Newbie APC 40 Mapping

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Fresno Bob

Newbie APC 40 Mapping

Post by Fresno Bob » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:13 pm

How do I custom map the APC 40 and override the defaults. For example I want one of the deveice knobs to always map to a an effect knob on track 1. I have a EQ device on track 1 which I always want a given device control on the APC 40 to map to it. Just like a regular controller. Cheers Chris.

o0bigs0o

Re: Newbie APC 40 Mapping

Post by o0bigs0o » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:25 pm

Checkout the akaipro.com website for a picture of the APC40 midi mappings
Ableton Live Suite 9.01
Windoze 7:Intel Core I7,Gen1-4GB Ram:NI Maschine:NI Komplete 9:Akai Pro APC 40:
Isotonik 8:Novation Launchpad:OktoPad 2
IPad2 64:Touchable:LivKontrol:TouchOSC

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:39 pm

Set the APC40 up as a midi controller with remote switched on for inputs and outputs in your preferences, the rest is simple...

Cheers
D

UCAudio

Post by UCAudio » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:23 pm

I'm kind of wondering the same thing. I'm thinking about buying an APC 40... I'd like to be able to use the core APC mapping/functions... then quickly switch over to my own custom midi cc mapping for the faders/knobs/buttons so I can control interfaces of kontakt instruments... then quickly switch back to the regular APC functions. Is something like this possible?

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:32 pm

It's mos definitely possible, but it requires assistance.
i.e,
Midi Remote Scripts
M4L
Bomes
or Various templates made in Bomes and M4L

lachance_11@msn.com

Post by lachance_11@msn.com » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:48 pm

Its easy as pie. You can literally rewrite the entire apc 40 mapping from top to bottom. Id really suggest starting with a premade mapping though - itll save you a loot of time and trouble. Id definitely recommend Will Marshalls free template to start - if youre looking at doing some live mixing with the apc. Its an awesome mapping and ive already made a lot of my own changes and he actually just came out with a pro version not too long ago that looks incredible. if you elaborate a bit more i could probably help u out with the mapping.

misa

Post by misa » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:55 pm

Posted on another thread, but applies here as well:

If you're wanting to change the APC default behavior, it does involve python coding.

This seems to be the best source on going down that route and also provides a really great alternate script with step sequencer functions and more: http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/

This script also has several pages for the clip launch buttons and knobs, so you can keep the default settings then switch pages and have a different set of functions for the knobs and buttons that you've mapped out.

MaxforLive may also provide a means to accomplish this, but I don't have experience with it.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:19 pm

If you have m4l then click below ;-)

Cheers
D

UCAudio

Post by UCAudio » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks for the replies. I just pulled the trigger today and ordered an APC40. Can't wait to get it. I'll make sure to learn the core features first before looking into custom mapping.

Does anyone know if any existing template/map etc that turns the APC into a simple midi controller where all of the knobs and faders send midi cc values... and the grid selection buttons send midi notes or cc values? That's pretty much what i'm looking for. Although, i'd like a way to quickly turn the regular features back on.

Also, using the stock APC40 festures, I'd like to be able to send tracks to specific send fx... like Soundtoys Echoboy delay. From reading the manual I know this is easy with the send knobs... but what if I want to be able to tweak the feedback, delay speed, or other knobs in the Soundtoys delay vst in real time with APC40 knobs. Is that possible, or can you only tweek knobs on track fx and not send fx?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:35 pm

The apc40 sends midi and control surface messages, if you hard midi map any controls it loses it default functionality, you can't just switch it on and off....

Get it working and then start searching around, you'll find plenty of templates out there... Just be aware you can't do what your asking with a new remote script.....

Cheers
D

UCAudio

Post by UCAudio » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:44 pm

Ok cool, i'm going to look into these existing custom reports and templates. D, your stuff looks great.

So I know the lower 8 knobs can tweak track fx. Is there anyway to tweak send fx parameters without having to create a custom script?

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:09 pm

Simple APC40 tricks that dont involve any 3rd party stuff

The bottom 4 "Device Control" knobs use the 'blue hand' technique. SO, one cool trick is to map buttons to title bars of FX devices. These devices can be ANYWHERE. So when you push an assigned button and it selects a title bar, you have instant control over the 8 Macros.

The PAN, SEND A, SEND B, and SEND C buttons are also banks for the Track Control Knobs. In other words if you have PAN pressed, the Knobs send out midi messages on ch1, if you have SEND A pressed, the knobs send out midi messages on ch2.
SO with this in mind you could press PAN, then in Ableton go into MIDI MAP mode and map the Track Control Knobs to what ever you want. Exit MIDI MAP mode. Press SEND A, and go into MIDI MAP mode, now assign the same knobs to a different set of parameters, then exit MIDI MAP mode. Now when you press PAN the Track Control Knobs control whatever you assigned them to first. If you press SEND A they control whatever you assigned them to second. HOWEVER with this method YOU CANNOT midi map the PAN SEND A etc buttons, because it will disrupt the banking.

ALSO, when shift is held on the APC40, the 8 buttons underneath the DEVICE CONTROL knobs will 'bank' through a native Live device. For example, if you have an instance of Operator 'blue handed' the Knobs control the top level of parameters, if you press Shift+DEVICE ON/OFF button, the knobs control the second level of banked parameter. SO with that in mind, the banking of Live's devices is sometimes wacky. You can change how these devices get banked with a script from the beatwisenetwork.

The APC40 does lots of cools stuff right out of the box. If you want more, as Darren said there is a lot available. I prefer a combination of Bomes and Max for Live.

nonnus

Post by nonnus » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:42 am

quick question regarding apc 40 and max for live to the gurus out there:
when a live device is "blue handed " by the apc, is it possible to get the mapped device control parameter names and values thru max for live (for display for example)?

i did some quick tests on my own using the lom navigator and almost found what i wanted, i could get parameters from highlighted device but not the blue hand one :(

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:06 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:Simple APC40 tricks that dont involve any 3rd party stuff

The bottom 4 "Device Control" knobs use the 'blue hand' technique. SO, one cool trick is to map buttons to title bars of FX devices. These devices can be ANYWHERE. So when you push an assigned button and it selects a title bar, you have instant control over the 8 Macros.

The PAN, SEND A, SEND B, and SEND C buttons are also banks for the Track Control Knobs. In other words if you have PAN pressed, the Knobs send out midi messages on ch1, if you have SEND A pressed, the knobs send out midi messages on ch2.
SO with this in mind you could press PAN, then in Ableton go into MIDI MAP mode and map the Track Control Knobs to what ever you want. Exit MIDI MAP mode. Press SEND A, and go into MIDI MAP mode, now assign the same knobs to a different set of parameters, then exit MIDI MAP mode. Now when you press PAN the Track Control Knobs control whatever you assigned them to first. If you press SEND A they control whatever you assigned them to second. HOWEVER with this method YOU CANNOT midi map the PAN SEND A etc buttons, because it will disrupt the banking.

Is it possible to combine these 2 techniques? IE to use the Send B/C to select a device regardless of where it is, and then use the knobs to control the Macros? That would be awfully useful for me. I don't want to lose any default functionality from the Device Control section, as I use all those functions a lot, but I never use more than 1 send, so Sends B/C are pretty much wasted in my set up.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:19 pm

No sorry, as soon as you midi map the send buttons they wont change the bank of the encoders above them... You'll need to think of using other buttons....

Cheers
D