Kenton KIllamix mini - questions

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
monoaural

Kenton KIllamix mini - questions

Post by monoaural » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:49 am

hi folks.

got recently a kenton killamix which i´m using in ableton 8.2 besides my monome gs64.

while i´m using my monome with an app called _pages as an ableton clip launcher (apc40 style), my killamix takes care about the effects paramter within a track. works pretty fine. still have some questions:

1. are there any kenton killamix users here? what are your experience within abelton?

2. are there any remote scripts for the killmix? what i would love to do, is to use the joystick as the cursor buttons on an akai apc40 to be able to move within the track patterns.

3.tried to check which firmare i have on my killamix. it seems like i have firmware 1103 which can´t be. i thinks the latest is 1022.

encoder#1 LED 1
encoder#2 LED 1
encoder#3 LED 15
encoder#4 LED 3

->1103
4. when assignin parameters to my killamix encoders in ableton midi-mode (cmd+m) sometimes, actually quite often,but not alwyas some of the assigned parameters are jumping like crazy. like some midi movements has been recorded. when i re-assign. sometimes everything works normaly and i can tweak the parameters like it suposed to be.

any help would be great.

have a nice day.
Last edited by monoaural on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarekith

Re: Kenton KIllamix - questions

Post by Tarekith » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:01 pm

1. are there any kenton killamix users here? what are your experience within abelton?

>>>If you mean the Killamix mini, I have one and have been happy using it since it came out. <<<

2. are there any remote scripts for the killmix? what i would love to do, is to use the joystick as the cursor buttons on an akai apc40 to be able to move within the track patterns.

>>> I haven't seen any, but I haven't really looked either. <<<

3.tried to check which firmare i have on my killamix. it seems like i have firmware 1103 which can´t be. i thinks the latest is 1022.

>>>Hmm, odd, 1022 is the latest, no idea why your's is showing that. Drop Kenton an email and ask, they are pretty good about quick replies. <<<

4. when assignin parameters to my killamix encoders in ableton midi-mode (cmd+m) sometimes, actually quite often,but not alwyas some of the assigned parameters are jumping like crazy. like some midi movements has been recorded. when i re-assign. sometimes everything works normaly and i can tweak the parameters like it suposed to be.

>>>You're sure you don't have those parameter changes recorded in Arrange view? <<<

monoaural

Re: Kenton KIllamix mini - questions

Post by monoaural » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:18 pm

Tarekith wrote:1. are there any kenton killamix users here? what are your experience within abelton?

>>>If you mean the Killamix mini, I have one and have been happy using it since it came out. <<<

yep. exactly that one. killamix mini. cool. like it aswell.

>>> I haven't seen any, but I haven't really looked either. <<<

heard it´s only possible in python. but as far as i know the ableton midi remote scripts are compiled python scripts.... must be a way though....
[/color]

>>>Hmm, odd, 1022 is the latest, no idea why your's is showing that. Drop Kenton an email and ask, they are pretty good about quick replies. <<<

done.

>>>You're sure you don't have those parameter changes recorded in Arrange view? <<<

mm.. not to sure about that. will check..
where can i actually turn those parameter changes record on and off?
thanks in the meanwhile for this quick answer. always good to have you arround tarekith.
:D

skymakai

Re: Kenton KIllamix mini - questions

Post by skymakai » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:38 pm

Hey, y'all.

I got turned on to the Kenton Killamix Mini, when I saw that Tarekith had given it a great review a few years ago. It's a solid controller that I don't want to let go of... but, it's functionality is lacking, when I want something that works quick. This led me to start searching out a MIDI remote script for it.

I didn't find any remote scripts for it, but I found that Ableton allows us to edit a text file of some simple parameters and have virtually any controller work to automatically control devices, mixer faders, sends, etc.
So, I created a controller script to make the Kenton Killamix Mini automatically map to selected devices, change banks in those devices, and to control the transport.

Download link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1s2pmnepdvlnjxy/3CkYig_upm

Instructions:
Download the Folder "Kenton Killamix Mini", including the text file, and place it in: ~/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live 8.3.4/User Remote Scripts

In Ableton MIDI/Sync settings, choose the Kenton Killamix Mini as your control surface. (it will be near the bottom of the list, not in alphabetic order)
Enable Track and Remote, In and Out, for the Kenton Killamix Mini MIDI ports.

Change the Kenton Killamix Mini's joystick to 4 pole, no zero, setting. Follow the Killamix manual for this.

Set the Killamix on MIDI Channel 1.

That's it. Enjoy!