In-depth interview with creative visionary Rob Levit/Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
roblevit@roblevit.com

Me and Ableton

Post by roblevit@roblevit.com » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:15 pm

I am connected to Ableton --I BUY every piece of software, updates, and new products they offer. It is reasonably priced high performance software that is the ultimate in flexibility.

I constantly refer to techincal questions and answers on the board, and indeed get myself in trouble with my REDONKULOUS posts about my fanstasy of being a creative visionary.

Ableton -- It is an outstanding company and I use Ableton on gigs, as a sketchbook, and in conjunction with my visual art. I use it to create loops and compositions that are bought by network TV shows and dance companies, etc.

So yes, Andrew, I am professionally connected with Ableton -- I give them my money and I love what they offer. I turn on every one I can to thier software and will always do so. To quote an early review of Ableton, "it's more addictive than crack." I wouldn't know that personally, but I can only imagine.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... i_n5650707

Thanks for asking. :)
Artist-In-Residence, Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts. Ableton Live 4, Toshiba Satellite, Heritage electric guitars, Martin and Seagull Acoustics, VS-1680, Roland Groove Box

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:50 pm

It is also healthier than crack.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:30 pm

Personnaly when I'm asked for a Biog, for whatever reason, and i have to write it myself, i feel like a bit of a tit when i get to part where i quote myself. You know (or remember maybe) when your typing
When asked why anyone should listen to his music ikeaboy said ".....whatever"
I primarily think of what my mates will say, i'm Irish and people really dont let it slide if you use "I like ideas that weren't explored fully in there original incarnation". in a press release. I was sneerily called Original Incarnation for months, honest.(by my best mates) :lol:
But, "confuse the enemy as to your strenght"- Lao Tsu
And
"If you’re happy with what you’re doing, if you’re enjoying what you’re doing and there’s millions of other people out there doing good stuff and enjoying what they’re doing, you’ve got to jump up from the crowd really and say ‘look, here I am and this is what we’re doing’. Otherwise you might get a bit lost."- Andrew Weatherall

I'm with you Roblevit in the most part but when your on this forum your amoung your peers in a schoolyard sense, so bigging yourself up here and promoting yourself will raise a few eyebrows 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O .......Even if i am now curious about your music
Last edited by ikeaboy on Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:30 pm

smutek wrote:It is also healthier than crack.
Barely Image

Me after a long weekend of nothing but Live in the studio.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:33 pm

a guillty :lol: Kennerb man thats cold :!:

roblevit@roblevit.com

Man, she's or he??? is hot --

Post by roblevit@roblevit.com » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:35 pm

You cats are "crackin'" me up. OK, I am done with the shameless promo bit, except SMUTEK look at page 49 of Baltimore Magazine and see what just came out, maybe tootin' your own horn does create a vibe! I just heard about that today. I'll post what it says later. Hey, everyone, thanks for puttin' up with my crazy posts. I just had a chocolate shake so need to go take a nap. :)
Artist-In-Residence, Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts. Ableton Live 4, Toshiba Satellite, Heritage electric guitars, Martin and Seagull Acoustics, VS-1680, Roland Groove Box

3phase

Re: Here is another new review, thanks for all the PM's.

Post by 3phase » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:03 pm

roblevit@roblevit.com wrote:http://www.chaindlk.com/reviews/index.p ... type=music

Hey everyone, Thanks for all the encouraging PM's and e-mails you have sent. It is greatly appreciated! :) I know my post comes off as a bit arrogant, but I still know I am a creative visonary. ......
. I want to make artful, meaningful, and creative music and gain recognition, which IS happening.
I want my music to exist for many not just a few.

If someone has a "high opinion" of themself does that make them automatically a jerk, egotistical, or a wanker? Dig deeper -- explore my site www.roblevit.com and decide if I am FOS. If that's what you decide, that's cool. At least it was an informed position. aso...Hear Levit the musician at 49 West every Thursday from 8:30-10:30pm and Galway Bay for Sunday brunch. Hear Levit talk on creativity December 7 at Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts. See Levit the painter thru Dec. 17, also at Maryland Hall. Sample and order his albums at www.roblevit.com.

© COPYRIGHT 2004 by New Bay Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved.

www.roblevit.com

wow..you realy have an inflated ego... is this caused by a prozak therapie?

