Live 8.3 FTW!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3dot...

Re: Live 8.3 FTW!

Post by 3dot... » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:00 am

it now installs into 'program Data' folder
(instead of 'program files')

I think they should have left the title display with the version #..
but it doesn't bother me that much..

I'm guessing we won't be having separate versions installed from now on ?

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:28 am

uncredible haak wrote:
The default installation path of the Live application has changed on Windows. More information can be found in our Knowledge Base.
I can't find anything in the Knowledge Base. Anybody else find anything, or know what's the deal with it wanting to install into ProgramData insteaad of Program Files (x86)?
I can't understand the logic with this. :?

Why install Live into Program Data folder ? What are the 'benefits' ?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:08 am

ttilberg wrote: This partnership with Soundcloud is brilliant from a business point of view, because they just gave every single person who uses Soundcloud a FREE ticket into Ableton Live's upgrade path to PAY for a full version of Live 8. And then, likely in the near future, they will be paying AGAIN to upgrade to Live 9. If you think the option to Export to Soundcloud was exclusively "Let's give our userbase this extra option, they might like it" you are nuts. It's a marketing partnership that has immense benefits both companies, and even the user.

Part of providing amazing tools for you to use is to make sure they can continue to improve upon them in the future. Sometimes people forget Ableton is a proper business.
This makes sense for sure, but it's not like you should expect users who have a working process for completing songs, that a lot of times does not include mastering that song in Live to be thrilled about Ableton's new revenue flow. Sometimes a new revenue flow causes other areas of a company to stagnate, (cough 'Mac Pros with Apple' cough!)...
Or to put it more precisely, yes they are a proper business, which means that they don't always make decisions that I'm supportive of, and sometimes they do. :|

sebrov

Post by sebrov » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:50 am

Sibanger wrote:
uncredible haak wrote:
The default installation path of the Live application has changed on Windows. More information can be found in our Knowledge Base.
I can't find anything in the Knowledge Base. Anybody else find anything, or know what's the deal with it wanting to install into ProgramData insteaad of Program Files (x86)?

i believe this will provide you with some info http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=177886

dokx

Post by dokx » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:15 am

ttilberg wrote:
Yeah, business is good for everyone. How about selling advertising space on the useless empty clip-space on the return channels? Could be a fantastic "feature" for Live 8.4.
I don't understand why people feel so burned by Ableton over the Soundcloud integration? When you bought Ableton Live 8, you knew what features it did and didn't have. Why should you expect any wishlist items to be added in? This extra nugget is an unexpected addition that makes more money for Ableton to continue to pay their programmers the big bucks they deserve, more money for SoundCloud to continue to provide their unique music hosting services the way they do, and added value to at least some (more likely 'many') users who post their music online.

Perhaps as a current paying Soundcloud user I'm biased here, but I'm having a hard time seeing the lack of benefit to this upgrade -- To say that they aren't addressing "wishlist" items is silly. Are they not? Unless you work within Ableton, you have no idea what they are actually working on alongside these smaller updates.
Well I am certainly not expecting an essential update like 64bit with a new 8.x. version, but I don't really understand why it's so difficult to help out with some small improvements a lot of users wish, like new/more shortcuts, more colours etc.. Is that really so difficult to implement? And soundcloud is so easy that they do it with 8.3?

I am not a coder though, so perhaps I underestimate the difficulites of that.

No, SC is hip, that's the point I guess.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:59 am

sebrov wrote:
Sibanger wrote:

i believe this will provide you with some info http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=177886
The reason for the change is that the auto-update, to work, need to find the program in a location that is not program files, where special permissions are necessary to update files and folders.

Google Chrome uses App Data, we chose Program Data because then the installation is for "all users", on the computer.

Regards,
Amaury
OK then. Thanks sebrov & Amaury :)

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:27 pm

What exactly is the "support for the Akai MPK mini"? I can't seem to find any info on it. I mean there is already a template floating around for it that works pretty well with the racks and macros, so what does this added support actually do?

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:36 pm

Machinesworking wrote:yes they are a proper business, which means that they don't always make decisions that I'm supportive of, and sometimes they do.
True that. Did someone just say Final Cut Pro? :)
dokx wrote:like new/more shortcuts, more colours etc..
And true this too.

Back on topic to the subject of thoughts on 8.3, I gave the Soundcloud uploader a shot last night, it worked pretty sweet.

I was chunking out a kind of tech housy groove, and wanted to share it with my music mate a few hours away. Typically we export > convert to mp3 > email our rough sketches before it's a finished track. This time I used the new option to push it straight to our Soundcloud account as a private track with one extra check box. It worked far better than I expected it to, although one thing I was expecting was exporting it straight to Soundcloud (from like a temp file or something) but it still has you put your .wav somewhere, like normal exporting -- it just makes the process of sending it to Soundcloud a milisecond faster/easier. Even still, for me, it is a welcome addition.

Like I said in other posts in this thread, I guess I'm pretty biased towards the update, because I already use and pay for Soundcloud.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

pedrogent

Post by pedrogent » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:09 pm

3dot... wrote:I'm guessing we won't be having separate versions installed from now on ?
Anyone know if this is the case?

Having half a billion Live 8 folders in /Applications on a Mac is no fun.
iMac 12,2 (OS X 10.8.x // quad 2.7 GHz // 16 GB)
Benchmark DAC1 USB
Live 9 Suite