was trying to install some flash alternative, mainly to view youtube videos. I could install flash too, but I´ve decided I don´t want any commercial products on this, other than bitwig eventually. Now I´ve got "Minitube", a cool youtube viewer that is actually more fun than youtube itself. that should satisfy my appetite for distraction. for games n´ stuff I will use my win pc, for business and important stuff it will be this safe machine. btw. ubuntu has a cool way of backing up important files sending them straight into the cloud, I guess macs got that too. its like an OS-included dropbox. I´m not missing any fancy functions so far, its all there, openoffice, gimp (fotoshop alternative) etc. and I love the way you install new programs, you choose them from a software center that shows you about 20.000 free programs that you can install freely. btw. theres also a noncommercial daw called "Ardour".

fedexnman

Post by fedexnman » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:23 pm

Ardour is kinda like an early protools , Hydrogen is a cool drum sampler/step/pattern sequencer too . You can hook it up to Ardour using Jack (qjackctrl ) to record the output , kinda like REWIRE .

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:24 am

hydrogen looks nice,thx! btw. I had no problems at all connecting my emu 0404, the card was recognized instantly.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:18 am

Could be fun trying to get something like Bitwig running on one of these

www.google.co.uk/search?q=raspberry+pi
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

oslonovski

Post by oslonovski » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:00 pm

crumhorn wrote:Could be fun trying to get something like Bitwig running on one of these

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=raspberry+pi
Nah, by the time bitwing loads inside qemu on that thing, we'll all be using Live 10.