Need floor tom/kick sample for live percussion acoustic gig?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
moonpie

Need floor tom/kick sample for live percussion acoustic gig?

Post by moonpie » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:25 pm

Im putting together a small acousticish duo for some gigs. Something simple - a midi keyboard for some pads/organ, a midi percussion pad for some drums, and an acoustic/electric guitar. Not electronic, but using the technology.

I want to have a simple general use weighty bassy floor tom/kick sample I can use live that will be subtle enough not to overwhelm the music and sound "like a sample". But I need something that will carry in a small venue and will sound deepish.

My experience hasnt been great trying to achieve this - just even thinking about it gives me hives. I wouldnt worry about it if it was a pure electronic gig - people kind of adjust to the sound of the instruments - adjust their expectations - and a good mix will paper the cracks of each sound - while this would be far more noticeable and exposed - if I get it wrong mixing it before the gig ive kinda ruined the gig. It has to sit right with just vocals and electric guitar essentially.

Im not sure if I can trust my mixing speakers alone to create/mix it, because - well, its going to be a real world/small environment with people around, and different speaker systems. To me - Its a flip of a coin whether it sounds good or not.

So any advice or experience is really appreciated. Even if somebody had a go-to sample that would work in those situations, that would be amazing.

Thanks!

dancing Ray

Re: Need floor tom/kick sample for live percussion acoustic gig?

Post by dancing Ray » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:23 am

Hi,
I´d probably go with an 808 Kick.
Assign three knobs for attack, pitch and decay and you should be fine, and flexible.
For a deepish sound you´ll need some bass-power, though. You should think of bringing a subwoofer...

Ray
Spiralgroove wrote:a little quantization never hurt nobody