Setting Macro to skip certain intervals of parameter?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Citizen

Setting Macro to skip certain intervals of parameter?

Post by Citizen » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:45 am

I have a Macro mapped to the Synced Rate of an Arpeggiator.

I want to be able to cycle through the various different rates of arpeggiation BUT only in multiples of 1/4 notes. (ie. no 1/16, 1/3, 1/24 etc)

Is there a way that I can program is to skip the unwanted intervals when cycling through?

stoersignal

Re: Setting Macro to skip certain intervals of parameter?

Post by stoersignal » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:30 am

NO!!

means: no, without max4live!

if you have maxforlive take a look at mapulator (for example).

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:13 am

Or use multiple Arpeggiators in a rack spread across the chain, then macro the rack to the chain selector?

Cheers
D

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:25 am

S4racen wrote:Or use multiple Arpeggiators in a rack spread across the chain, then macro the rack to the chain selector?

Cheers
D
Oh, right! Wow....I think I get what you mean.

Set up multiple Arpeggiators, one for each of the intervals that I want ( 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64, 1/128) in parallel chains, and then assign a macro to the chain selector to switch between each?

That would work! Thanks!

...one minor snag - I have another Macro currently assigned to the 'Style' parameter of the Arpegiator - enabling me to switch the patterns of the Arp on the fly. If I use multiple Arpegiators, as I think you are suggesting, then my Macro will have no effect once my chain switches to the different Arps.

EDIT:

....BUT.... I could probably map the 'Style' function of ALL of the Arps to the 'Style' macro - which would silver it. Awesome!

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:45 am

Hmmm.... I did this, but ended up with an instrument in EACH of my 8 chains - which ended up being super noisy! Ugh!

Is there a way that I can have each chain feed into a SINGLE instance of an instrument? (without routing the Midi to another channel which holds the instrument?)

mike_o

Post by mike_o » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:34 am

you can do this with buttons instead of knobs, If your midi controller allows you to assign a specific value to the buttons output.

on my remote SL 25 MK1 I do this all the time.

step 1: Map the macro.

step 2: create a couple of buttons on your midi controller all sending the same midi CC#, lets say #20.

step 3: make 1 button send out CC#20 at a value of 16, the next button sends CC#20 at a value of 32, the next button sends CC#20 at a value of 48 (or whatever you need to hit the value you want).

Then you'll have a dedicated button for 1/4, another dedicated button for 1/8 etc...

this depends on whether or not your controller allows you to specify output values when pressed.

Novation Remote SL and NI's maschine will allow you to do this for sure.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:03 pm

Citizen wrote:Hmmm.... I did this, but ended up with an instrument in EACH of my 8 chains - which ended up being super noisy! Ugh!

Is there a way that I can have each chain feed into a SINGLE instance of an instrument? (without routing the Midi to another channel which holds the instrument?)
Umm, did you distribute the chains across the spectrum of cc's??

Cheers
D

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:24 pm

S4racen wrote:
Citizen wrote:Hmmm.... I did this, but ended up with an instrument in EACH of my 8 chains - which ended up being super noisy! Ugh!

Umm, did you distribute the chains across the spectrum of cc's??

Cheers
D
Yes, I did...

....I think the reason that it got very noisy was that one of my Macros was assigned to 'Note Length', and another assigned to Arp Sync increments - when the Arp Sync was esp. fast ( > 1/32 - 1/128), and the note length long, the decays of each note were just stacking up on one another = too much noise. My bad.

I take that there is no way to feed my chains into a single instance of an instrument within a channel then?

Furthermore, how can I record the resultant midi created from this device?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:17 pm

You need your instrument outside of the rack, that way it only receives the midi that is coming out of the rack....

As for recording the midi, you'd need a seperate track thats configured in its i/o to receive the midi from your original track thats armed and ready to record, this is covered in the manual....

Cheers
D

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:49 am

S4racen wrote:You need your instrument outside of the rack, that way it only receives the midi that is coming out of the rack....
I can't seem to do this. Here is my rack:

Live only seems to let me place my instrument in the 'Drop Instrument Here' area - which is at the end of each individual Chain in my device.

When I try to drag an instrument OUTSIDE of the rack, to the right, it won't let me - or it replaces my whole rack with the instrument that I am trying to place to the right of it.

Surely this can be done.... I must just be missing something.

prebentious

Post by prebentious » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:26 am

You're using an instrument rack.
you need to make a midi effect rack with all the arpeggiators, and put that in front of your instrument.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:12 am

Aha!

Thanks, I only just realised that there is some significance to the distinction between a Mid Effect Rack and an Instrument Rack. I won't forget that now!

JadedEvan

Post by JadedEvan » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:59 am

prebentious wrote:You're using an instrument rack.
you need to make a midi effect rack with all the arpeggiators, and put that in front of your instrument.
FTW. Nice to see problems solved in one page of discussions!