clip envelopes (repost)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
esteban2010

clip envelopes (repost)

Post by esteban2010 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:45 am

Hi!!

I'm having problems trying to combine the control of a parameter through a physical controller via CC (LPD8 akai, apc, launchpad) and alternatively, via the envelope contained in a dummy clip.

a knob of a controller akai is assigned to a parameter (a track send)

In a live situation, I have a scene with a dummy clip (not looped) that puts this parameter to 0.
Then, the controller will never again take control of the parameter modified by the envelope of the dummy clip.

I thank you in advance for the help you can give me to solve this problem.

Greetings!

oddstep

Re: clip envelopes (repost)

Post by oddstep » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:10 am

it is not clear what you are doing. it reads as if
1) a midi controller is being used. one knob on this is mapped to the send parameter on a track
2) a dummy clip containing midi data is also sending control data to this send parameter

3)you want the clip to play once and set the send parameter to zero
4) once that has happened you want the midi controller (the akai) to no longer be controlling the send parameter of the track

that will not happen. the midi channel -cc combination has been mapped to the track send parameter. you'll need to change the cc or midi channel of the controller OR unmap it from the track send parameter.

esteban2010

Post by esteban2010 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:23 pm

Thanks for take the time to answer.....
excuse me for my bad english...

Basically I want to set the parameter to zero, after the modulation via midi controller.( akai cc )

Im tryng with dummy clips, placed in the same track containing only envelopes. not with midi information.

But, you suggest that is possible to re-set a parameter via midi?
Is possible modulate the same parameter, with the akai and, with midi information contained in a dummy clip? how to implement this?

Im tryng to do inside ableton something like Kapture do. But Kapture have a lot of delay, resetting only 2 parameters, filtering the rest.

Because I only want to reset, but after this reset I want to continue controlling the parameter with the akai.

Thanks for your time and help.

saludos

esteban

luddy

Post by luddy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:27 pm

I don't really know if this is relevant because I'm not sure I understand exactly what's going on; but one thing to keep in mind is that Live is conscious of the "last" CC value that it transmitted for a controller, and it won't re-transmit the same value if it thinks that it hasn't changed. It's a kind of "thinning" of the MIDI data. Since Live doesn't see what your controller is sending (I think) then it might not know the value in the clip env needs to be (re-)sent.
-Luddy