Continue to clip end point after clip stop?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
icedsushi

Continue to clip end point after clip stop?

Post by icedsushi » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:50 pm

I'd like the last cycle of a loop to continue to the end point of the clip (note release into next measure reverb tails, etc).

It can be done in arrangement view easily of course, but is there a way to do it in session view when the stop button is pressed? So far, the only way I've figured out is to assign the clip loop button to a midi controller & turn off looping during the last loop cycle.

Muzik 4 Machines

Re: Continue to clip end point after clip stop?

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:03 pm

isn't that what remove stop buttons is about?

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Nope, removing the stop button is to keep a clip on that track to continue looping while you launch the next scene, instead of stopping it.

If your clip is looping and you press the stop button at the bottom of the track, the clip stops at the end of the loop. I want the clip to stop at the end marker when I press the stop button.

I think the end marker only does something when loop is turned off. It would be great if it also served a purpose (such as this) while loop is turned on.

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:10 am

ok
my workaround has been to place the segment of audio between the loop end and the end marker in a new audio file that i start with the next songs/scene, works only for pre prepared sets tho, unless you want to copy the clip in the new improvised scene, which i decided not to do cause it's too much of a PITA to do live

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:32 am

Yeah I just thought of that one too, the second clip could just be the same clip but with loop turned off, which works a little better than timing just right the triggering of just the last segment. I guess that's the only way to do it in session view.

I always thought it would be logical to have the end point always be where the clip ends, but that isn't the case with loop turned on. Would be better if it worked that way. You could always have the option to set the loop end & end point at the same position to get it to behave the same way it does now.
Last edited by icedsushi on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:06 am

there should be an option to do that, maybe with a time/note value, like a release on a sample

iGoAHH

Post by iGoAHH » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:18 pm

I wish this functionality, too. Please!
I am too lazy, to prepare every clip 2 times just for the "release-parts" and I'm afraid, I would get confused while playing such a scene live (I like playing improvised sets).
Just make an option, that doesn't immediately stop the playing, but let the clip run over the loop-end point until it reaches the clip-end point.