Question for producers!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
alex1fly

Question for producers!

Post by alex1fly » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:57 pm

As a producer, how do you act when you DJ? Do you stand back and let your work speak for itself? Do you find a few FX presets to tweak? Or are you constantly at the controls, matching loops and twisting knobs, looking for new stuff to bring in, etc.

Serious question, please no BS about "what you hate most about DJing"

Cymatic Kicks

Re: Question for producers!

Post by Cymatic Kicks » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:12 pm

First, I don't consider what I do to be DJing. I play live over my music, be it keys, percussion, or guitar. Beyond that, I do use FX to tweak sounds on the fly, and I usually have someone sit in with me, another guitar or saxophone.

I've been getting closer and closer to segueing my tracks live, and it'll be there sooner than later. I eventually want to get to the point where I can abandon the tracks and be in a state of complete improvisation. I have a drummer joining me soon, so if that works well, it'll be quite the step in that direction.

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:36 pm

Well I'm not that serious a producer or that great a performer, but when I'll played my stuff live, I've tried to give myself some work to do on stage. Otherwise what's the point?

You can take it to any level from slightly tweaking to making it completely different. If you're good enough/lucky enough that people will know you stuff, why not put a different spin on it. Eg strip out some fiddly bits and crank up the noise. Be bold, make big changes to the sound, make big movements yourself.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:23 pm

I've never been one of those DJs who feels he needs to be doing something every second I'm performing. If I want to be that busy, I just do a live set of my own material instead. That kind of performance requires me to be constantly adjusting and creating on the fly.

For me DJing has always been about finding really good tracks, and presenting them to people the best way possible.

My own personal preference is to not get into the whole cutting up and remixing other people's songs live thing, if I don't like the structure of a song, I don't buy it anyway. So generally I tend to be busier during transitions to make those as seemless and unique as possible, but during the meat of the song, I normally just let it play and enjoy listening to it myself.

Then again, I'm also one of those people who thinks DJs should be heard and not seen (i.e. put on a stage) too.

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:34 pm

icanseeclearlynowtherainhasgone wrote:i like to stand up there and pretend like turning a knob takes god damn talent by motioning my arms away from the knob like i just touched a hot stove.
You've got it backwards, you do this when you are so shit hot, you're worried about melting your equipment.

Anyway, I assume since this was aimed at producers "DJing" in this case meant playing your own stuff live. In which case, I'm all for a little theatrics. If the OP meant regular DJing, then I'm with Tarekith. Good music and just looking like you're enjoying the music is enough.

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:35 pm

i don't DJ, i just perform, and if ever i play someone else'S songs, it's a live remix

alex1fly

Post by alex1fly » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:20 pm

andydes wrote:
icanseeclearlynowtherainhasgone wrote:i like to stand up there and pretend like turning a knob takes god damn talent by motioning my arms away from the knob like i just touched a hot stove.

Anyway, I assume since this was aimed at producers "DJing" in this case meant playing your own stuff live. In which case, I'm all for a little theatrics. If the OP meant regular DJing, then I'm with Tarekith. Good music and just looking like you're enjoying the music is enough.
A little combo of both. Playing my own stuff live, but also enjoying the sh*t out of it.

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:55 am

do you guys have opportunities to play your original stuff live thats not in a dj setting? I can get gigs as a drummer playing music, but i've been wanting to do a set of my ableton music with my controllers. However, in my town my only chance would be to do it in a dj type environment with serato and turntables already set up. it would be awkward to come in with my gear and try to make room for my shit, especially since there's always like 3-4 djs a night using the same gear. so i dont even bother trying to do it live except for the occasional house party, or brining ableton live into a live band setting. i dunno, it just seems like there's really not a market for original electronic music.. maybe just my lame town.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:41 am

alex1fly

Post by alex1fly » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:56 am

bartend7 wrote:do you guys have opportunities to play your original stuff live thats not in a dj setting? I can get gigs as a drummer playing music, but i've been wanting to do a set of my ableton music with my controllers. However, in my town my only chance would be to do it in a dj type environment with serato and turntables already set up. it would be awkward to come in with my gear and try to make room for my shit, especially since there's always like 3-4 djs a night using the same gear. so i dont even bother trying to do it live except for the occasional house party, or brining ableton live into a live band setting. i dunno, it just seems like there's really not a market for original electronic music.. maybe just my lame town.
Couple things come to mind.

1, bring your own audio interface and plug into the mixer/house PA's available channel. Many interfaces have a Left and Right output, so simplify this by having your UTILITY plug-in set to 0% stereo width. That way you only have to plug in the left OR the right channel. Check your mixes beforehand to make sure you won't be losing any valuable audio (check your mixes in mono anyways!).

It's awkward to squeeze in there, but its not that bad. Just do it. Helps if you label your cables... and have EVERYTHING TURNED OFF when you plug into the board! Your channel's volume down, your master volume down, etc!

2, bring your own powered speakers and just plug your music into them, be independent of the house PA. You may be softer, but hey, you're not trying to be DJ Party Time, maybe people should hush up and just listen to your music :)

Whatever you do I highly recommend having an external audio interface. Plugging your laptop into a PA isn't very classy, your CPU's sound card isn't very high quality, and laptop headphone jacks can make embarrassing noises.

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:29 pm

alex1fly wrote:
bartend7 wrote:do you guys have opportunities to play your original stuff live thats not in a dj setting? I can get gigs as a drummer playing music, but i've been wanting to do a set of my ableton music with my controllers. However, in my town my only chance would be to do it in a dj type environment with serato and turntables already set up. it would be awkward to come in with my gear and try to make room for my shit, especially since there's always like 3-4 djs a night using the same gear. so i dont even bother trying to do it live except for the occasional house party, or brining ableton live into a live band setting. i dunno, it just seems like there's really not a market for original electronic music.. maybe just my lame town.
Couple things come to mind.

1, bring your own audio interface and plug into the mixer/house PA's available channel. Many interfaces have a Left and Right output, so simplify this by having your UTILITY plug-in set to 0% stereo width. That way you only have to plug in the left OR the right channel. Check your mixes beforehand to make sure you won't be losing any valuable audio (check your mixes in mono anyways!).

It's awkward to squeeze in there, but its not that bad. Just do it. Helps if you label your cables... and have EVERYTHING TURNED OFF when you plug into the board! Your channel's volume down, your master volume down, etc!

2, bring your own powered speakers and just plug your music into them, be independent of the house PA. You may be softer, but hey, you're not trying to be DJ Party Time, maybe people should hush up and just listen to your music :)

Whatever you do I highly recommend having an external audio interface. Plugging your laptop into a PA isn't very classy, your CPU's sound card isn't very high quality, and laptop headphone jacks can make embarrassing noises.

i have an audio interface. i guess my issue is more that i dont make techno or house so there is not really any place to play. its all about creating your own opportunities i guess.