Thoughts on Ableton Live 9 and Share

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kristian

Thoughts on Ableton Live 9 and Share

Post by kristian » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:57 pm

Hey,

I just need to get this off my chest as it has been bugging me for a long time...

Basically, one of the features I was really excited about when Live 8 was first announced was Share. It was marketed as a new interactive way to work with other musicians, and I must admit that this was a major reason why I purchased Live 8. It turned out the share feature was pretty useless and so the abes removed it with promises of working on a new share feature. Basically the normal "we have some new ideas that will lead to a whole new experience" talk that I've heard before. This was 1 year ago? 2? I don't know.. lost track of time

Every time I read a thread like "When is Live 9 coming out???", I can't help but feel cheated.. surely, abes should be working on giving the customers of live 8 all the features they payed for first? I mean, shouldn't they focus on implementing the promised features of Live 8 before they even start to *think* about Live 9? Hopefully I'm not the only one feeling cheated; I paid alot of cash for Live 8 and I'm still missing what was, for me, one of its original selling points....

ps. hopefully there have been some news on this that I haven't seen; its just that every time I browse this forum I see alot of "Live 9 blabla" threads while nobody seems to mind that Live 8 isn't actually, for me, complete yet

ttilberg

Re: Thoughts on Ableton Live 9 and Share

Post by ttilberg » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:36 pm

Share Live Sets
Ableton were smart to add a ‘Share Live Set’ functionality to version 8. For many years producers have been emailing and Rapidsharing Ableton live sets to each other, but the new feature makes thing faster and more stable.

Share also includes the ability to set access permissions so you can have multiple producers working on one project at the same time without fear of overwriting each other’s work.
Huh. I guess I had forgotten about that. That would be pretty sweet. Unfortunately "DropBox" + "Collect and Save" is as close as we have to this functionality currently. Lame.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

kristian

Post by kristian » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:40 pm

yeah.. I understand why its almost forgotten as they removed the forum topic (there used to be an individual "Share" topic here) and they don't removed the share feature from the live 8 promo video. But still, this feature is still one of the main reasons I bought Live 8

dj_blueprint

Post by dj_blueprint » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:06 am

Ableton is teaming up with Dropbox, you'll get 5 months free Pro Account with Dropbox and Ableton integration for sharing sets with other users. Coming soon to version 8.4

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:31 am

dj_blueprint wrote:Ableton is teaming up with Dropbox, you'll get 5 months free Pro Account with Dropbox and Ableton integration for sharing sets with other users. Coming soon to version 8.4
shame..

I do agree that soundcloud is where everything is at right now..
and it's cool that Ableton is making deals with big names...

but ..
... I thought "integration" would mean much more than an "upload to soundcloud" button..

is this just about saving me a couple of mouse clicks ?
because..
it's pretty effortless to upload to soundcloud as is !

innovation....at it's best? huh?
I thought you'd try the "live jamming"/"online session" route...
meh..

what can I say..
please get this over with so we can get on with the next version..PLEASE !

this one (8) has timing issues..
and the first iteration of m4l is aching for some serious changes/improvements..
Max is already at v6...btw
which is like a lack of synchronicity..
which is how m4l really feels..

I know it's been a rough time for Ableton..
personally ..I don't really care about the friggin 'share' feature..
already forgiven and forgot ..
but please.. Live9 beta...soon...
make it good again..

Cuica man

Post by Cuica man » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:43 am

This is one of the reasons I upgraded to version 8. Bad form Ableton!

kristian

Post by kristian » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:41 am

Cuica man wrote:This is one of the reasons I upgraded to version 8. Bad form Ableton!
Glad I'm not the only one!

So I was looking through old forum posts; here's one from 2010:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=144202
and
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 39&start=0
and one from 2011
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156577

So... it seems that this comes up every year or so...

do people really see the soundcloud upload button as the share feature? or dropbox?? The reason I'm upset is that the official word from ableton is "Still Working On It".... I mean, are they really? I somehow doubt it...

llamaza

Post by llamaza » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:07 am

Same here. Share funcionality was the main reason to get Live. Before they realease the 9 version they must give us Share.

dokx

Post by dokx » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:59 am

EDM will be the next form of art where the amount of people producing is much larger than the amount of people consuming.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:25 am

^^
what a totally unrelated absurdity..

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:21 pm

The Share feature is mostly unrelated to Lives core functions, so even if they do re-introduce the idea with Live 9 they should be able to easily retrofit it onto Live 8.

If they ever do implement Share without giving it, free of charge, to Live 8 users then they should be ashamed.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

kristian

Post by kristian » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:04 pm

actually, this brings to mind an important issue: can they actually legally NOT implement it? Seeing as they marketed and sold the program with false premises, can they legally NOT implement it? Is it possible to sue? I'm not saying we should, I'm actually curious as to how responsible software companies are when it comes to false advertising.... I do know that companies in the past have been sued for false advertising, the latest is a pending lawsuit against Apple based on the iPad3 and the false claims of a "pure" 4G implementation

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:06 pm

Just ask refund for the false ad.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:21 pm

I'm actually curious as to how responsible software companies are when it comes to false advertising....
Congratulations! You've won 10 free iPads for life!
:) Obviously slightly different situation --- but that was my first thought :)
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:22 pm

what would "share" do that using dropbox doesn't deliver free and easy?