reason essentials sale

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eddiex

reason essentials sale

Post by eddiex » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:15 am

hey there, i feel kind of dirty posting this on the ableton forum :oops:
but.....propellerhead is selling REASON ESSENTIALS (stripped down REASON) on its website for $130.00
i guess, it is just on the propellerhead website there, like guitar center and amazon and all those places are still selling it for almost $300
i thought this was a super duper price, and just thought i'd share, for those that want to get into reason, without spending 3 bonez.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

dokx

Re: reason essentials sale

Post by dokx » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:47 am

No Thor, no Malström, no Kong - kind of useless obviously.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:09 pm

I don't agree that it's useless. While it doesn't have some Reason's biggest work horses, It does include Operator, and NNXT, and the Scream4 effect which can sound nice sometimes... Especially if you don't have Suite, this would be an affordable instrument upgrade. $130 bucks to expand the instruments you have in Live? I've paid a heck of a lot more than that before!

With that said, get Suite. It's sweet.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:52 pm

ttilberg wrote:While it doesn't have some Reason's biggest work horses, It does include Operator
wow. that IS a good deal.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:10 pm

gateway drug..

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:30 am

i think it's worth 130 bucks just to check reason out....i think you can get the upgrade and still pay less than buying the full version of reason.....so eh' i say whatever....i think it is a good deal. >shrug< my copy is in the mail....on the way.

BlackMath

Post by BlackMath » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:38 am

99$ @ sweetwater

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:46 am

just saw that....doh.

dokx

Post by dokx » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:27 am

eddiex wrote:i think it's worth 130 bucks just to check reason out....i think you can get the upgrade and still pay less than buying the full version of reason.....so eh' i say whatever....i think it is a good deal. >shrug< my copy is in the mail....on the way.
Hmm, isn't there a demo to check Reason out?

I really would feel very limited only to have the Subtractor as a synth, with no possibilites ever to use any kind of VSTi...

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:31 pm

dokx wrote:
eddiex wrote:i think it's worth 130 bucks just to check reason out....i think you can get the upgrade and still pay less than buying the full version of reason.....so eh' i say whatever....i think it is a good deal. >shrug< my copy is in the mail....on the way.
Hmm, isn't there a demo to check Reason out?

I really would feel very limited only to have the Subtractor as a synth, with no possibilites ever to use any kind of VSTi...
I like and use Reason but have not used Subtractor since years (since Thor) it is terribly outdated and , let me use 4 letter word it is bloody "thin". Plenty of free or almost free VSTs that are 1000x better. Same with the effects decade old, meant to run on 400 mhz computers with 16MB RAM. Propellerheads must scrap those old junky FX and synths and get something up to date if they want to stay in the game.
In my opinion Essentials is waste of money because what is really good in todays Reason- Thor, Neptune, Kong are not included. Better check demo, opposite system to Live, can save, cant open saved projects, still better way to hear what Reason 6 is all about then wasting a single $.

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:56 pm

I think the aim for essentials is more towards people who primarily record and want to add a few samples here and there without all the technological hubub.

And FWIW, I like the old stuff. They're like old reliable friends. And when you hook them up to the new effects, they sound like completely new instruments. And since I already know the old instruments, all I have to learn is the new effects. Rebuilding, replacing or omitting Subtractor or Malstrom would just be off-putting for me.

Different strokes I guess.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:58 pm

Meh. I own Reason 6 and use it exclusively as an external instrument in Live. Perhaps your perception on Subtractor is that it is thin, and perhaps by itself it is, but I like pairing it with the Scream4 for certain sounds (I'm likely biased, because Subtractor is what taught me how to control a synth in the first place). I also very much prefer NNXT piano and rhodes samples to the ones Live comes with.

With that said, I recently learned that you can buy all of the instruments included with Logic for $30 by purchasing Mainstage, and then route Mainstage as an external instrument too. That was a far better deal, and the keys samples sound better than both NNXT and Live's :)

I agree, if you are looking to use Reason by itself, there is a lot you'll be missing out on... And the REAL bummer of it, contrary to what Eddiex mentioned above, it appears that taking the upgrade path is actually MORE expensive than buying it outright. That's too bad.

Reason 6 Essentials: $129
Reason 6 Upgrade from Essentials: $329
vs
Reason 6: $449

Don't be tricked by that "Reason 6" upgrade price, it is only for previous full versions of Reason, not the lite versions. (With that said, in November I upgraded my ancient copy of Reason 3 to Reason 6 for $129, which was flippin awesome.)
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:00 pm

Also
rikhyray wrote: Same with the effects decade old, meant to run on 400 mhz computers with 16MB RAM. Propellerheads must scrap those old junky FX and synths and get something up to date if they want to stay in the game.
Sure, but... People made good music back then too.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:48 am

jeeze....yeah i was just always phsyched for reason...a friend had it, but i decided to buy ableton when i got enough money to get some software..(which i don't regret one bit) but...still psyched to try reason out.....i don't know...i still don't think it is a bad price, 130 bones for a new tool in the kit....if i don't dig the intro to reason, i won't upgrade. not that big of a loss.
I HATE DEMO VERSIONS OF ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!! its such a pain in the ass to remove it entirely from your computer, plus the limitations are annoying as hell. id rather buy a functional stripped down version of anything than use a demo.

dokx

Post by dokx » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:06 pm

Well the R6 demo actually is fully functional, you can even save your work (but of course not open it until you purchase).

For demos I often use Sandboxie or a virtual machine (PC).