Another reason why Ableton is NOT a pro DAW

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ollyb303

Re: Another reason why Ableton is NOT a pro DAW

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:24 am

Damn, in all the music I've written, released and sold (pretty much entirely created in Live) I've never even felt the need for online spectral repair OR bezier curves... I better start contacting people to give them their money back.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

hmj

Post by hmj » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:33 am

It's just a matter of what's important to you and your workflow, that's it. If this Ableton doesn't support it and you don't use it then you don't have a problem.

I'm pointing out a feature, like many other pro grade missing features (no eucon support, non sample accurate waveforms in the arrange view, limited bus soloing) that are missing and prevent Live from being used in certain situations. Some which are key for major post houses and editing studios.

Someone pointing out a missing feature is not a diss on how you use your DAW. There's no need to justify Ableton, we all know it's great but to sit here and pretend like it's not missing some important features is just denial.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:31 am

hmj wrote:It's just a matter of what's important to you and your workflow, that's it. If this Ableton doesn't support it and you don't use it then you don't have a problem.

I'm pointing out a feature, like many other pro grade missing features (no eucon support, non sample accurate waveforms in the arrange view, limited bus soloing) that are missing and prevent Live from being used in certain situations. Some which are key for major post houses and editing studios.

Someone pointing out a missing feature is not a diss on how you use your DAW. There's no need to justify Ableton, we all know it's great but to sit here and pretend like it's not missing some important features is just denial.
+1

This should have been your opening comment. I totally agree with the above statement.

BTW, I was totally taking the piss with the Bezier Curves comment. (even though it would be nice ) I thought it was pretty obvious...but I didn't use the :roll:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:50 am

You know what else is missing?

BNC outputs!
More proof that Live isn't a digibeta

Frankly I'm shocked and appalled

luddy

Post by luddy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:41 pm

I didn't read through all the posts (riveting though they were), but I just wanted to point out that the only so-called "offline" plug-ins I've run into are very dicey under any host. They store audio behind the scenes, so they create an additional and hidden file dependence to a project. In the case of Live those hidden files escape the purview of the File manager, which would lead to a disaster if they're stored in the wrong place and you consolidate a project. The bigger problem though is that it's really easy for the behind-the-scenes audio to get out of date with the audio clips that are on the track itself. Plug-in interfaces (AU etc.) are not in any way designed to guarantee this kind of sync (that is, notify the plug what audio has changed or been re-recorded or whatever on the track).

Long story short, it's a terrible interface because it tries to use a real-time, streaming plug-in interface as a file editor interface, when they're completely different things. Melodyne plug-in is a common case. It's 10x more hassle to use that plug-in than, say, a plug-in eq or comp. And it's very easy for the tuned files to become lost or disconnected or stale or what have you.

This is all by way of saying that the thing that's not 'pro' here is to use a file editor as a streaming plug-in. If you want to program spectral correction in a plug-in, then do it the way you do eq or limiting in a plug-in: on the fly, as the audio goes by. If you can't, then, well, you shouldn't be doing it as a plug-in.

IMO.

-Luddy

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:24 pm

HAI GAIS
I just started beta testing Live 9 and wanted to give you guys some insight on what makes ABLETON > BITWIG EVERY DAY OF THE LEAP YEAR.
Tone Deft wrote:other DAWs jerk your gerkin for you, why does Ableton make me do ALL the gerkin jerkin work?
This feature is now part of Live 9.
H20nly wrote:so i was on the forum and read that Live makes you amazing if you hold the alt key. i held the alt key for 6 hours and i am still not that amazing. is this a bug?
BUG SQUASHED. This will never be a problem again, the devs have promised me. I held ALT key all day last week and now am Beatport #1 (did I mentioned my real name is NARI & MILANI? And also Porter Robinson. It's a side project.)
luddy wrote:It's 10x more hassle to use that plug-in
Ableton has fixed this in Live 9 so all plugins are 10x more hassle. It makes you a better pro when it's harder for noobs to use plugins.

Haz a nice dai :)
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

OzWozEre

Post by OzWozEre » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:21 am

^ are you YeahDubz? 8O
Macbook Pro (2.5 Dual, 4gb) / 30" Cinema Display (I don't give a fuck about no multi-monitor support)