A way to "import" a custom template?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dankk

A way to "import" a custom template?

Post by Dankk » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:53 am

Too many times I have started writing something and have forgotten to "start" with my Maschine template that I have set up to suit my needs. I have done it once again and I am just wondering if there is any way to "merge" 2 projects together. Basically I have a pre-mapped template (an *.als file) that I would like to use if possible with my existing *.als file. If not, its a whole deal to recreate the drum mappings. any ideas?

All I really would like to do is import a previously saved file that has all the drum settings mapped into my current project without taking away anything from my current project (I.E. the template is on tracks and also grouped to allow for control over certain areas).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Opz

Re: A way to "import" a custom template?

Post by Opz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:08 am

You can browse, using the Live browser, towards that als file and import it. And you can even browse into it to import certain parts of the als file. I don't know if it will import mappings etc. I'm having a similar situation with a MPD32 template, but I haven't had the time to check for myself if it also imports mappings etc.

luddy

Post by luddy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:20 pm

AFAIK it is not possible to import keyboard and MIDI mappings. The best I've been able to come up with is to open the new template, drag all the stuff from the old project over, and save the template out as the new project. (ouch.)

-Luddy

Dankk

Post by Dankk » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:29 pm

I have been trying to figure out ways to "drag/merge" the work in progress over to another opened instance of ableton. Nothing has worked so far without it removing the template and just loading the project I am trying to drag/merge with the template. Any ideas on how to do that? Thx for the reply.

luddy

Post by luddy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:17 am

Well, the most straightforward way is to open the template, then find the original project in the browser, expand it (don't open it, that will close the template), and drag selected tracks from the original into the template. Sometimes to make this process easier, I first open the original project and export selected stuff like MIDI clips and consolidated audio into the browser as .mid or .wav, and drag that onto tracks in the template instead.

Yet another thing you can do is simply open the template first, then drag the entire original project into it (in arrangement view). You'll then have both sets of tracks and can merge them by taste. I usually set the tempo of the template to the tempo of the project being dragged in to avoid nasty bar / warping problems on import.

hth,

-Luddy

Dankk

Post by Dankk » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:04 am

Great solutions... I was able to successfully integrate the project with the template. Many thanks luddy! One thing I did notice is that it didn't copy over the returns when I dragged the tracks over. Is there any way to get those? Totally not a deal-breaker if I cant. A lot of trouble and time has been saved. Thanks again. :)

~D

[edit] - Fixed: I simply loaded the project I wanted to merge with the template first, and then added the template 2nd and everything is synched and loaded. No need to go to any more trouble for me. I just need to be sure to start with the template first next time, or not, because not I know how to merge them. thanks!