I must be missing something....recreating a synth sound

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sleepy dinosaur

I must be missing something....recreating a synth sound

Post by Sleepy dinosaur » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:55 am

Hell, its probably a preset in Analog. I was at a buddy's house (he has live 8) playing with operator and analog.

I'm looking to get that moody, fat analog synth sound heard millions of times...most notably the opening half of Bon Iver's "Calgary"

Its nothing special but I can't, for the life of me, create something with the depth it has.

Anyone help me out? I was going to save out my attempts and post them (if thats possible) so you can see where I am...but I forgot when I left.

I have started from pre-sets and began tweaking, I'm in the neighborhood but my weak synth programing skills have a thinner sound thats just not the same. It lacks the analog feel and the overall "body" of the sound.

Its probably newb city and I apologize for that. I wouldn't ask if I didn't feel I was out of ideas.

Vios

Re: I must be missing something....recreating a synth sound

Post by Vios » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:59 pm

link?

dylandigits

Post by dylandigits » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:19 pm

The synth at the beginning of that Bon Iver tune is a slightly brassy-sounding pad with a low pass filter on it. The key is going to be using more than one voice and then detuning the voices slightly in opposite directions, which will give it a sense of width and wavery pitch. (You could boost that wavery part by putting a slight LFO on the pitch of one or both of the voices.)

On top of that, I'd add some chorus, a little delay, and reverb with enough mid-low range reflection to taste. Add saturator for a little warm distortion, if you'd like.

Looking at the Live presets, I'd say OB Brass in the Instrument Rack->Synth Brass presets comes close when you use the cutoff and add the effects yourself.

condra

Post by condra » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:18 am

Yeah it’s a fairly standard subtractive brass patch, with a low filter and a fair bit of reverb......

....... I would have said that until I tried to recreate it in Analog.. and it wasn’t happening for me.

Best I could do was get fairly close in Operator.
patch link:
www.zexualhealing.com/files/brass_op.zip