How is 8.3 so far?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
regretfullySaid

How is 8.3 so far?

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:36 pm

I've seen a few problems mentioned with the official 8.3 release; I'm sticking with the .3b5 for now tend to get more stability out of beta releases than official ones.
I know there had to be an update to Clyphx to work with it...

What are some strange things you guys have been seeing with this release?
ImageImage

Hermanus

Re: How is 8.3 so far?

Post by Hermanus » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:58 pm

there's a fresh clyphx update which solves the problem with 8.3.
it works like a charm :D

The Philosopher King

Post by The Philosopher King » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:07 pm

How is 8.3 so far?
Much the same as before. It crashes a lot despite the advertised, 'improved stability'.

Opz

Post by Opz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:51 pm

The Philosopher King wrote:
How is 8.3 so far?
Much the same as before. It crashes a lot despite the advertised, 'improved stability'.
I've seen this stability issue come and go on the forums but I've never really experienced it that much.
When Live does crash on my sytem, it's usually triggered by a native VST plugin.
Also, for me personally using Windows in the past was more troublesome compared to using OS X nowadays.

One thing that brings instability to Live is the state of the system/OS itself.
Do you manage your files correctly like proper archiving (or defragmentation if you're using Windows)?
Do you use a system which runs an antivirus client? Or a dual boot OS setup to avoid such software?
Do you use pirated software like plugins that have their iLok protection method hacked? Or do you use free and/or purchased software only?
Many more of these things can be the cause of instability or an increase in stability.

Coming back to the topic question:
For me, Live has proven quite stable.
But...
The 8.3 update still didn't bring expandable drumracks in Arrangement View, which is possible in Session View. I really hate that limitation...
The 8.3 update still didn't bring Live the capability to properly display the names of my audio interface's audio channels like all other DAW do.
The 8.3 update still didn't bring the ability for midi mappings being saved in instrument (drumrack etc) templates.
The 8.3 update still didn't bring full native OSC support.
The 8.3 update still didn't bring a detachable mixer :)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:15 pm

It seems to be less stable on my system, but honestly I've been writing in DP7 and Rewireing Live in to DP for the most part.
I have a few songs I started in Live that I'll continue in Live, but so far I've gotten some pretty odd reports from Live. Memory corrupt invalid deallocation etc.
Hopefully this is a rare thing.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:18 pm

I thought I read a couple of threads where some little thing had changed or been wonky yet I haven't done the research to specify it.
ImageImage

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:19 pm

It has been fine on my system so far. I've burned about 15-20 hours on it without issues. With that said, I haven't really had issues before either.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

The Philosopher King

Post by The Philosopher King » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:29 am

Opz wrote:
How is 8.3 so far?
One thing that brings instability to Live is the state of the system/OS itself.
Do you manage your files correctly like proper archiving (or defragmentation if you're using Windows)?
Do you use a system which runs an antivirus client? Or a dual boot OS setup to avoid such software?
Do you use pirated software like plugins that have their iLok protection method hacked? Or do you use free and/or purchased software only?
Many more of these things can be the cause of instability or an increase in stability.
That's interesting. A person with first hand knowledge of using cracked software providing pseudo-Tech' Support on the Ableton Forum. Is your own copy of Live fully licensed or ... ?
Opz wrote:
Coming back to the topic question:

The 8.3 update still didn't bring expandable drumracks in Arrangement View, which is possible in Session View. I really hate that limitation...
The 8.3 update still didn't bring Live the capability to properly display the names of my audio interface's audio channels like all other DAW do.
The 8.3 update still didn't bring the ability for midi mappings being saved in instrument (drumrack etc) templates.
The 8.3 update still didn't bring full native OSC support.
The 8.3 update still didn't bring a detachable mixer :)
Nope! You're still off topic. The question was how are you finding the new version (How is 8.3 so far?). Not what additional features you would like to see in it.

Verdict = fail.

