Samplerate and bitdepth

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
tmjorud

Samplerate and bitdepth

Post by tmjorud » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi!

This might be a dumb question, but here goes :)

I use a lot of the Vengeance samples, and they are all pretty much recorded in 44.1K / 16bit. Since I've configured Ableton to record and export in 48K / 24bit, do I have to consider converting the vengeance samples to the same format, does i make any difference, or should I just let them be as they are?

Cowlash

Re: Samplerate and bitdepth

Post by Cowlash » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:49 pm

If you set Ableton to run at 24bit and you run files other than 24bit, the computer will have to convert the files to 24bit in real time. This is not a lot, but it all adds up. Its better to have them ALL at 24bit before you start.

tmjorud

Post by tmjorud » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:49 pm

Cowlash wrote:If you set Ableton to run at 24bit and you run files other than 24bit, the computer will have to convert the files to 24bit in real time. This is not a lot, but it all adds up. Its better to have them ALL at 24bit before you start.
Thanks for the advice. I also asked Vengeance by mail about their opinion, and they answered that the bit depth didn't matter that much, but they adviced me to change my host to 44.1K instead of 48K.

luddy

Post by luddy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:02 pm

Right, the expensive conversion (and the only one that matters in this case) is going from one sample rate to another. 16 bits to 24 doesn't entail any real conversion, the 16 bits are simply inserted into a 24 bit field, maybe with some dither but in practice, with no dither.

All that said, I use 44.1KHz samples all the time in 48KHz projects. When you repitch a sample (if you do that), then you're asking the sampler to do sample rate conversion, in effect, anyway. I tend to think that it doesn't make a very big difference and you should record at the sample rate that you like to record at.

-Luddy

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:09 pm

honestly, if you have to ask, it doesn't matter. it's a matter of knowing there can be a problem over there is a problem. the problem is very very low in the mix.

with Live, options-preferences-audio make sure High Quality is on for the SRC and pitch conversion settings.

with this topic the one thing I don't do is change the sample rate in Live. that way over time my sets are all the same sample rate and everything gets homogenized. IOW what I don't do is some work with some samples/set/loops at one rate then another set of samples/loops/.als at another and another session at another rate then I go to use them together and the sample rates are all over the place.

the errors with sample rate conversion (SRC) are really low, it's more about how they add up over time.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz