Automation = CPU bottleneck?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ze2be

Automation = CPU bottleneck?

Post by ze2be » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Ram has long been my system bottleneck nr.1
We are currently in the prosess of mixing down a load of projects. Trying to rellease more computer resorces to get more headroom, we discovered something interesting: At the end we were down to almost all tracks in 24/44.1 audio, and only using native plugs: eq8, compressor, limiter, autopan and utility on each track of the arround 60 tracks. Drums are kept in simplers in 3 drum racks. The rest is audio. (its jams of 7 electro musichians, hence the track count) With an intel q6600 quad core 2.4, and 7200rpm disks. Still it hits the wall, and audio glitches!

We came down to the conclution that it likely was automation. My studio buddy says its a typical bottleneck at his home studio. Well, we run constant automation on all tracks, sometimes as much as 3 lanes. (gate, filter/eq8, volume, simpler decay and velocity) We cant really render most of those, because we are still using them in the mixing prosess..

Am I out on the wild here, or is this something we have to deal with?

We have tried adjusting latency settings and all that. (Win XP/Motu Ultralight)

Prob lots o typos, but im at this forum on an iphone for crists! :D

3dot...

Re: Automation = CPU bottleneck?

Post by 3dot... » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:38 am

I don't think automation...should cause this..
more probable that it's a lot of audio files...playing together..

try and hit the 'ram' button on some audio clips and see if it helps...

d-track

Post by d-track » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:00 pm

lots of automation may cause heavy loads. rendering a track with automations can take much longer while the track count(without automation) doesn't really matter

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:20 pm

d-track wrote:lots of automation may cause heavy loads. rendering a track with automations can take much longer while the track count(without automation) doesn't really matter
I cant see what else it could be really. 3dot: thanks, I will try that. Still, were also pushing Lives 32bit os ram limit, so its a fine balance to get the wheels turning on these projects.