How do you make this sort of sound

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JohnDoppler

How do you make this sort of sound

Post by JohnDoppler » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:08 am

Hi i'm wondering how you make the Madeon talking kinda sound, It's hard to explain so have a listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmc8AhGskLs - 00:35 - 00:37
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuC2MUmQaG4 - 01:34 - 01:36

I know its a really short effect and quite subtle but i think it's a really cool sound and wanted to see if anyone know how to recreate it. it's kinda human like if you know what i mean. :o

condra

Re: How do you make this sort of sound

Post by condra » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:42 am

Sounds like like a snippit of Talkbox or Vocoder with a bit of phasing.

....I think

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:30 am

1st track there seem to be a vocoder snipet, second one i just heard a choir sample, either way i could not stand the songs more than 5 seconds

JohnDoppler

Post by JohnDoppler » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:55 am

Muzik 4 Machines wrote:i could not stand the songs more than 5 seconds
Cool opinion bro

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:04 am

you are welcome, i LOVE helping people and get a sarcastic answers instead of a thank you, that motivates me to help you again

JohnDoppler

Post by JohnDoppler » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:17 am

Muzik 4 Machines wrote:you are welcome, i LOVE helping people and get a sarcastic answers instead of a thank you, that motivates me to help you again
Dont get me wrong i was extremely grateful you helped me with finding how to make the sound i'm trying to make, But for no reason adding the fact that you couldn't even bare to listen to the songs for more than five seconds was unnecessary.

JohnDoppler

Post by JohnDoppler » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:20 am

condra wrote:Sounds like like a snippit of Talkbox or Vocoder with a bit of phasing.

....I think

JohnDoppler

Post by JohnDoppler » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:21 am

Muzik 4 Machines wrote:1st track there seem to be a vocoder snipet, second one i just heard a choir sample
Thank you :o

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:30 am

That first track is 8O

Forget that subtle effect sound. I wouldn't know how to do most of that track. :x

JohnDoppler

Post by JohnDoppler » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:36 am

beats me wrote:That first track is 8O

Forget that subtle effect sound. I wouldn't know how to do most of that track. :x
Haha he was only 16 when he made this, Genius.

condra

Post by condra » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:20 am

I’m twice his age and half as talented. I’m gonna go and kill myself now.

kthxbye

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:11 am

Very short! Hard to tell exactly, but you're right, it has a synthetic human quality. +1 on vocoder/talkbox.

(-1 on the 'opinion' by the way. Tune bangs)

It could be synth with a formant filter. Thor on Reason has one I believe. I don't know if you've ever used one, but they simulate human vowel sounds. The free comedy VST Delay Lama is basically one of these.

Also, classic screaming oscillator sync sounds can have that quality. And heavy flanging can get close too.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

JohnDoppler

Post by JohnDoppler » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:06 pm

beatmunga wrote:Very short! Hard to tell exactly, but you're right, it has a synthetic human quality. +1 on vocoder/talkbox.

It could be synth with a formant filter. Thor on Reason has one I believe. I don't know if you've ever used one, but they simulate human vowel sounds. The free comedy VST Delay Lama is basically one of these.

Also, classic screaming oscillator sync sounds can have that quality. And heavy flanging can get close too.
Thanks, I'm not to familiar with formant filters etc. so it's time for some googling i think, but i know there is one in the ableton EQ Eight. I'm playing around with it now, Cool stuff.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:52 am

beatmunga wrote:Very short! Hard to tell exactly, but you're right, it has a synthetic human quality. +1 on vocoder/talkbox.

Formant filter will be reproduced with filters if user can interpret the formant Hz table here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formant No need to buy expensive software or hardware.

This Yamahas's device can produce consonant sound as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfVgo-FBihU#t=193s (at 03:13)

I don't know whethere there are vsts that can generate synth sound with consonant automatically. I want to know the name of it if it exist.

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:26 am

Delay Lama can, with a X/Y matrix I believe. How controllable this is via MIDI and automation, I can't recall. But it's free!

Looks like Fruity Loops is the one for formants, though - FL is very popular for this kind of House.

Definitely another weak link for Live... you shouldn't need to be Wiki'ing such technical stuff to work out how to make Ableton do what other, considerably cheaper DAWs do out of the box with a nice, user friendly plug in...

Roll on v.9.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.