Reason?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nylarch

Re: Reason?

Post by nylarch » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:37 am

Scream absolutely rocks and the reverb is quite nice too.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

drumboy02

Post by drumboy02 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:17 am

I have never had an issue with using Rewire, should I expect to have one? Also, I have to agree with some of you that the sequencer section is pretty lame and I prefer to use live for arranging my music.

shipwreck

Post by shipwreck » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:18 am

When I am, I'm rewiring into Live. I'm still on 4 and I occasionally find use for the synthesis (which is quite good) and I do have some fun with the cv routing. Personally I've found no reason to spend money on the upgrade to 6.
mholloway wrote:I'm bewildered by Reason 6...do people actually LIKE having a mixer that effin' huge on their screen?
.. and I totally agree with that. The latest UI is very difficult to navigate in my opinion.

People make great music with Reason, and it's come a long way since it's start. I just find it functions better for me as an adjunct piece of software than a primary DAW.
Ableton Certified Trainer

Alec Ness (Su Na)
Instructor at Slam Academy
http://www.alecness.com
http://www.slamacademy.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/sunabeats

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:55 am

mholloway wrote:I'm bewildered by Reason 6...do people actually LIKE having a mixer that effin' huge on their screen? on my 17inch MPB you have to scroll all over the place to view different channels, it's literally impossible to view a full mixer at once, even just *vertically* for a single channel. Add to that the fact that you have to page between not two but three main screen sections -- mixer, sequencer, rack -- and basically you spend all your time mousing around the globe. and the rack always has a bunch of screen space wasted with big black areas for where you don't have anything loaded, but you can't minimize this to make room for actually useful visible stuff.

in sum i just think the UI is a total nightmare. I'm glad I stuck with Reason 5 and didn't upgrade, the demo had me absolutely baffled.

-M
GUI put me off after beta testing Record but later redescovered it and got hooked because of the amazing timestrech algo (specially that it complements Live perfectly, does great where Live fails). Once you start using 2 -3 displays the GUI seems 1000x better then of Live. 2 displays are enough for me 1. Mixer (which is amazing SSL emulator) 2.sequencer/rack. BTW. I find that pseudo rack hardware look totally unpractical absolutely disgusting esthetically, something so unscandinavian, they should ask the designer of their iOS app Figure to bring Reason to XXI century.

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:36 pm

I have Reason 4, haven't upgraded since then, and I have been using Reason since 2.0. I love it. I'd love to get my hands on 5 or 6, but getting Live 8 Suite was the software priority for a while (got it!), and my next priority is a new laptop.

I love the sound quality on most of the synths, LOVE the combinator and ReDrum, but I've actually found that some of the effects get muddy quickly (more quickly than DAW effects, that is to say). However I'll second the poster who said the whole program is REALLY efficient with CPU usage.

Chris