Ableton Live totally came to rescue this Psy Trance project

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Linear Phase

Ableton Live totally came to rescue this Psy Trance project

Post by Linear Phase » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:28 am

I am so thrilled with the results I got tonight, mastering my latest in Live. This is a whole long story, so I will just get to the point. About to years ago.. or just ever so slightly less. I sort of, stopped producing.. I was so exhausted. I needed an, "artist break." I didn't take a break from music though, as I played a lot of electric guitar, while I let my mind settle, from the production side a little bit.

Anyways.. I'm back to producing, and I'm, "back with a vengeance!" LOL... No seriously, I just bought a killer machine. Quad core, Windows 64 bit, etc, etc. But the truth is, I've come to do a lot of work in Renoise... I just love it. However, no way, would I ever sell my license to Ableton Live. And tonight, was the the night, I was so happy I had access to this software!

Ok, so Reaper, was giving me buzzing, when I was trying to, "home brew master," this latest track. I think Reaper hates my built in audio card. Well, tough luck for Reaper, cause the economy is still rough, and during my production break, I got rid of a lot of stuff, and changed my whole set up. Well, I was getting this buzzing, and I... I need a new audio card, but whatever. the buzzing was spooking me. I didn't hear it in Renoise. But it shows up in Audacity. It doesn't play in itunes.. So I'm like..... I really need to download my copy of Ableton from my account and check this out...

So, I install my Live 7... I haven't upgraded to 8, but I am totally upgrading to 9, when it arrives... But I install my Live 7, and I start to listen to my track. No buzzing! This is good. If Live was buzzing, I was in trouble. So I'm convinced, that the mix I hear, is the one, everybody else is going to hear. Cause you know.. Renoise + Live totally outweighs Reaper + Audacity.

So anyways, I check my mix in Live, and I head back into Renoise to make some edits. Namely, tighten up the volume balance on just a few things. I render my track again, and BOOM! I totally home brew master in Ableton.

But here is the funny thing! I used only Live's tools, for the master. Even that reverb from like version 1. Here is the screen shot, of the master fx chain:

So if you want to listen to the track, its @ soundcloud...

Ableton Live 9!! I can not wait for 64 bit Live!

:D :P

http://soundcloud.com/adler_j/01-shadow-sky-master-two
Linear Phase has left the building..

Street Spirit

Re: Ableton Live totally came to rescue this Psy Trance project

Post by Street Spirit » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:53 pm

hey sounds good man, also a fan of the psy sounds. really into Liquid Soul and Phaxe right now. pretty much anything out of Iboga. so you made that track in Renoize and mixed/master in Live?

Linear Phase

Re: Ableton Live totally came to rescue this Psy Trance project

Post by Linear Phase » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:35 pm

Street Spirit wrote:hey sounds good man, also a fan of the psy sounds. really into Liquid Soul and Phaxe right now. pretty much anything out of Iboga. so you made that track in Renoize and mixed/master in Live?

Thanks bro, for the cool words. Anyways.. I did the post production in Ableton... What you see in the screen shot. -- I shared the screen shot with the community, that way, if anybody was interested in what a master chain in Ableton would look like, "one example," maybe something like that.

The master, is the final stage, post mix. I call my masters, "home brew," or, "moonshine," masters, because I believe, a real album master, would be done by a Mastering Engineer, in a Mastering Studio. However, "bedroom producers," need to have some way, of preparing their tracks for release and the, "home brew," master is one of those ways. Getting a good master, requires an honest, clear picture, of the final mixdown. I had a lot of trouble getting that in Reaper. I was hearing this buzzing in the 300 - 9000 frequency range, I think its my settings, or the built in audio card, Reaper is unhappy with.

So it was driving me crazy.. I'm all, "well that wasn't there when I produced this, and its not there listening to the mixdown in itunes." So I was like, "well, I bet get my copy of Ableton Live open, and see if I can sort this out."

And Ableton really sorted it for me, and I'm just so happy, I can't wait for Live 9. I'd love to see a multiband compressor, and mastering limiter on par with PSP Xenon.
Linear Phase has left the building..