What's your favorite hardware synth?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Theo Void

Re: What's your favorite hardware synth?

Post by Theo Void » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:46 am

Well, we all know the obvious choices if we all had un-limited amounts of cash. But since I'm a broke ass white kid from Pittsburgh I love my Roland GAIA....

taffmonster

Post by taffmonster » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:48 am

Theo Void wrote:Well, we all know the obvious choices if we all had un-limited amounts of cash. But since I'm a broke ass white kid from Pittsburgh I love my Roland GAIA....
Gaia looks lovely. Found a nord lead 2 on yahoo auction for very little money. Gonna try and see if I can get that.

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:53 am

microKorg
Kaossilator
That's all I have so its all I know
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:59 am

Ya I got my GAIA super cheap. $350

filosofem

Post by filosofem » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:51 am

Theo Void wrote:I'm a broke ass white kid from Pittsburgh I love my Roland GAIA.
That Roland SH-01 a.k.a. GAIA is a dark horse. The feature set for the buck you pay is favorably balanced towards the buyer. I love taking it camping, sitting on some hill side in the sun, it's an atmosphere ripe for programming. GAIA is no mare cheap digital rip off, on the contrary, your imagination is the only limitation.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:39 am

Minibrute is set to be list price 60,000 yen-ish so maybe a tad less if you shop around. I'd suggest that over a nord-if your bothering with hardware why not go analog and get the audio-in processing etc to boot?
Also keep all the box etc from the MB and if you want to sell in Japan you'll prob get most of your money back.
If you really have to do it, check nord finishing prices in Japan on aucfan.com

taffmonster

Post by taffmonster » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:40 am

Theo Void wrote:Ya I got my GAIA super cheap. $350
That's hella cheap. Cheapest ive seen it is 69,000 yen that's a out 800 dollars... I think

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:01 am

taffmonster wrote:
That's hella cheap. Cheapest ive seen it is 69,000 yen that's a out 800 dollars... I think
Ya, they;re $699.00 new. I got mine off a dude who had his for like 3 months, maybe played it 5 times then started a business and lost interest. He wanted $400 but i somehow talked him down to $350. I t was a great day

taffmonster

Post by taffmonster » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:37 am

Theo Void wrote:
taffmonster wrote:
Ya, they;re $699.00 new. I got mine off a dude who had his for like 3 months, maybe played it 5 times then started a business and lost interest. He wanted $400 but i somehow talked him down to $350. I t was a great day
Nice one. Thats a steal. I'm torn between the lead 2 auction and a mopho

Goddard

Post by Goddard » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:22 am

S1mkII by Cwejman... Swedish as Clavia, but much more analogue...
Otherwise sell your old lady and get the Buchla ;)
Greetings.
"Machines are the weapon employed by the capitalists to quell the revolt of specialized labor" Karl Marx

taffmonster

Post by taffmonster » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:41 am

muthafunka wrote:Minibrute is set to be list price 60,000 yen-ish so maybe a tad less if you shop around. I'd suggest that over a nord-if your bothering with hardware why not go analog and get the audio-in processing etc to boot?
Also keep all the box etc from the MB and if you want to sell in Japan you'll prob get most of your money back.
That's why I was considering the mopho as its pretty damn cheap only 41,000 but I was thinking the nord auction seems more like a one off cheap deal. Kinda hard to miss really

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:12 am

Phatty!

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:29 am

My two main synths are a DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard and a Waldorf Microwave XT. I've also got a TX81Z (that I only ever use two sounds from), a Poly 800, and a Kurzweil K2000R.

If I had to pick only one it'd probably be the MW because it can play more than one note at a time (which I think is gonna be a really popular feature on synths in 2013 and beyond; you heard it here first!) and up to eight parts at a time = you could do entire tracks with one if you're careful. But even after two years the Evolver still makes my heart skip a beat when I turn it on. I love that thing. It sounds a little more alive and a lot dirtier than the MW can. It also looks great with the knobs and the blue and the flashy flashy and the leads everywhere. (HoOYYvinmoyvin!)

Edit - a picture for you:

Last edited by noisetonepause on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

taffmonster

Post by taffmonster » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:46 am

muthafunka wrote:Minibrute is set to be list price 60,000 yen-ish so maybe a tad less if you shop around. I'd suggest that over a nord-if your bothering with hardware why not go analog and get the audio-in processing etc to boot?
Also thanks for the aucfan link. I was using kakaku.com.
Saves me a trip to ochanomizu

tigali

Post by tigali » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:50 am

filosofem wrote: You say you have MIDI to CV converter, what type? MP-201?

Regards.
Doepfer MCV4, works a treat.