Live 8.3 failed side by side configuration incorrect

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
filosofem

Live 8.3 failed side by side configuration incorrect

Post by filosofem » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:11 am

Account Downloads implies "If you already have 8.2 installed, you can use the smaller "Program only" installer." using 'Live 8.3 with sounds' is indeed a full installer, that is, a previous version of Live is not required to use Live 8.3.0. Following this conclusion, installing Live 8.3 with sounds at the recommended default directory (ProgramData) a error dialog message saying:

C:ProgramData\Ableton\Live 8\Program\Ableton Live 8.exe
The application has failed to start because it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe too for more detail.

Is the option to use Live 8.3 with sounds not the full installer?

Aaron Mulqueen
Aaron Mulqueen

RCUS

Re: Live 8.3 failed side by side configuration incorrect

Post by RCUS » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:31 am

Ditto. Just got this same exact error on a brand new Windows 7 64bit machine. Ableton was literally the second program I went to install. Not a good send off for my new rig.

There's mention of this problem on the Microsoft Answers website but i'm apprehensive about following the instructions without getting an Ableton specific answer first. Again BRAND NEW MACHINE, don't want to muck it all up.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 5e18e3f3ef

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:38 am

just found this:

http://www.ableton.com/articles/sidebyside

its clearly been a while since I updated b/c i didn't even know there was an 'ableton answers' until about 4 minutes ago.

will give this a try in the morning.

filosofem

Post by filosofem » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:40 am

Hey RCUS

In a funny sort of way, that's a good thing, cause I just finished setting up a new partition (clone) and had installed only SP1, LAN and Nvidia drivers and reproduced the error. And you've reproduced it too, that's good to know.

Ummm... where can I find the 8.2.8 download link?

Aaron Mulqueen
Aaron Mulqueen

filosofem

Post by filosofem » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:07 am

That MSVC 2008 Installer did the trick. An installer that critical you would think would be part of Live Prerequisite Installers.

Aaron Mulqueen
Aaron Mulqueen

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:35 am

Right?!

about to give it a go myself, wish me luck!

fedexnman

Post by fedexnman » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:47 am

What a pain in the neck !!

pablorotter

Post by pablorotter » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:22 am

What is the deal with this? Why does the programdata directory appear to be invisible when I install to my C: drive but appears in the directory structure of my samples drive if I install there. (to yet again get the error message)

I'm installing onto a brand new ADK machine, i7 6 core. blah blah blah nothing windows 7 64 big install.

I'm also confused as to what the new install is asking me about where what files go, in the past the program files have gone into the correct respective program folder and its had a dialog for where to install the library.

So how do I get the install to work, will it then make a library folder or ask where to put the library?

Should I just give up and install an older version? Which is the most stable. So confused...I'm running completely stock motherboard, bios, cpu, ram, everything legit.

Thanks for any more input on this topic...

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:19 am

Had the same problem a few days ago while i reinstalled my system. Can´t believe that the installer don´t check this. where is the problem? there is no need to implement this into the live installer but a short message with downloadlink is a good way.

LmnLm3

Post by LmnLm3 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:02 am

This is still happening?? I just got it on a fresh install of W7(64) and did ALL the updates. for an entire day I couldn't use my studio computer - finally got to SP1 and with all of those C++ updates that were required, I'm well past 2008... This seems off... never had this before, and I never installed some odd *old* c++ library.

I miss OSX :(

P-NAP

Post by P-NAP » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:18 pm

I had the same error message today on a fresh installation of Win7 64bit laptop with Ableton Live 8.4.1 ... the only program I installed before Live 8.4.1 was Avira Antivirus witch installs Virtual C++ 2010 ... The Ableton installer installed Virtual C++2008, but live didn't start... and it also did not helped anything to uninstall Virtual C++ 2010 (exept that the antivirus did not worked as well). And I tried uninstalling both versions of C++ and Live, and then installing Live again, but it didn't help... :x

[--- MY SOLLUTION ---]
After installing Win7 again and immediatly install Live 8.4.1 it worked (even without Windows updates)! :mrgreen:
I could imagine that in my case the problem had something to do with installing C++ 2010 before C++ 2008, cause now everything's working (Live, Antivir, VC++2010, VC++2008)...