Another laptop thread - Opinions on Lenovo laptops?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rotter3

Re: Another laptop thread - Opinions on Lenovo laptops?

Post by Rotter3 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:48 pm

I have a 2 year old W510. No issues everbut you need to do the usual operating system tweaks for audio and disable wifi when you are working with audio.

I have DJ'd with it and used it for production and it has never barfed

estevan carlos benson

Post by estevan carlos benson » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:49 pm

Rotter3 wrote:I have a 2 year old W510. No issues everbut you need to do the usual operating system tweaks for audio and disable wifi when you are working with audio.

I have DJ'd with it and used it for production and it has never barfed
I've been working on an old MacBook for production with Ableton. So I'm not familiar with the Windows and PC tweaks necessary. Off the top of your head, can you tell me more? What OS tweaks have you made?
Live 9 Suite | M4L | MacBook Pro Quadcore 16gb ram | APC40
estevancarlos.com | The Handsomest Drowned Man

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:30 pm

estevan carlos benson wrote:
Rotter3 wrote: What OS tweaks have you made?
Optimising your PC for audio on Windows 7
http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/ ... hp?id=1071

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:23 pm

I have a Lenovo X200 that I bought in early 2009. I honestly hope I never have to replace it. It feels incredibly sturdy, is a nice size to carry everywhere, it looks nice, runs smoothly, it's easy to find and replace parts if something breaks. The keyboard is great and I prefer the trackpoint to any trackpad... I like the noise it makes when you close it. Sounds like it's going to stay shut... Probably the best 900 quid I ever spent.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Changers

Post by Changers » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:15 pm

I recently bought a thinkpad t510 and it was the biggest waste of money I have ever spent. It was W7 64 bit, 6 gig of RAM with an Intel i7 and it couldn't even play the ableton demo song without glitching and slowing down. It has massive DCP latency, check out the forums

https://www.google.co.nz/search?sourcei ... 93dde30a36

Even with all the usual tweaks (disabling wifi e.t.c..) it still didn't work. It couldn't even handle general audio streaming let alone audio software.

Its been 3 weeks since I've been in contact with Lenovo about returning the thing and am still trying. The customer service team basically lie and dont do what they say they are going to do. I found out that there was a weeks delay in proceedings because they had my details incorrect even though I gave them each time I called and they had them from my original online order.

Sorry to sound bitter but do some homework before buying and dont make the same mistake I did

Cheers

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:10 am

^ you were already mentioned on page 1, except that in the thread you started (linked above and below) you said the model was a 520. maybe you downloaded some slightly incompatible drivers :idea:
UltimateOutsider wrote:Here's the thread about the Lenovo issue. His specific model was the T520. There's simply not enough info to tell whether the laptop itself was really the problem.

Changers

Post by Changers » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:06 am

Hi, sorry about that it is indeed a t520, slip of the fingers there. I downloaded multiple different versions of drivers from the Lenovo site and none of them changed a thing. In the link I posted you can see that I wasn't the only one with the same problem. I also spoke to 3 Lenovo technicians who went through various checks and when I directed them to the threads on their site re this problem, he referred me to the customer care dept for a refund. I would have been happy with a BIOS that worked as I liked the build of the computer, it looked really sturdy, but it seems that Lenovo are just not listening to their customer feedback and resolving the issue.

Cheers

Earwax69

Post by Earwax69 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:04 am

Why not check SONY VAIO laptops?

estevan carlos benson

Post by estevan carlos benson » Thu May 03, 2012 3:03 pm

Changers wrote:I recently bought a thinkpad t510 and it was the biggest waste of money I have ever spent. It was W7 64 bit, 6 gig of RAM with an Intel i7 and it couldn't even play the ableton demo song without glitching and slowing down. It has massive DCP latency, check out the forums

https://www.google.co.nz/search?sourcei ... 93dde30a36

Even with all the usual tweaks (disabling wifi e.t.c..) it still didn't work. It couldn't even handle general audio streaming let alone audio software.

Its been 3 weeks since I've been in contact with Lenovo about returning the thing and am still trying. The customer service team basically lie and dont do what they say they are going to do. I found out that there was a weeks delay in proceedings because they had my details incorrect even though I gave them each time I called and they had them from my original online order.

Sorry to sound bitter but do some homework before buying and dont make the same mistake I did

Cheers
What does DCP stand for?
Live 9 Suite | M4L | MacBook Pro Quadcore 16gb ram | APC40
estevancarlos.com | The Handsomest Drowned Man

UltimateOutsider

Post by UltimateOutsider » Thu May 03, 2012 4:33 pm

estevan carlos benson wrote:What does DCP stand for?
He meant DPC, Deferred Procedure Calls, as described on the DPC Latency Checker page.