Bootcamp...Live Library wont install properly?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SWAN808

Bootcamp...Live Library wont install properly?

Post by SWAN808 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:03 pm

No matter what I try - (re-install, repair library, move library etc) Ableton is not installing its default library including Live devices presets and Grooves etc....ok when I do a 'repair' then it installs my collision license...but warns me the Live Library is not installed. If I look in the Lib file location - its clear to see - only part library is installed.

This is using the current 8.3 program only Windows installer (redownloaded for good measure). On a bootcamp windows 7 Macbook Pro.

Ive searched high and wide - no answers...I wondered if anyone around here might have a solution/idea...
Last edited by SWAN808 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H20nly

Re: Argh...Live Library wont install

Post by H20nly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:16 pm

what location is it trying to install to? can you see a path during install?

does your bootcamp version of Windows have a C:\ drive or is the partition labeled differently?

SWAN808

Post by SWAN808 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:27 pm

H20nly wrote:what location is it trying to install to? can you see a path during install?

does your bootcamp version of Windows have a C:\ drive or is the partition labeled differently?
ah that could be part of the problem...The windows drive isnt simply called C...its BOOTCAMP C:

However - it 'is' installing some presets...C / User / documents / Ableton...

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:38 pm

i haven't setup anything in bootcamp... i'm a PC user/builder/administrator... which is what made me ask about install paths. there's probably some funny business there. it could be good to take the library that you have now... the incomplete one... and rename it to something like library-old (if you have the space). then try reinstalling, while paying closer attention to the paths and see what you get. if it fails to get you beyond the point you're at now you can delete the new and rename the old library back to it's original label.

on another note, you could try changing the title of the thread to something like "got bootcamp?" or anything that may encourage a bootcamp user click on the link (without pissing them off). i know there are a few knowledgeable (and more importantly - helpful) users on the forum who do dual boot on their Macs.

of course, there is always support@ableton.com

sorry i can't be more help...

SWAN808

Post by SWAN808 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:46 pm

H20nly wrote:i haven't setup anything in bootcamp... i'm a PC user/builder/administrator... which is what made me ask about install paths. there's probably some funny business there. it could be good to take the library that you have now... the incomplete one... and rename it to something like library-old (if you have the space). then try reinstalling, while paying closer attention to the paths and see what you get. if it fails to get you beyond the point you're at now you can delete the new and rename the old library back to it's original label.

on another note, you could try changing the title of the thread to something like "got bootcamp?" or anything that may encourage a bootcamp user click on the link (without pissing them off). i know there are a few knowledgeable (and more importantly - helpful) users on the forum who do dual boot on their Macs.

of course, there is always support@ableton.com

sorry i can't be more help...
thanks thats good suggestions tho...I have tried re-install and the same thing happened...I wonder if I can change the name of my C drive without hurting the boot up process...

H20nly

Re: Bootcamp...Live Library wont install properly?

Post by H20nly » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:00 am

that title change should help.

i know with Windows you can't just change the drive letter of the OS. in fact, i once had an issue with installing my Live library during an update from Live 6 to 7 that came back to a drive letter problem. this was the Ableton response:
Ableton Support wrote:"-open Live-go to 'preferences->file folder'-write down or remember the path which is listed under 'library path' (FYI, this will be the root folder of Live's library). If necessary, set the path to a reasonable folder on your hard drive by clicking the 'browse' button.-close Live-browse to the library root folder on your hard drive using Windows Explorer -if necessary, make a backup of your own projects or presets (just in case you saved any within the library root folder)-trash all contents from the library root folder Now download and install all *Live 7 Live Packs* from:http://www.ableton.com/livepacks"
they missed the mark a bit... so i did this:
H20nly wrote:The ACTUAL fix that took place a few hours after my last post was to assign the old library's (hard drive) name and drive letter to my partition where the "new" library resides. I think its safe to assume at this point that projects save the path where a sample resides. So, if that changes, even if your preferences are pointed to the right place, the samples can not be found. I'm guessing this is because you can use samples that are outside the LIVE library in your projects.
the problem with this as it relates to you is that i have my Live library on one drive X:\ but Live is installed on my OS drive C:\.