Why Ableton's session view should be in 3D..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
alexjholland

Why Ableton's session view should be in 3D..

Post by alexjholland » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:06 pm

Ok, as I work through my Project folder tweaking, tuning and clearing dead wood, I'm looking to my next stage - selecting the best components to bounce down to .wavs for my live Sets.
I've realised - ideally speaking - it seems I would like a 3-dimensional session view, in which as well as going down vertically through scenes, I can also roll 'through', or 'backwards' ( in terms of depth) to select sets of clips to combine..
Live is currently X - Y, so I'm talking about adding a Z dimension.. Much like a vending machine, with up, down and depth backwards..

Quite how you'd control it is another thing.. Perhaps with mind control or it's projected with lasers in 3D?

This is because, essentially, I have two variables - both of which should operate independently of each other for me:

- Different scenes: You could call them 'songs' or themes, that naturally go down row by row.. Ableton does this fine already.
- Beats to slice in: Now I also run these down vertically alongside instruments and beats, but it means that each different slice is effectively assigned to each scene launch butten. I don't want that. They should be independent.

Here's an (admittedly poorly organised and simple) example. I only have a couple of scenes, but you can see my long row of slices to access, which I want to be independent of the rest.

I would like my songs to operate on their own and then have an arsenal of beats I can easily tap into at any point..
Currently, I paste them down a column, knowing that I often have to move out of the five rows of scenes my APC40 has in one go to access other slices.. If I start getting to 20 rows, I may even have to copy in slices again so they're near enough to use..

Alternatively (and more realistically) a set of columns that operate independently would be great.

Imagine an APC40 with your entire set in rows, launched by corresponding scene select buttons.. And then an APC20 loaded with nothing but sliced beats to play with.
On the screen they'd be clearly separated by a line.

I'm just thinking aloud, what do you guys think? Do you get frustrated with an X-Y configuration? Have you got any solutions?

friend_kami

Re: Why Ableton's session view should be in 3D..

Post by friend_kami » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:29 pm

alexjholland wrote:Ok, as I work through my Project folder tweaking, tuning and clearing dead wood, I'm looking to my next stage - selecting the best components to bounce down to .wavs for my live Sets.
I've realised - ideally speaking - it seems I would like a 3-dimensional session view, in which as well as going down vertically through scenes, I can also roll 'through', or 'backwards' ( in terms of depth) to select sets of clips to combine..
Live is currently X - Y, so I'm talking about adding a Z dimension.. Much like a vending machine, with up, down and depth backwards..

Quite how you'd control it is another thing.. Perhaps with mind control or it's projected with lasers in 3D?

This is because, essentially, I have two variables - both of which should operate independently of each other for me:

- Different scenes: You could call them 'songs' or themes, that naturally go down row by row.. Ableton does this fine already.
- Beats to slice in: Now I also run these down vertically alongside instruments and beats, but it means that each different slice is effectively assigned to each scene launch butten. I don't want that. They should be independent.

Here's an (admittedly poorly organised and simple) example. I only have a couple of scenes, but you can see my long row of slices to access, which I want to be independent of the rest.

I would like my songs to operate on their own and then have an arsenal of beats I can easily tap into at any point..
Currently, I paste them down a column, knowing that I often have to move out of the five rows of scenes my APC40 has in one go to access other slices.. If I start getting to 20 rows, I may even have to copy in slices again so they're near enough to use..

Alternatively (and more realistically) a set of columns that operate independently would be great.

Imagine an APC40 with your entire set in rows, launched by corresponding scene select buttons.. And then an APC20 loaded with nothing but sliced beats to play with.
On the screen they'd be clearly separated by a line.

I'm just thinking aloud, what do you guys think? Do you get frustrated with an X-Y configuration? Have you got any solutions?
yeah, OR you could simply switch to audiogl, which coincidentally is a DAW in 3d.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AudioGL

i think live's session view in 3d is a horrible horrible idea. each to his/her own i guess.

timday

Post by timday » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:38 pm

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but could you slice the audio to a drum rack and control it from a Launchpad or APC20? If you turn the remote on for a Launchpad in Ableton's MIDI preferences, but don't have it as a control surface, then the buttons can act as MIDI triggers on an individual track.

alexjholland

Post by alexjholland » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:42 pm

The 3D was a little tongue in cheek.. I was thinking aloud!

timday, that would be part of the way there - but I should have mentioned that I use the crossfader with those slices too.. So I need that!

timday

Post by timday » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:36 pm

alexjholland wrote:The 3D was a little tongue in cheek.. I was thinking aloud!

timday, that would be part of the way there - but I should have mentioned that I use the crossfader with those slices too.. So I need that!
Soooo - 2 MIDI tracks, 2 drum racks, assign the tracks to the crossfader, have both tracks inputs set to the launchpad/apc so it triggers both racks at once, maybe?

Or, each drum pad has an instrument rack on it, you put the sounds you want to x-fade on two chains in the instrument rack, x-fade the chain zones right across, then MIDI assign the crossfader to the chain selector.

As you may be able to tell, I'm a big fan of drum racks.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:51 pm

I sorta have an idea of what you are talking about. From your post I imagine session view would have the same function as in windows 7 where you can preview windows and scroll through them but,this would only be applied to clips in the session view. Basically one slot could hold many clips waiting to be launched.???
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

timday

Post by timday » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:41 pm

Kind of like playlists in Pro Tools except you could scroll through them maybe. But couldn't you get the same functionality by having a bunch of tracks, with the clips you want in corresponding slots, and grouping them? Or if they're audio clips, using instrument racks and chain zones again.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:42 pm

wearing the glasses would piss me off.

alexjholland

Post by alexjholland » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:29 am

As I say, I wasn't really suggesting Ableton implement 3D.. I was kinda thinking aloud for what a future - say Ableton 23 - might carry..

The solution for me today will clearly be practical..

Thanks timday, I will give those a try. I think what is most likely though, is that I'll just very carefully pick several of the best slices for each scene.. So if a scene is one row, then the next scene will be five rows down - giving me an APC40-grid-filling five rows to fill with slices inbetween.

As ever, the solution is simplicity!