Props open up Reason to UHE and other developers!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sporkles

Props open up Reason to UHE and other developers!

Post by sporkles » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:28 pm

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/03/p ... -coverage/

Exciting; I wonder what they'll come up with. This is the closest we'll get to VST's in Reason.

puzzlefactory

Re: Props open up Reason to UHE and other developers!

Post by puzzlefactory » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:24 pm

I can't believe no-one has jumped on this! 8O

headquest

Post by headquest » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:32 am

Perhaps Ableton users just aren't that interested about developments on the island that is Propellerhead Reason any more?
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:37 am

puzzlefactory wrote:I can't believe no-one has jumped on this! 8O
it's really not that exciting unless you got reason. I think it's a great step for folks who only use reason but no really mind blowing if you have moved on from reason. I'm waiting to see what the level of depth the sdk allows developers.

The nice thing is that they say that Rack extensions are "sandboxed" so that if the plug crashes that reason does not. I'm guessing this is similar to what bitwig guys were talking about implementing. This feature is SO important for live performance.
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:54 am

so the closed-off product opens their door a tiny crack to admit in a few outsiders who hold special passes.....and were supposed to celebrate and call it novel?

total junk, and I'm a former Reason user/lover. But ever since Record came into existence, I have been continually disappointed and mystified by their crazed ideas about what 'works' for digital audio recording. To each their own, etc etc, but for me, since version 6, the giant 3-part GUI is an absolute nightmare (try using it on a laptop, ha), the new drum module and (more recently) FX are barely (if at all) competitive with the majority of 3rd party VST content available, the company itself can't seem to decide what kind of product they want to sell (seeya, Record, a whole 1 year old) and... blah blah.

U-He released a 'teaser pic' of their first Rack Expansion -- it was Uhbik A. *Identical* Uhbik A. Just sitting in a reason rack. Guess what it's called? Uhbik A Rack Expansion. (http://yfrog.com/z/ocszcup)

So instead of allowing Reason to to use VST's, they have developed their own proprietary plugin type and are having 3rd parties create clones of their existing VST products to be sold 'exclusively' as Reason Rack Expansions.

Oh yay. Another redundant plugin standard now exists for developers and shoppers, a shiny new logo to appear next to RTAS. THAT's what we all wanted and needed.

I'm reminded of a couple years ago, when Avid announced ProTools Version Whatever and tried to market the dropping of their proprietary hardware as an amazing new "added feature" of the new version. But contempt for your customer's intelligence will always work if your customers are total *****.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

dokx

Post by dokx » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:09 am

Like with their stupid refill format - you may buy it, but you cannot use it outside Reason.

Anyway, whatever they do, Reason times are over soon.

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:31 am

dokx wrote: Anyway, whatever they do, Reason times are over soon.
Despite being a fan of both Live and Reason 6, I'd put my money on Props expanding more than Ableton, sadly.

They have:

1) Made their pricing very competitive.
2) Shown that they can make big, brave policy decisions
3) Listened to their users on the forums (to an extent) and implemented suggestions

When can Ableton say that they last did all that? They seem to be sitting on their hands at the moment unfortunately.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:08 pm

Not that exciting. And maybe a step to unstable lands for Propellerheads? At least the DPS spikes are something that are not seen before: http://youtu.be/pGSqPz9qLTo. Granted it's an early version but still.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

Synthbuilder

Post by Synthbuilder » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:25 pm

I was so hoping that they would do this the other way around. Allow the whole Reason rack as a VST which then could be used by Live like any other VST.

But no, they've isolated themselves some more. Personally, Reason 6 was a step in the wrong direction, now they're running away from me. :cry:

Tony

Oo.jason.oO

Post by Oo.jason.oO » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:02 pm

Synthbuilder wrote:I was so hoping that they would do this the other way around. Allow the whole Reason rack as a VST which then could be used by Live like any other VST.

But no, they've isolated themselves some more. Personally, Reason 6 was a step in the wrong direction, now they're running away from me. :cry:

Tony
This. Like, Absolutely 100% *THIS*!

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:49 pm

I'm for it.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:44 pm

i was almost positive they were going to introduce reason for the ipad, i was thinking something like reason v3 on ipad.
instead of thinking 'what is the most obvious for propellerhead to do' i should start thinking 'what is the most backwards thing they can do?'
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:04 pm

nathannn wrote:i was almost positive they were going to introduce reason for the ipad, i was thinking something like reason v3 on ipad.
instead of thinking 'what is the most obvious for propellerhead to do' i should start thinking 'what is the most backwards thing they can do?'

I wouldn't really call it backwards. They've introduced third party pluggins that will integrate with the "rack" format in Reason. They've also sandboxed them and are steering clear of VSTs (which quite frankly is the buggiest pluggin format and causes more crashes then anything other format). I think it's going to be very exciting and I believe that the majority of pluggin developers will jump on board as its a whole new market for them.

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:54 pm

Is there any indication as to about how much the individual plugs will cost?

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:04 pm

Apparently it's completely up to the developers. I would imagine they would be cheaper than VST/AU/RTAS versions.