Izotope Iris

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
philipc

Izotope Iris

Post by philipc » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:07 pm

antarktika

Re: Izotope Iris

Post by antarktika » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:08 pm

reminds me of Camel Alchemy. Seems pretty neat.

condra

Post by condra » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:09 pm

Very cool.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:52 pm

That does look pretty cool, looking forward to being able to try the demo once things settle down here.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:29 pm

Very nice interface and fun.

Unfortunately the Radius RT mode (which is necessary to preserve the length of the sample at different pitches) introduces a nasty clicky noise on the start of a sound (regardless of attach setting). Apparently it is suggested to raise your buffer to 512 samples or higher to get rid of this. Makes it a lot less usable.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:22 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
Unfortunately the Radius RT mode (which is necessary to preserve the length of the sample at different pitches) introduces a nasty clicky noise on the start of a sound (regardless of attach setting). Apparently it is suggested to raise your buffer to 512 samples or higher to get rid of this. Makes it a lot less usable.
Have you engaged high quality mode?
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:46 am

Anubis wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:
Have you engaged high quality mode?
Tried it with or without. Doesn't actually matter what buffer setting either, always get the click with radius.
Professional Shark Jumper.

rs3d

Post by rs3d » Thu May 03, 2012 11:31 pm

Does anyone know if Iris will support Bitmap Import/Export?

Fernando Carvalho

Post by Fernando Carvalho » Fri May 04, 2012 1:15 am

rs3d wrote:Does anyone know if Iris will support Bitmap Import/Export?
It won´t

rs3d

Post by rs3d » Fri May 04, 2012 5:55 am

Ahh, probably because of RX 2 I guess...

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri May 04, 2012 11:01 pm

Last day for the sale.

I couldn't find any clicking noises but maybe I'm not doing the right thing to reproduce it. I just went into preferences & checked Radius RT quality mode, no clicking even at the beginning & end of the samples while looping. I could get clicking if I adjusted the spectrum selection while a chord was held, but that didn't seem anything major to me.

Does anyone else besides me think that this would be a whole lot more useful for things other than ambient sounds if there were only a way to select time or pitch quantized areas along the waveform? If you could select zones of the spectrum in half step increments along the vertical axis & beats in 64ths along the horizontal axis it would really open up the possibilities & a lot easier to make sounds other than atonal & arrhythmic ambient noises.

I like the concept so far, just contemplating how useful it would be in a non-ambient musical context. Selecting parts of the spectrum yields different sounds than a filter. That's the main/only thing it does differently that would be a reason to buy it.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sat May 05, 2012 5:07 am

icedsushi wrote:Last day for the sale.

I couldn't find any clicking noises but maybe I'm not doing the right thing to reproduce it. I just went into preferences & checked Radius RT quality mode, no clicking even at the beginning & end of the samples while looping. I could get clicking if I adjusted the spectrum selection while a chord was held, but that didn't seem anything major to me.

Does anyone else besides me think that this would be a whole lot more useful for things other than ambient sounds if there were only a way to select time or pitch quantized areas along the waveform? If you could select zones of the spectrum in half step increments along the vertical axis & beats in 64ths along the horizontal axis it would really open up the possibilities & a lot easier to make sounds other than atonal & arrhythmic ambient noises.

I like the concept so far, just contemplating how useful it would be in a non-ambient musical context. Selecting parts of the spectrum yields different sounds than a filter. That's the main/only thing it does differently that would be a reason to buy it.
Radius RT's sound is good and stereo, but its glitch issue is being discussed in KVR too. FWIW, It doesn't import/export spectral image data. You can't break through from time domain as it doesn't offer time modification.
If you need to compare others before firing your money, try demo of Alchemy and Harmor. Alchemy 1's architecture is little bit old but it still shines. Harmor's versatility of resynthesis and additive method is magic. Each handle's traditional synth sound practically than Iris.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Sat May 05, 2012 3:10 pm

I decided not to buy it for now. One thing I was thinking about is, selecting/enhancing horizontal areas of the spectrum, couldn't you get a similar effect by just using a comb filter? I haven't compared side by side though.

Being able to draw curvy shapes along the spectrum seemed more of a novelty than an expressive musical gesture without any kind of pitch/time quantizing. It creates some nice textures & modulation to static held sounds, but I couldn't convince myself that feature alone made it worth buying right now.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Sat May 05, 2012 5:22 pm

After having tried the demo, I'd say that it's a bit easier to use than Alchemy (damn rendering time), but at about half the price with 1/5 of the features, I'm going to stick with Alchemy.

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Mon May 07, 2012 5:00 am

antarktika wrote:After having tried the demo, I'd say that it's a bit easier to use than Alchemy (damn rendering time), but at about half the price with 1/5 of the features, I'm going to stick with Alchemy.
virsyn poseidon blows them both away
far away
and i own all three btw