Has anyone here ever taught an ableton class?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ekord123

Has anyone here ever taught an ableton class?

Post by ekord123 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:57 am

Hi guys,
I'm teaching a workshop at my university on ableton live. I'm pretty sure that I know how to introduce and progress through the topics, but having some visuals on paper would really be helpful, especially to pass out to people in the class

does anybody know of a site that has abletons features late out in powerpoint format, or diagrams? I'm a fulltime student so its hard to make time to make these tools myself. I've been searching but so far I have found nothing.

beatmunga

Re: Has anyone here ever taught an ableton class?

Post by beatmunga » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:54 am

I don't want to sound harsh, but good teachers tend to put the prep in and make their own presentations.

It makes for a much better learning experience generally.

You'll feel much more confident singing from your own hymn sheet than from a stranger's, trust me. And you'll stand less chance of being caught off guard by your more astute learners!
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:24 am

the best way to learn is to teach.... you verify your knowledge while you create your own presentations or other documents.
its better imo to spend the time to create it yourself than to learn a presentation from a... yeah... stranger

ekord123

Post by ekord123 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:21 pm

I definitely get what you guys are saying, but the only thing I am really asking is for visuals that I cannot create myself (I know very little about photoshop), and I'm sure that there have been some good visual guides passed out. I'm laying out the progression of the class by myself, some visual resources would be really helpful though, and would save me the time of learning how to use photo editing programs

login

Post by login » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:35 pm

You dont need to use photoshop for this, just use the screen print key on your keyboard paste it on paintbursh and add arrows or circles to highlight devices or what ever you need to highlight, save it as a jpg and paste it in power point. It's quite easy.

But now since you are using your computer at class, just launch ableton and use a zoom utility while navigating it in class.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:50 pm

if you're on a Windows PC, holding the "alt" key while pressing the "print screen" button will allow you to take an image of an open window, just the window. you can paste that in Word or something similar and print copies of Live preferences etc that way.

if you click "print screen" without holding alt you will get the whole screen (and every thing on it). you can paste that in Word (etc) and crop the image (cut out Operator, EQ, etc).

if you don't have Word, you can use MS Paint. Start > Run > type: mspaint.exe > hit Enter.

when you're done, print the copies you need. shouldn't take more than an hour or so and could be quicker and more specific in the long run than combing the web for someone else's snippets.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:57 pm