All times are UTC

Post subject: Easy way to map akai lpd8 pads to drums?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:55 pm 

Hi,

I just got an Akai lpd8, I can use the knobs easily enough but the pads are a mystery! The manual tells me nothing that makes sense - No, I dont know anything about midi, I just want to hit the pads and make the drum sound of my choice.

Is it hard? I know I'll get there in the end, the light bulb will suddenly go on - but can anyone help me get there more quickly?

Mucho thanks!
Andy

EDIT: got it!! Bit crap though isn't it

Post subject: Re: Easy way to map akai lpd8 pads to drums?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:36 pm 

how did you do it and why do you think it's crap? (I love it)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:27 pm 

i like mine...

there is definitely more than one way to skin a drum in Live.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:15 am 

My Akai MPD8 is possibly the best value MIDI toy I've ever purchased - only the MPK Mini (basically a guy's rampant rabbit) beats it for fun.

The LPD8 easily found in live's instruments in preferences and subsequently auto mapped.. Works perfectly with Drum Rack.

What more could you want? The pads work pretty damn good (trick is not resting your fingers on each tap, but pulling them straight back up) - it's a fantastic way to lay down rhythm!

My only wish would be for a double-depth LPD8 with 8 pads (Akai's 8 pad MPD8 is way too big)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:07 pm 

I am totally new to Live and pretty much MIDI too. I bought an Akai LPD8 and I am pretty clueless as to how to configure it with Live. I have it showing up in the dropdown on the MIDI track as the input. But, I don't know how to change drum sounds or configure them in any way. How did you get it working? If you can just point me to an online doc or video I am sure I can figure it out.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:11 pm 

I bought 2 and put one above the other for a cheap and cheerful MPC style 16 pads. 90 quid!

Make great cue/fx add ons for DJ software, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:48 pm 

No drama at my end! Just plugged it in and the latest (or recent) version of Live has the LPD8 as an auto mapped instrument.

Then load up drum racks and you'll see from the flashing on its grid which two rows are aligned to the LPD8 by default.

If you want to change this, download the app from the Akai website.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:38 pm 

alexjholland wrote:
No drama at my end! Just plugged it in and the latest (or recent) version of Live has the LPD8 as an auto mapped instrument.

Then load up drum racks and you'll see from the flashing on its grid which two rows are aligned to the LPD8 by default.

If you want to change this, download the app from the Akai website.

+1
Live 8 and the LPD were friends right away for me. having said that, i have a nano kontrol and use it for knobs and faders (when i'm using my laptop).

it's been a while since i used either since i do most music making on a tower style computer, but the LPD pretty much just worked... the nano took some tweaking.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:25 am 

Just got an LPD8, got a problem though: Which is the easiest way to switch between bottom and top bar of a drumrack? Usually its only the bottom bar. When I change programs, the midi controls become all messed up...?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:56 pm 

Let me rephrase that question:

The LPD8 is plug and play in Live, right? Here's what i wanna do: I want my LPD8 to instantly control impulse, drum racks and sampler. When i start with a drum kit, it works perfectly, pads as well as the knobs. When i then turn to an impulse instrument it also works, but when I get back to the drum kit, nothing won't work no more.
I guess this is the way most people would want to use their LPD, so can anyone recommend a script or something?

Cheers :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:40 pm 

Push it... (Puns welcome)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:39 pm 

andyr237 wrote:
Hi,

I just got an Akai lpd8, I can use the knobs easily enough but the pads are a mystery! The manual tells me nothing that makes sense - No, I dont know anything about midi, I just want to hit the pads and make the drum sound of my choice.

Is it hard? I know I'll get there in the end, the light bulb will suddenly go on - but can anyone help me get there more quickly?

Mucho thanks!
Andy

EDIT: got it!! Bit crap though isn't it

tard,
why didnt you gave a clue....