i want Ableton to recognize MP3's !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Mysterious Flying Pum

Stop MP3 questions !

Post by The Mysterious Flying Pum » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:04 pm

If you search the forum, you could find the reply from Robert Henke about MP3 so please stop forum threads about MP3.

"Good morning.

We did allready spend some serious work on this and the original
idea was to get it done till Live4. As you did see when looking
at the featurelist, it is not in there. It turned out to be more
difficul then we initialy thought. It is not so much about the decoding
itself but by the fact that since in Live you can access all files
at anytime and decoding 16 tracks of mp3 in realtime is not an
option you would need to temporarily decode some of the files in the
background, store them as temporary uncompressed files on the harddrive and things like this......
You want to use mp3 and we want it too.
If we find a good solution for the technical details it will be in some day.

Robert"
13" MacBook - 1Gb RAM/OSX10.4 - Live 6

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:46 pm

I personally think it's sad that technology gets better and better so the sound quality is really wonderful today, but those who promote and sell material force consumers and the dance audience to listen to sub-optimal quality in music (just to save disk space or something similar sillly, especially when disk space is so cheap today). Oh well. --Kent

drumroll57

Post by drumroll57 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:06 pm

kent_sandvik wrote:I personally think it's sad that technology gets better and better so the sound quality is really wonderful today, but those who promote and sell material force consumers and the dance audience to listen to sub-optimal quality in music (just to save disk space or something similar sillly, especially when disk space is so cheap today). Oh well. --Kent
That was my point all along. Lowest-common-denominator.

Culture of mediocrity and bad sound.

D.
stay groovy!

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:12 pm

In a typical ummmffff.... ummmffff... ummmffff 130 dB smoky club, MP3s are probably adequate.

And maybe nobody can tell the difference between a well-encoded 320bps MP3 and a 24-bit AIFF/WAV.

But it doesn't really matter. Let's get on to a more useful topic here. This one's been flogged to death.

drumroll57

Post by drumroll57 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:20 pm

hambone1 wrote:In a typical ummmffff.... ummmffff... ummmffff 130 dB smoky club, MP3s are probably adequate.

And maybe nobody can tell the difference between a well-encoded 320bps MP3 and a 24-bit AIFF/WAV.

But it doesn't really matter. Let's get on to a more useful topic here. This one's been flogged to death.
So sorry but many people definitely can tell, and do care.

BTW, there are many clubs that are not smoky either. LOL!

D.
stay groovy!

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:28 pm

My parents always taught me that "People who say "Iwant" quite frankly ....don't get" .
In this case what YOU want is ridiculous.
What pro-level app uses MP3 as it's main playback and datafile source ?
I personally hate MP3ing anything I write because the compression format sounds like shit to my ears (always has).
Why the hell you'd want it in LIVE is beyond me.
I for one feel there are enough features in Live for DJ types to use.
I didn't buy LIVE for it's amazing DJ like properties.
I bought it because of it's creative workflow.
We aren't all DJ's and quite frankly if Live developed a swag of DJ based requested features I'd stick with 4.1.1 as is and not update it again.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

dj_statikfire

Post by dj_statikfire » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:09 pm

yeah yeah yeah

my concern was that i'd like to carry as little as possible when doing a gig, i set up my ableton as a database of audio for DJing, not so much for writing new music

Thanks people!

Jason D

Trat

Post by Trat » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:58 pm

When live supports mp3 i'll buy it... And there should be a program that does all your editting so you can batch your tracks and it calculates their bpm and all that sync-stuff. To much work...

dCross

Post by dCross » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:16 pm

Trat wrote:When live supports mp3 i'll buy it... And there should be a program that does all your editting so you can batch your tracks and it calculates their bpm and all that sync-stuff. To much work...
there's a great program out there for DJing with mp3s - it's called Traktor

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:55 pm

Trat wrote:When live supports mp3 i'll buy it... And there should be a program that does all your editting so you can batch your tracks and it calculates their bpm and all that sync-stuff. To much work...
you are too lazy, thats the problem.

drumroll57

Post by drumroll57 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:11 pm

dj_statikfire wrote:yeah yeah yeah

my concern was that i'd like to carry as little as possible when doing a gig, i set up my ableton as a database of audio for DJing, not so much for writing new music

Thanks people!

Jason D
There are many laptops which have a second hot-swappable slot for an extra but internal Hard Drive. (for example, my Dell Latitude holds up to 80 Gig 7200 RPM when using it instead of the DVD drive) That way you can flee from your gig with gear under your arm at a moment's notice.

Forgive me for saying it again, but it appears very sad that someone would be so much more concerned about matters of personal convenience rather than providing their audience with great sound. Then again, it may be a question of who mentored that person, and perhaps they NEVER heard great sound....

Again: mediocrity begets mediocrity.

D.
stay groovy!

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:47 pm

drumroll57 wrote: it appears very sad that someone would be so much more concerned about matters of personal convenience rather than providing their audience with great sound.
thats what it all boils down to and i could not have said it better myself.

this whole MP3 thing has shown the true colors of so many so called "DJs". Selfishness must be a disease.

krusty

Post by krusty » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:32 am

Yeah I DEMAND that Ableton make Live mp3 compatable. I also DEMAND that they start shipping boxed versions of Live with white Apple earbuds so I can master my mp3 mixes to prefection.

Then and ONLY then will I buy Live

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:58 am

AdamJay wrote:
you are too lazy, thats the problem.
Heh. Too true. Wonder what these guys would do if all they had was a Atari and an S1000?

-Paws

Celtic

Post by Celtic » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:04 pm

FaX-01 wrote:My parents always taught me that "People who say "Iwant" quite frankly ....don't get" .
In this case what YOU want is ridiculous.
What pro-level app uses MP3 as it's main playback and datafile source ?
I personally hate MP3ing anything I write because the compression format sounds like shit to my ears (always has).
Why the hell you'd want it in LIVE is beyond me.
I for one feel there are enough features in Live for DJ types to use.
I didn't buy LIVE for it's amazing DJ like properties.
I bought it because of it's creative workflow.
We aren't all DJ's and quite frankly if Live developed a swag of DJ based requested features I'd stick with 4.1.1 as is and not update it again.
So you think Live should be made to suit you coz you're more important than anyone else ?