mac vs. pc BOTTOM LINE WHO'S FASTER for Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

pax

Post by pax » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:54 pm

PC.

until it gets spyware. Hopefully by then though, you can buy a newer, even faster one.

rictheobscene

My running away from this topic is even faster.

Post by rictheobscene » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:09 pm

One day, platform wars will be seen with the same nostalgic bliss as the Cold War.
With Regards:

Ric (the) Obscene
http://www.ghettoanalogue.com

andydes

Post by andydes » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:22 pm

Are you kidding? We had the Commodor / Spectrum argument, the Amega / ST debate. In 500 years time, people will be arguing wheather it's better to interface with computers through the power of thought or plug it straight up your arse.

God we're a load of sarky bastards.

I use a PC for the "studio" and an apple laptop. I don't think there's much in it. Would have gone all apple, but needed the PC for my real work. Plus it was filthy cheap.

I guess it just depends on what platform you're most comfortable with using.

andydes

Post by andydes » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:35 pm

I'm sorry, did you say equal prosessing speed?

Yes, Macs are more efficient. I don't know the exact figures, something like a 1.8GHz G5 being roughly equivalent to a 3GHz Pentium 4. But don't quote me on that. There are lots of different chip variations (especially on the PC side- FSB speed, cache etc.) and type or RAM, motherboard etc are just as important.

You'll probably get a faster PC for less cash. However the really cheap ones may be more hassle than they're worth. The advantage with Macs is you'll always know exactly what you're getting. And they look pretty.

Jalope

Post by Jalope » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:17 pm

andydes wrote: The advantage with Macs is you'll always know exactly what you're getting. And they look pretty.
As a mac user, I disagree..., even with the pretty bit, my G5 is ugly as f***
G5 1.8| 1GB | x.3. whatever
Logic 7 Pro | Reason| Kontakt| Live

gomi

Post by gomi » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:32 pm

toneroll wrote:why dont you search ?
check out adamjays performance test..
i can run live, and amplitube with reatltme guitar processing. so far i haven't
gone above 60%cpu.. this is with the latency set to 5ms using built in audio.... input
and output...

on a 1.5Ghz 12' powerbook running 10.3.8

oh an i can even rewire reason in and run tracks with 600+ samples... no problem.

toneroll

Post by toneroll » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:38 pm

good for you mate.
there used to be a well cheesy "sig." here

gomi

Post by gomi » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:39 pm

toneroll wrote:good for you mate.
i was pretty surprised to tell you the truth.
i wasn't expecting that kind of performance.

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:53 am

[quote="andydes"]I'm sorry, did you say equal prosessing speed?

Yes, Macs are more efficient. I don't know the exact figures, something like a 1.8GHz G5 being roughly equivalent to a 3GHz Pentium 4. But don't quote me on that. There are lots of different chip variations (especially on the PC side- FSB speed, cache etc.) and type or RAM, motherboard etc are just as important.

quote]

I wouldn't want to quote you on that either .... considering the Live 4 performance test put my 3.2ghz HT laptop (when using LIVE) at exactly the same CPU efficiency as a Dual 2ghz g5 .
Now that only applied to Live but I would have said a 1.8ghz Dothan was easily the equivalent of 3ghz P4.
There isn't much difference between a 1.67ghz G4 and a 1.6ghz single Proc G5 at the moment which has suprised me considering the FSB difference.
That said if anyone wishes to kndly donate a Dual G5 2.5ghz Tower with widescreen monitor my way please do PM me .
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

dj_morphunk

Post by dj_morphunk » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:08 am

im a simple guy,,ill give a simple answer, also let it be known i dont know a damn thing about computers to save my ass but.

i had a laptop, winxp, 512 ram, and it constantly froze, glitched, or had driver conflicts all the time,,,,and i also found out about the DO NOT hot plug a firewire from m-audio too late........so i did my own simple research,
went to an apple store,,,,,bought a brand new imac g5, had them boost the ram to 786, and it came with the new 1.8 gig whatever it is.......

and ive never had any problems ever again.........yes the mac might be slightly slower on loading/rendering.......ableton usuage however is slightly faster, but it is stable as a rock, and my firewire m-audio 1814 loves the thing............best investment i ever made to my small studio.......the new osx10 i heard is real nice, so far im a believer,,,,,,and the new core audio sound in panther, is a professional 24bit/192 soundcard....from the factory......

like i said,i dont know all the numbers and who-dads.........i just wanted a computer that was reliable,,,,and so far...
my mac kicks any pc's ass ive ever owned.......im more productive than ive ever been

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:52 am

dj_morphunk wrote:im a simple guy,,ill give a simple answer, also let it be known i dont know a damn thing about computers to save my ass but.

i had a laptop, winxp, 512 ram, and it constantly froze, glitched, or had driver conflicts all the time,,,,and i also found out about the DO NOT hot plug a firewire from m-audio too late........so i did my own simple research,
went to an apple store,,,,,bought a brand new imac g5, had them boost the ram to 786, and it came with the new 1.8 gig whatever it is.......

and ive never had any problems ever again.........yes the mac might be slightly slower on loading/rendering.......ableton usuage however is slightly faster, but it is stable as a rock, and my firewire m-audio 1814 loves the thing............best investment i ever made to my small studio.......the new osx10 i heard is real nice, so far im a believer,,,,,,and the new core audio sound in panther, is a professional 24bit/192 soundcard....from the factory......

like i said,i dont know all the numbers and who-dads.........i just wanted a computer that was reliable,,,,and so far...
my mac kicks any pc's ass ive ever owned.......im more productive than ive ever been

.................................... end of meme class 101 :D .
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:45 am

drush wrote:i took a very well appointed PC laptop and a carefully optimized G4 powerbook, both with lots of RAM and fast internal drives, up to the edge of a cliff near my house last night.

i'll be damned if they didn't both hit the water at exactly the same time.
:lol: :lol: :lol: that's a real good one! :lol:

But I suspect the Powerbook hit the water later because PC laptops are bulkier, weigh more and therefore fall faster! :lol: :lol:

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:44 am

FORMAT wrote:
drush wrote:i took a very well appointed PC laptop and a carefully optimized G4 powerbook, both with lots of RAM and fast internal drives, up to the edge of a cliff near my house last night.

But I suspect the Powerbook hit the water later because PC laptops are bulkier, weigh more and therefore fall faster! :lol: :lol:

............hmmmm someone failed physics class 101 :roll:

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:15 pm

FaX-01 wrote:
FORMAT wrote:

............hmmmm someone failed physics class 101 :roll:
why?