Props open up Reason to UHE and other developers!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Re: Props open up Reason to UHE and other developers!

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:04 pm

nathannn wrote:i was almost positive they were going to introduce reason for the ipad, i was thinking something like reason v3 on ipad.
Same here, they could easily run Reason 6 on an iPad, I ran Reason 2.5 on a 800mhz laptop no issues.
Seriously, this is what they should have done. I would easily have bought an Ipad and Reason for the regular price not some cut down iOS price if they had done this and figured out a way to rewire an iPad into Live on a laptop or just simply made it easy to port to Reason on your computer. They really really missed the boat with this. Reason screams full version on iPad more than any other DAW.

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:07 pm

Except it's hard to control the wee little knobs and sliders. IMO, rethinking the interface was absolutely essential as it's running on a completely different machine. Onwards and upwards.

headquest

Post by headquest » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:08 pm

But whatever the cost Propellerhead take a 30% cut o_O
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:09 pm

Yeah I was hoping for the same thing and I was prepared to go out and buy an iPad too. I don't think the current processors would be able to handle Reason 6 though. Maybe an earlier version of Reason, 3 or 4 perhaps. Or Reason Essentials. Still they're just dipping their toes in iOS so hopefully there will be a more functional app in the future.
Last edited by puzzlefactory on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:15 pm

puzzlefactory wrote:Apparently it's completely up to the developers. I would imagine they would be cheaper than VST/AU/RTAS versions.
I hope so. In the video they try to entice developers with claims that it takes far fewer resources to code for rack extensions because they're not doing mac/pc/different os versions/maintaining code base.

Plus it would be advantageous for the props to keep prices down to entice more people to get into reason versus host + vsts.

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:17 pm

I think it would be cool to have rudimentary arranging tools and a stripped down sequencer for mobile work that communicates with your main machine via the cloud or some shit. Someone tell the props to get on it.

fedexnman

Post by fedexnman » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:09 pm

Oo.jason.oO wrote:
Synthbuilder wrote:I was so hoping that they would do this the other way around. Allow the whole Reason rack as a VST which then could be used by Live like any other VST.

But no, they've isolated themselves some more. Personally, Reason 6 was a step in the wrong direction, now they're running away from me. :cry:

Tony
This. Like, Absolutely 100% *THIS*!

Yep 100% This !!!!!! It'd been nice to have Kong , Sampler and all the line6 guitar stuff to open up in Reaper or whatever VST host , oh well . Wont be buying Reason Still !!!!!!!

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:30 pm

fedexnman wrote:Yep 100% This !!!!!! It'd been nice to have Kong , Sampler and all the line6 guitar stuff to open up in Reaper or whatever VST host , oh well . Wont be buying Reason Still !!!!!!!
There's still Rewire!!!!
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Synthbuilder

Post by Synthbuilder » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:01 am

kb420 wrote:There's still Rewire!!!!
Rewire isn't too bad. But automation is not as easy as VST since it has to be done within the CC editor of the Live clip. You can't pass audio to the rewire slave, nor can you pass midi from the slave back to Live. There's also a complex relationship between the audio produced by Reason and Reason's internally generated clock. This delay noticeable if you mix Reason's sequencer (or sequenced) devices with Reason devices controlled by Live's midi.

Finally, Live doesn't 'detect' when a rewire channel is actually passing audio into Live so the effects sends are always active and taking CPU. Freezing and rendering can take a while because of this too - Want to freeze a tiny clip which is at the end of an 25 minute set? Get ready for a long wait.

Finally, Reason once took so little resources it was a hardly a drain on your computer. The new Reason 6 with all of its DAW facilities is a lot heavier both in RAM and CPU. You have to think twice about adding it now to even a moderately sized Live set.

I still have a soft spot for Reason. And I still use in almost every track I write. But really, for me at least, this is looking less likely with things moving in the direction they are going.

Tony

afone1977

Post by afone1977 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:01 am

beatmunga wrote:
dokx wrote: Anyway, whatever they do, Reason times are over soon.
Despite being a fan of both Live and Reason 6, I'd put my money on Props expanding more than Ableton, sadly.

They have:

1) Made their pricing very competitive.
2) Shown that they can make big, brave policy decisions
3) Listened to their users on the forums (to an extent) and implemented suggestions

When can Ableton say that they last did all that? They seem to be sitting on their hands at the moment unfortunately.
so true,

I still don't update my live V7 because of all what you say, and also because live is buggy as hell

most of the haters here and there just should take the time to wacht the video and appreciate what it is exactly,

the PH vision sound good to me
Dell 9200, E6700 (2 x 2.66 gHz), 4 Go RAM, i965 chipset, ATI PCie x1300 256 mo, MOTU 828 mkII
firewire, 2 UAD-1 PCI, 1 UAD-2 QUAD , 1 liquid mix, live 7, reason 4

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:49 pm

Awwwwwwwww yeah! Here we go. :mrgreen:

http://www.propellerheads.se/

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:18 pm

beatmunga wrote:
Despite being a fan of both Live and Reason 6, I'd put my money on Props expanding more than Ableton, sadly.

They have:

3) Listened to their users on the forums (to an extent) and implemented suggestions

When can Ableton say that they last did all that? They seem to be sitting on their hands at the moment unfortunately.
Only because Reason is far behind compared to most DAWs.

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:29 pm

kitekrazy wrote:
beatmunga wrote:

They have:

At least it has automation that happens when it should.

Aaaaand it's 64 bit...
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

fisto

Post by fisto » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:43 pm

well....I'm not an Reason User but I was excited about this :-)

and maybe the VST-Vendors will start including the REs when you buy normal VSTs from the same vendor like:
you are buying a Softube-Plugin and get the RackExtension for free or you can buy only the RE for less money...
something like this

but I think there are quite some possibilities...and don't forget that only a small number of GOOD tools is needed for good sounding music. I hate the fact that there are countless plugins available and all claim to be THE PLUGIN you need. So why not get reaon, become semimodular and build YOUR sound with less loss of time on deciding which saturation plugin you should choose on this particular mid-line :mrgreen:

Nicknackerski

Post by Nicknackerski » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:53 pm

kitekrazy wrote:
chuckle chuckle.