Note: Art begins where the ego ends

roblevit@roblevit.com

Post by roblevit@roblevit.com » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:10 pm

Thanks for writing! I haven't tried prozac, my therapy is Ableton Live :)

krusty

Post by krusty » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:45 am

"explore my site www.roblevit.com and decide if I am FOS"

One doesn't have to explore your site to know that you are "FOS"

Full of self

roblevit@roblevit.com

Krusty, I'll be in Bellingham for a tour on May 29

Post by roblevit@roblevit.com » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:35 am

Krusty, just noticed you are in Seattle. I'll be in Bellingham for a jazz concert series on May 29. I can't wait to get out to your part of the country -- the people are awesome and the scenery incredible. If I can get you a comp ticket let me know, it would be my pleasure, Best wishes and thanks for writing ROB :)

toneroll

Post by toneroll » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:44 am

hey rob, what would someone have to write for you to actually have an honest reply..

basically people are just calling you a......... erm ..............

wanker?

and you just keep going "hey, yo, you cats crack me up" " i love your comments" " you're so cool" "thanks for writing"

come on man say what you really feel

let's have it right.
there used to be a well cheesy "sig." here

supster

Post by supster » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:50 am

you can know you're good, but a little humility goes a long way

imo

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

roblevit@roblevit.com

Toneroll

Post by roblevit@roblevit.com » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:51 am

My honest reply is that I brought this on myself. It was pretty stupid to think that folks on this board wouldn't jump on me for being such an inflated and pompous windbag. The bottom line -- I have endured worse criticisms and am sure will in my lifetime, that's part of it. I can endure the criticisms on this board, I brought them on myself, after all. The kind that are tougher are the ones that blind side you. Fortunately, haven't had those in a long time. Anway, sorry to the board for this bull crap I put up here. I will say, I have been working on taking some calculated risks and this was one of them, it wasn't planned too well, obviously. I have learned a lot.

krusty

Post by krusty » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:51 am

"Krusty, just noticed you are in Seattle. I'll be in Bellingham for a jazz concert series on May 29. I can't wait to get out to your part of the country -- the people are awesome and the scenery incredible. If I can get you a comp ticket let me know, it would be my pleasure, Best wishes and thanks for writing ROB"

Why that's mighty kind of you roblevit@roblevit.com. Especially since I was bustin' your nuts. Bellingham is very nice town and I'm sure you'll have a great time there. Best of luck

roblevit@roblevit.com

Point taken

Post by roblevit@roblevit.com » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:02 am

I think one of my points, which backfired, was -- look, we are all musicians, and many of us want/deserve exposure. Why do we tolerate
Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, and Justin Timberlake (sorry if I'm offending anyone's tastes). These are people who have millions of dollars of marketing behind them and make millions yet little guys (such as myself and many thousands of CVIT's creative visionaries in training) can never say anything radical. I KNOW there are other people on this board who feel the seed of greatness in them but don't know where to place it. Well, what's wrong with putting it out there? Are we content just to let the big names get the glory? Some deserve to be on top, but how about the American Idol phenomenon? I mean, do we really think that that can be healthy? Kids should be studying electronic music and improvisation and all that cool shit. Well, we are snuffed out by the big press, so we gotta take it to them. Even if you think I'm a jerk off wanker at least you know who I am now. I'd rather have you mock me and dislike me than not have you at least wonder what this goofball is up to. I'm not just sitting on my buttocks everyday. I'm really out there and trying to help kids with my lessons and performances. I'll drive anywhere any time to make music. It's a one person at a time thing. My method here was misplaced -- I wanted to reach a lot of people at once and I did, the wrong way. I have worked with kids with learning disabilities who GET music for the first time because they can SEE it moving by with Ableton. That's powerful stuff for people who have failed to learn music. I'm not just a self-seeking glory pig (belive me I'm not getting rich doing this LOL). Some great things can and do happen when we take a genuine stand and become genuinally inspired by our own work. I mean, this is not a humble world we live in. You have to take a stand and get something going or there will be less opportunities. How many jazz clubs in your town? Electronic music clubs? How many smoky bars with cover bands? A few too many UNQUALITY creative places where I'm from!!! It's a battle in the sense that I feel, and may this is my own MISTAKEN perception, that creativity and ballsiness in the arts is on the decline. Yes, we can create in our basements but IMHO (ok, maybe not so humble given my prev. posts) but our work MUST stand for something and we must get it out there even if we are flamed for it! Any takers?? I mean GO for it and see what can happen. Don't be sorry at the end of the day that you didn't let folks who would love to hear what you are doing and better yet, that your creations can change people's lives! OK, I'm out of breath, ideas, and decent grammar.

Again, I really do apologize for being such an idiot! :(