using omnisphere in a live setting

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bimbom

using omnisphere in a live setting

Post by bimbom » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:37 pm

I really enjoy using omnisphere, but I can't figure out a way around having to load multiple instances of it.

I know it is possible to have one instance, load a different instrument in each omnisphere channel, and then assign a MIDI switch to change channels. However, what I'm trying to do is be able to record loops on the fly, while also being able to switch through instruments.

I'm assuming there's no way to do this, because a track in ableton can only have one instrument at a time. So the second best option for me would be:

- preload 4 instances of omnisphere to my set (1 instance per ableton MIDI track)
- be able to switch between these omnisphere instances on the fly
- be able to change the instrument of these omnisphere instances on the fly
- be able to record a loop at any given time - let's say predefined as a 2 bar loop, but I would like the option to record a 4 bar loop

keep in mind I need to be able to do everything without touching my computer. If anyone is doing something like this I'd love to hear about it!

hendrikstudio

Re: using omnisphere in a live setting

Post by hendrikstudio » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:14 pm

Hi,

don't know if it helps but I tellt you how you can use all 8 tracks of omnisphere.

-Make omnisphere track
-Create as much midi tracks as instruments you want to play in omnisphere.

load all your instruments in the different tracks inside omnisphere ( if you try it with the default instrument somehow it wont play a sound)

than you go to each midi track in live in the midi section, there ou change in section Midi to to your track which inholds your omnisphere instrument.. and below you choose the channel for the correct instrument.. default is instrument 1 is channel 1, instrument 2 is channel 2..

here you have a screenshot..

so you still have to start and stop midi from different midi tracks but your knobs of omnisphere are all placed in 1 midi track.

2nd way.

-just use one midi track for your omnisphere.
-got to stack inside omnisphere and give your instruments different ranges like in screen
-redefine you range with oct +/- in each tracks
-save your multiple instrument at the top

hope i could help.
Last edited by hendrikstudio on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:34 pm

This is how I was doing it for awhile:

http://tarekith.com/the-flickering-dark/

bimbom

Post by bimbom » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:49 pm

hendrikstudio, I really like this first idea. Will try it out when I get home tonight. Thanks!
hendrikstudio wrote:Hi,

don't know if it helps but I tellt you how you can use all 8 tracks of omnisphere.

-Make omnisphere track
-Create as much midi tracks as instruments you want to play in omnisphere.

load all your instruments in the different tracks inside omnisphere ( if you try it with the default instrument somehow it wont play a sound)

than you go to each midi track in live in the midi section, there ou change in section Midi to to your track which inholds your omnisphere instrument.. and below you choose the channel for the correct instrument.. default is instrument 1 is channel 1, instrument 2 is channel 2..

here you have a screenshot..

so you still have to start and stop midi from different midi tracks but your knobs of omnisphere are all placed in 1 midi track.

2nd way.

-just use one midi track for your omnisphere.
-got to stack inside omnisphere and give your instruments different ranges like in screen
-redefine you range with oct +/- in each tracks
-save your multiple instrument at the top

hope i could help.

XPM

Post by XPM » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:23 am

I would do it by putting omnisphere onto a midi track, and then creating a number of further midi tracks with 'external instrument' devices on them. Route each external instrument to a different midi channel on the input of omnisphere, and each audio out from its relevant omnisphere output. You might need to tinker with the midi and audio ins/outs on the omnisphere 'multi' page, but otherwise. Bingo!
Multiple omnisphere instruments from a single instance of omnisphere.

(hope I explained that ok, I'm not at my music pc, and am typing this on my phone)

bimbom

Post by bimbom » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:34 pm

Exactly.. I think this is precisely what henrik was saying. This sounds like the best option.

Now, how to loop without having to touch the computer?! Essentially I'd want a predefined loop amount "2 bars", but with the ability to extend to more bars if I decide I want a longer loop.
XPM wrote:I would do it by putting omnisphere onto a midi track, and then creating a number of further midi tracks with 'external instrument' devices on them. Route each external instrument to a different midi channel on the input of omnisphere, and each audio out from its relevant omnisphere output. You might need to tinker with the midi and audio ins/outs on the omnisphere 'multi' page, but otherwise. Bingo!
Multiple omnisphere instruments from a single instance of omnisphere.

(hope I explained that ok, I'm not at my music pc, and am typing this on my phone)