macbook & external display

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JMFOne

macbook & external display

Post by JMFOne » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:36 pm

I am trying to see if I can get my macbook (2009 2.13 core 2 duo version) working with an external monitor. I have read that my macbook model (ie one that contains Nvidea GPU) is not supported with external displays. If this is right, what is the point of my mini dvi port?

Does anyone know a workaround? Btw I bought a mini dvi to vga adapter and the image worked but it looks like a gameboy.
15" Apple Macbook Pro, mid 2012, 2.6GHz 8GB RAM 750GB HD, Ableton Live 9.2, Virus TI Polar

supamonsta

Re: macbook & external display

Post by supamonsta » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:28 pm

it just works :)

know your external display's resolution,

go to your mac's system preferences, monitors, and choose the right resolution and display position for the external display,

and you're OK

cheers

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:02 am

:mrgreen:

taffmonster

Post by taffmonster » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:06 am

actually does anyone know if i can use my macbook and iMac as dual monitors, either from the iMac or from the macbook, either or is good.

Earwax69

Post by Earwax69 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:10 am

Yeah, piss me off that the minidiplay to Dual-DVI adapter, which is 130$, is not working with my 30inch Dell. Dual DVI is Dual DVI... any dual-dvi cables will work but no, not Apple. They want you to trash your screen and get an overpriced cinema display.

It just fu**ing work! :(

artworks

Post by artworks » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:33 am

A further issue is getting a monitor with a usable picture - picture quality is very variable. To save others some of the trial and error that I experienced, have a look at the Samsung LED S24A350H. I eventually got this 24incher with an additional VGA D-sub to Mini-dvi connector (the alternative digital HDMI to Mini-dvi lead showing no obvious benefit). This monitor is a joy to use, Excellent picture calibration software, very sharp, accurate colour, much more real estate than my late 2008 15inch Macbook Pro. At about £200 or less in the U.K.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owner ... 4A350HS/ZA

JMFOne

Post by JMFOne » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:58 am

Lads just a heads up-I got it working late last night. The adapter I bought was only £5 and was an official product so I thought it couldn't be that. It was. Basically if you are having variance with colour of flickering it might be the connection. I tried pushing it in further and the colour just seemed to switch on. Strange as there is a noticeable click when you insert the adapter which felt like it meant the adapter was properly inserted.

Yes you can use pretty much any mac/MacBook combo for dual monitors. Use the second monitor as extra real estate or to replace the small laptop screen. Apparently there is a closed lid mode aswell
15" Apple Macbook Pro, mid 2012, 2.6GHz 8GB RAM 750GB HD, Ableton Live 9.2, Virus TI Polar

mja

Post by mja » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:07 pm

I've never been able to get mine working...

I have a two year old macbook pro and a brand new samsung tv....still no joy though...

Tried it on a dell monitor too, same story :cry:

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:47 pm

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro and I use the official external display adapter.

It works pretty well, but not with quite the polish that I'm used to from OSX. I swear the connection is spotty, as if the contacts were dirty, but I bought the laptop and the connector at around the same time so I imagine there hasn't been any grime in there. That, it occasionally gets confused about whether it wants to sleep or not when you disconnect the external monitor with the case clamshelled closed. :)

mja

Post by mja » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:00 pm

I bought my adapter from the apple store too...

I heard there maybe some firmware issue with the samsung tv's in general...they don't work too good with macs..

Anybody here using samsung..???