Troubles installing Live 8.3 on Win7 x64

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
f.e

Troubles installing Live 8.3 on Win7 x64

Post by f.e » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:34 pm

Hello,

I'm having troubles installing Live 8.3 on Win7 x64. I haven't run Live since 8.2.2, but i never had any problems on Win7 x86 before...

When i install the latest Live, it always install itself oddly in C:\ProgramData, which is a thing i do not want, and last but not least, doesn't pu any shortcut on my desktop (weird).

When i try to install it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Ableton\Live 8.3, like i usually would do, it does like it's installing (progress bar and so on), but when it's finished, the folder vanished...

Wtf ?

mharris

Re: Troubles installing Live 8.3 on Win7 x64

Post by mharris » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:44 pm

I don't think the Live installer has ever put a shortcut on your desktop. The current 8.3 version certainly doesn't anyway..
The start menu item is no longer in a folder, it will be a single icon by itself near the top of your start menu > all programs. (this confused me for a bit)

The auto-update feature requires write permission to the folder that Live is installed in. Installing into Program Files causes this problems and that's why the default folder is now ProgramData. I really don't know why every other piece of software manages fine with the Program Files folder but ableton can't seem to manage it!

f.e

Post by f.e » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:52 pm

Sorry, i should have done a better search on the forum before :?

Is there a way to import my preferences from 8.2.2 ? Should i just copy the F:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 8.2.2\Preferences.cfg file from my previous computer ?

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:54 pm

boys, The abes have explained why program data.

In windows7
This is necessary due to access rights Live needs in order for the automatic update function to work properly.
Don't point ableton here, they're just adapting the thing for auto-update.

Sincerly, if you don't plan to use the auto-update feature, it couldn't hurt to install it in program files [why would we have the choice then?].
Personaly, I've chosen to let it install the new 8.3 in this new folder.
Just to keep my previous versions [8.2.2>8.2.8] where they are and overall not being confused later with new versions.

Last thing: with only 3 mouse clics, you could have find this so easily by yourself:

:arrow: http://www.ableton.com/articles/install ... ic-updates

just saying

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:01 pm

Honestly, it would have been better to keep things how they were and have Windows prompt the user whenever an update needed to be installed. If someone doesn't have admin permissions / the ability to allow an update they shouldn't be updating anything anyways :!:

Not to mention, doing what they did outside of a major release opens the door to all kinds of unnecessary confusion and potential issues. Personally ill work around it but I find it to be a poor decision on Abletons part.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:06 pm

+1 along with superfluous soundcloud addition
ImageImage

mharris

Post by mharris » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:44 pm

Hermanus wrote:boys, The abes have explained why program data.

In windows7
This is necessary due to access rights Live needs in order for the automatic update function to work properly.
Don't point ableton here, they're just adapting the thing for auto-update.
I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, just explaining the situation. But, I find it strange that every other piece of software on my PC with an auto-update feature seems to work just fine. Not sure why ableton need to be different.

I have also chosen to accept the new ProgramData default location. However, +1 on it being a poor decision by ableton.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Wasn't the Beta library new and unspoken of as well?
ImageImage

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:12 pm

f.e wrote:Sorry, i should have done a better search on the forum before :?

Is there a way to import my preferences from 8.2.2 ? Should i just copy the F:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 8.2.2\Preferences.cfg file from my previous computer ?
you can copy the config.