Remote SL 61 MKII + Ableton Live ... Please, Help

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
MAGNETO_66

Remote SL 61 MKII + Ableton Live ... Please, Help

Post by MAGNETO_66 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:55 pm

Hi Everybody ... :) I recently purchased a Novation Remote SL MKII; i use it as a master keyboard (of course :-)) and USB controller, playing Ableton live Instruments and controlling many devices paramenters in Live performances ... My Ableton Live version is 8.2.8, my computer is a macbook Pro, latest generation with quadcore processor and 8 GB RAM ... Mac OS X 10.7.3 (latest Lion's version) ... The remote works perfectly with Live BUT i failed to get a "feedback" from Live to the controller ... I'll try to explain better: i edited my personal template assigning different MIDI CCs (or notes) to every knob, slider and button of my Remote SL an the i mapped each control to some device's parameter of my Live session ... When i move a knob, a slider or push a button, LEDS respond perfectly and the assingned parameter changes properly on Live session. But I also would like to see Remote's LEDS changing when i change some values or turn on/off a devices "manually" (with the mouse, for example) ... and it doesn't happen !!! Since i also use many "ClyphX" Clips in order to set values, turn on/off devices and/or tracks at the beginning of every scene, i expect to see my Novation's leds "following" the changes made by ClyphX : for example, if a Remote's button is assigned to some device on/off status and if i change this status by a ClyphX clip, or using the mouse, the LED on Remote should also turn on/off following that change ... But nothing to do ... "Live follows The Remote SL, but Remote doesn't follow Live" :( Maybe i didn't set Live's Preferences properly ? Any idea ? B.T.W. i DON'T use "Automap" by Novation, i never felt comfortable with it and i prefer editing and saving Remote templates, assingning CCs and mapping in "the old way", without Automap...could this be the real matter ???
Any suggestion would be appreciated
THANK YOU
M.
I AM MAGNETO ... MASTER of MAGNETISM :-)!

stallos

Re: Remote SL 61 MKII + Ableton Live ... Please, Help

Post by stallos » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:59 am

what settings have you entered in the preferences for the device?
Have you set it to receive data ie both input and output settings?
have you enabled remote on the output settings?

richardFM

Post by richardFM » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:48 am

i got the same on a sl 49 mk ii and now on a remote sl zero. the encoders only get feedback in the ableton template when they map to the first 8 parameters of certain devices. so u re doing nothing wrong. novation are pleading you do get feedback for the encoders in the automap mode but i wouldnt know because all my encoders are frozen in automap mode for a reason novation couldn't explain. a lot of other users complained about the encoder feedback so it's not just u. hopefully it gets addressed in the future with a keyboard software update if possible

MAGNETO_66

Post by MAGNETO_66 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:14 pm

richardFM wrote:i got the same on a sl 49 mk ii and now on a remote sl zero. the encoders only get feedback in the ableton template when they map to the first 8 parameters of certain devices. so u re doing nothing wrong. novation are pleading you do get feedback for the encoders in the automap mode but i wouldnt know because all my encoders are frozen in automap mode for a reason novation couldn't explain. a lot of other users complained about the encoder feedback so it's not just u. hopefully it gets addressed in the future with a keyboard software update if possible
Thank You very much for the answer :) ... Unfortunately, that's what i suspected ... :( And i have to say that i feel quite disappointed ...! The remote sl should be "top class master keyboard-usb controllers" ... and they are, indeed, the keyboard is very good and they have many powerful features BUT ... getting "feedback" from the DAW (in our case, Ableton Live) should be something very "basic" for such an advanced instrument ... I mean, You can get it very well from a Behringer BCR2000 that actually is MUCH cheaper than a remote sl ... I know because i owned a behringer and it responds very well to Ableton ... whatever You do with your mouse or by some kind of "automation" (CLyphX, IAC driver, etc etc ), BCR's Leds (rotary knobs or buttons) immediately react ... It seems impossible that You can't get the same results with a much more expensive controller ...! I hope that Novation will fix it very soon ... Once more,Thank You
Bye
I AM MAGNETO ... MASTER of MAGNETISM :-)!