Live sampling in LIVE 8- like in (reason)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tintala

Live sampling in LIVE 8- like in (reason)

Post by tintala » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:46 pm

I am pretty new to Live, I have learned Reason 6 for many years.. I am starting to notice the differences in Live and Reason and takes a bit getting used to!

As some of you may know, Reason offers "live" sampling in Kong, NNXT, NN19. All you do is press the sampler button, record the sample , then it's immediately mapped to your pad or keyboard in the sampler. make sense?

well I am dying to know the comparable tool in Live 8 to sample like this? I do not see anywhere that I have searched in youtube and the forum also, how to record a sample in a sampler and use it immediately, like you would in NNXT or Kong. Is this possible, or is it just so simple that I am just blind.

Also in reason, I can layer effects to a sampler by using a line mixer and and dialing in how much I want I the line mixer.. I love this, how to do this in Live?

Thanks in advance ..! :) ......().....

rikhyray

Re: Live sampling in LIVE 8- like in (reason)

Post by rikhyray » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:26 pm

tintala wrote:Is this possible, or is it just so simple that I am just blind.
All this is possible, and more since Live itself is sort of a giant sampler. If you want to get quickly into it, apart from build in lessons & manual, get a book- there are few good ones, or the best go to Groove3- there are some excellent video tutorials. The difference to most other is that the people who done Ableton Live videos for Groove3 are excellent musicians/producers with real live experience with Live.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:30 pm

Sorry, but I disagree. you can record audio into clips, you can't record audio into midi sequenced instruments audio buffers and rearrange those audio samples on the fly. Live can't do that. It'd be good if it could.

tintala

Post by tintala » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:31 pm

Hey thanks guys for you responses, so I take it that LIVE 8 CANNOT record a sample on the fly in a sampler and it be mapped to A) sampler B) controller, like an NNXT , NN19, or KONG? Damnit. I have come to rely on this alot.

jonathan harker

Post by jonathan harker » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:44 pm

what about this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... nMJNnk_hds
or you could record whatever you want on an audiotrack and drag the file into simpler/sampler/impulse (abletons own devices) instead!
there is also looper (a looping plugin in live) you can record a loop and drag it onto an audiotrack and then into some of the above.
this cool, especially if you do a lot with selfmade looping performances. you can´t seperate the looplayers directly, but there are some workarounds to make this possible! search the web. cheers!

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:46 pm

live let you do nearly everything live, unlike no other software but you have to learn, understand the concept. You have to think different then in Reason because Live is exactly opposite- open system, no spoon-feeding, you have options to do things impossible in other software. However there are many ways, options to do things in live.
Live itself is an instrument (with live sampling functionality).

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:46 pm

can you rewire kong into live and use it like that.

tintala

Post by tintala » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:51 pm

rikhyray wrote:live let you do nearly everything live, unlike no other software but you have to learn, understand the concept. You have to think different then in Reason because Live is exactly opposite- open system, no spoon-feeding, you have options to do things impossible in other software. However there are many ways, options to do things in live.
Live itself is an instrument (with live sampling functionality).
thanks a bunch everyone, rikhyray: i will search more for this, I guess reason has just made it 'more convenient", not necessarily spoon fed, I don't see what's wrong with a little convenience but LIve just put that in other places, although I would not beable to point that out atm.lol

I could rewire; however LIVE is 32 bit, my version of REASON is 64 bit, i cannot get the 32 bit installer to work yet, have tried and tried,, but I wish!!! I will go do some more searching on sampling in Live, but I have already extinguished alot of resources. As I learn live I am becoming aware of it's differences to the only other DAW I know... I am not a DJ, so I am hoping that LIve will still be conducive to my production needs while learning. Thanks all!

tintala

Post by tintala » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:56 pm

jonathan harker wrote:what about this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... nMJNnk_hds
or you could record whatever you want on an audiotrack and drag the file into simpler/sampler/impulse (abletons own devices) instead!
there is also looper (a looping plugin in live) you can record a loop and drag it onto an audiotrack and then into some of the above.
this cool, especially if you do a lot with selfmade looping performances. you can´t seperate the looplayers directly, but there are some workarounds to make this possible! search the web. cheers!

jonathan thanks this was what I was looking for......... finally! I thought I saw everthing.

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:05 pm

We're in the midst of a Reason marketing department invasion.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:02 pm

Good grief that's blatant.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:24 am

tintala wrote:. I am not a DJ, so I am hoping that LIve will still be conducive to my production needs while learning. Thanks all!
Live can be used by DJs but it is more Live performance software and of course production software. Myself and most Live users i know use Traktor or Serato for DJ jobs.
Anyway, when I started with Live first thing I did was studying manual and very good book from... forgot the name of the author, he is musician from NYC associated with Ableton. Then till ver.8 was using Live for 90% of my work, means 10-12 hours everyday, finding my own way of working with it. While the ways people work with PT, Cubase, Logic are very similar in the core, it keeps surprising me how different every Live user I met work, totally different. In other DAWs, to much extent Reason too there are rather defined patterns, paths, In case of Live you have to get the basics but then it is your journey.
You are not shifting from Reason to Live, so why waste time trying to find out how could you do the Reason thing in Live (or reverse). Each has lots of stuff the other dont (applies to every software) so take, use what each does best.
As far as i know the biggest complex of Reason users (seems you did not get infected by that) is their Reason talibanism - it is all there, every synth is the best and you can get any sound with Reason only, if not you are dumb ass and not yet "there".
Real artist has his/her idea in the mind and uses whatever available to materialise it, pick ups the instruments ,softwares, effects upgrades instrumental and production skills for the sole purpose of realising the artistic vision as good as his means allow him.

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:44 am

A nice big record button on the sampler would be nice, with option to map the sample to all keys or 1 single key at a time. Put some fun back into sampling on the fly.

Even the sampler on Garageband for iOS has this function. Surprised that Ableton weren't on it before now, given Live's reputation for handling audio with creative immediacy.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

Mixikyr

Post by Mixikyr » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:49 pm

Deleted post.
Last edited by Mixikyr on Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ebcspace

Post by ebcspace » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:08 am

tintala wrote:
rikhyray wrote:
I could rewire; however LIVE is 32 bit, my version of REASON is 64 bit, i cannot get the 32 bit installer to work yet, have tried and tried,, but I wish!!! I will go do some more searching on sampling in Live, but I have already extinguished alot of resources. As I learn live I am becoming aware of it's differences to the only other DAW I know... I am not a DJ, so I am hoping that LIve will still be conducive to my production needs while learning. Thanks all!
to rewire Reason with Live, you would want to open up Reason in 32-bit mode for compatibility..