Opz

Post by Opz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:10 am

That's interesting. A person with first hand knowledge of using cracked software providing pseudo-Tech' Support on the Ableton Forum. Is your own copy of Live fully licensed or ... ?
Yes, I own a regular license since v6, a suite License since v7 and a m4l license since v8.
And yes, at first prior to buying Live I used a cracked copy. Which failed on my miserably which was the reason I bought Live. So yes, I have knowledge of using cracked software and how it affects the system. Yes, I know how bad file management can slow a system down etc etc. I've all experienced it myself until the moment came I took action and resolved that.

And is for tech support, I'm just sharing my ideas. And I have discovered a rare bug (regarding Automator Workflows) in the past which Tech support didn't know about yet.

This stability issue which haunts the forum has never been a deal to me or any of my friends who maintain their system as they should. Keep your system tidy and 'internet free' as much as possible and you will end up with a more stable system. I do a fresh reinstall of the complete OS and all software etc every half to 3/4 of a year. Everytime Live upgrades a number (not on updates of course) I do a fresh reinstall. Still, every now and then something crappy happens, but overall it's a rock solid system.
Nope! You're still off topic. The question was how are you finding the new version (How is 8.3 so far?). Not what additional features you would like to see in it.
Verdict = fail.
No, you failed actually. He just asked 'How's 8.3 so far?'. I replied with no stability issue (which was asked/posted about) and that I'm still missing features which to me should have been there since v7. So 'How is it so far?': Well, no stability issues or strange behaviour up until now, but still basic functionality missing of which I hope that they will add that prior to me having to pay for the upgrade to v9 (of which I don't know if these features are implemented). Maybe they're not of any use to your workflow, but I really would like to see them add those I mentioned. So, so far I'm still missing them in 8.3...

The Philosopher King

Post by The Philosopher King » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:35 am

Opz wrote:Yes, I own a regular license since v6, a suite License since v7 and a m4l license since v8.
And yes, at first prior to buying Live I used a cracked copy. Which failed on my miserably which was the reason I bought Live. So yes, I have knowledge of using cracked software and how it affects the system. Yes, I know how bad file management can slow a system down etc etc. I've all experienced it myself until the moment came I took action and resolved that
Noted.

As for the rest of your ramblings ... TL;DR.

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:33 am

The Philosopher King wrote:Much the same as before. It crashes a lot despite the advertised, 'improved stability'.
Care to elaborate?
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

Opz

Post by Opz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:42 am

The Philosopher King wrote:Noted.
Good for you.
As for the rest of your ramblings ... TL;DR.
You're a sore loser.
What does TL;DR mean anyway? I'm no forum kiddy, I can't keep up with illiterate people like you...
Or is it some dumb forum BBC that's not working correctly?

That so called 'instability' is just your own doing.

garyboozy

Post by garyboozy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:35 am

Opz wrote: What does TL;DR mean anyway?
Tender loins; dry rub

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:10 pm

I have no problems with Live crashing other than the ones I expect, or create.
I use M4L a lot, some Reaktor stuff, Ms Pinky, and Bomes in the same Set with LOTS of FX, drum Routings, and External Instruments, and an instance of Guitar Rig.
Sometimes I will create a bad loop in Bomes and it will Crash Live, or maybe experience some strange M4L buggieness, or every once in a blue moon Live might crash because of something I was doing but I am not sure what.

Other than that Live has been fairly rock solid in the past year.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:47 pm

Opz, it stands for too long; didn't read.

Also,
That's interesting. A person with first hand knowledge of using cracked software providing pseudo-Tech' Support on the Ableton Forum ...
LOL -- This forum just keeps getting more cozy. I love how when someone simply suggests, among a myriad of other statements, that using pirated software will not be as stable as using proper versions -- he is automatically a wareznoob who buys plugins on eBay for $9.99.

Shadx, have you installed 8.3 yet, and have -you- seen anything funny yet? Everything has been running real smooth for me so far.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5