Cheap multiple output external audio interface

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Davo

Cheap multiple output external audio interface

Post by Davo » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:28 am

I am doing some experiments with sound localization. I want to be able to send sounds to individual channels on a 5 channel amplifier (which has input lines for each channel) so I need an audio interface with at least 5 output channels that I can access from Live. Sound quality and bandwidth are not very important because I will be sending short sounds to one or two channels at a time. Do you have suggestions? My search for cheap solutions has come up with the Emagic EMI 6|2 USB Audio Interface, but it's not that cheap. Thanks.

bicarbone

Re: Cheap multiple output external audio interface

Post by bicarbone » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:35 pm

Emagic 6|2 USB was released 10 years + ago!!!! 8O Maybe Emagic founders are still updating drivers from their retirement home.
Cheap nowadays (2012) solution: M-Audio Fast Track C600. Or buy a used motu ultralite MK1 if you have firewire.

Oh wait, you actually posted this in 2001 and it got lost for ten years bouncng from servers to servers before eventually popping out from nowhere on this board like a lost WWII soldier's letter...
|soundcloud|

MBP 2.2 GHz i7 quad 10.7.5 8GB ram | Live9suite | Reaper | Metric Halo ULN-2 + DSP | PSI A21-M active monitors | Littlepapercones passive speakers | Studer 169 analog mixer

Davo

Post by Davo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:55 pm

That's why I asked the question here. I do not follow hardware developments much so I was hoping that someone could give me some suggestions. Thanks for yours. I will investigate them further.

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:25 am

Sorry, didn't mean to be rude or anything. What is your budget? Windows or Mac?

If you buy used, make sure there are still drivers available for your current OS.
Also, if you can strip your set up down to 4 outputs, that will be a lot cheaper. Sound interfaces are commonly either 2 ins X 2 outs, 4 ins X 4 outs or 8 ins X 8 outs.

One thing you have to be wary of is that manufacturers almost always list their specs counting headphones out as 2 outputs (which is true), but in most cases you won't be able to send a different signal through them than the one sent from the main outs. So take a close look at the pics and specs to see if there are indeed 6 physical TRS out at the back. Be suspicious as well when specs read something like "12 ins x 14 outs", there's a good chance they're inclding the digital ports.

Anyway, if you have questions or want to post your findings, I'd be happy to help.

Sorry for my english, cheers!
|soundcloud|

MBP 2.2 GHz i7 quad 10.7.5 8GB ram | Live9suite | Reaper | Metric Halo ULN-2 + DSP | PSI A21-M active monitors | Littlepapercones passive speakers | Studer 169 analog mixer

bupper

Post by bupper » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:48 am

the emagic 2/6 & 6/2 do not have drivers past windows xp (so vista & win 7 are out) don't know if they still work on macs. If you are on windows xp then the emagic 2/6 (not the 6/2 which is 6 ins & 2 outs) will be perfect.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:55 pm

Another call for your budget.

In the USA:

Focusrite Saffire 6 has 4 outputs for $200.

ESI u46XL has 6 outputs for $200.

On other units, make sure the output count is for analog outputs, many interfaces count SPDIF digital outs as a stereo pair.

Davo

Post by Davo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:09 am

Thanks for all the suggestions and no offense taken bicardone. The ESI u46XL looks good but I can't see any retailer in New Zealand yet. I really only need the outputs though, not phantom power (nice name though), HiZ, preamps etc.

Davo

Post by Davo » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:32 am

Thanks doghouse for putting me on to ESI. The ESI Gigaport HD is the sort of thing I am looking for.
http://www.esi-audio.com/products/gigaporthd/
US$110 on Amazon right now. NZ$157 at GuitarCentre
Is there anything else like this?

Davo

Post by Davo » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:17 am

Here's something even cheaper http://www.meritline.com/usb-5-1-channe ... 35243.aspx. According to reviews it can be used with Live with the asio4all driver. I have found a local supplier selling it for NZ$28 so i will buy it and try. It seems to be based on the CMedia CM6206 chip which has 8 16 bit DACs (96khz) but only 6 are implemented in this product.

David.

Davo

Post by Davo » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:48 pm

I bought the device I mentioned above ( http://www.meritline.com/usb-5-1-channe ... 35243.aspx). Using the driver that came with the device (MME/DirectX) I can only see 2 channels in audio preferences. Using ASIO4ALL I can see 8 channels in audio preferences. But if I select all 8 channels as output channels then slect them individually in the Master IO dropdown I don't seem to be able to get individual output to specific channels. For example, if I select channel 3 I get sound coming from channels 1 and 2 as well. Can anyone suggest how I can get output to individual channels please?